Game Dynamic

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Vaizer

Game Dynamic

Post by Vaizer »

Hey. First post here so don't scrutinize too bad :)

Well, first-off I am a giant Suikoden fan. Loyal since S1 way back on the PS1 and will probably fork out money for every game they eventually make. With that said, the one dynamic I rather enjoyed, though a small feature, was the upgrading of the player castle with every set number of recruits from the SoD. I think that could be expanded upon greatly. That in itself is such a unique system if you really think about it. They'd have a fan-base on that alone, because of the new age teens and their farmville and cityville. They did this with Breathe of Fire 1 and 2 and it had a glorious following... God rest that series soul and even slightly in Kingdom of Amalur: The Reckoning!! If there was one thing I could see... whether it be Suikoden (god willing) or any other.. the fact I do X quest and recruit y people then z happens at castle, thus allowing to easily tie into the more epic army battles that were shown in S1 - S2 and even S3 (I believe) too!! Konami has potential within their grasp and fail to see it to reality. This makes me slightly sad inside.

In conclusion, because all things will end. I will say this, I refuse to give up and I really wish something more could be done. How will the series ever get more fans if they only produce PSP and DS crap? (I have the DS game... it blows in comparison to the earlier additions) We see what happened to Final Fantasy Tactics.. Such a beautiful game with full of potential and they make FFTA1 and A2 on the DS. Although, they did revamp and put the original game on PSP with cutscenes (gotta hand it to them, I liked it.) which apparently sold damn well.

Anyway.. I want to know who else liked this dynamic feature?
Pesmerga2013

Re: Game Dynamic

Post by Pesmerga2013 »

I also really enjoyed the leveling up the castles, and also the recruiting of so many characters just made for plenty to do besides going straight through the main game.

The only thing i would like to see is have less recruitable characters, but each character having more backstory and involvement.

For example, instead of 128 characters, maybe 90 or so, with 50/60 being recruited through the main plot, and 30 /40 extra characters , each with their own back story and possible extra scenes or relevance to the main story?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I loved the castle leveling up and growing. It made it feel like you are recruiting a real community. In my head I was imagining Mathius and Sanchez assigning people construction duty while they moved rooms around and opened new floors. I always wanted one of the Stars in later games to be an architect thatyou could use to manually redesign your castle. That would be a lot of fun.

Pesemerga2013, you can't really have fewer recruitable characters. The number 108 is intrinsic to the game.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I would love more sidequests for the characters. I think V did this right and most optional recruits get their time in the spotlight; at least more than "Hm, ok, you talked to me once, I want to fight for you!"
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yes, the expanding HQ has always been a nice feature (the fairy village in the BOF games was kinda just a side feature for the sake of it, but in Suikoden it is more central to the main plot because you are raising a rebellion and eventually founding a new country) And it's nice that characters add on features that relate to their profession, so the cook provides you with a cafeteria, farmers give you a place to plant crops and raise animals, instructors give you a dojo and so on, so each character you recruit has his or her own little environment for you to interact with.

One minor thing that bothers me is the use of elevators. I hardly ever used them to be honest, because the HQs aren't usually that big, but I don't like the way they always came up with a different origin story in each game. It was invented by Sergei. No, it was Adlai's invention. No, Manu invented the first elevator 150 years ago. Older than that actually - it was a Sindar invention. And if elevator's have been around this long, why don't all castles have them installed? Well, I don't know if modern palaces in the real world use elevators, or if it ruins the kind of classical charm of living in a castle, but yeah, it's just a minor unnecessary thing that bugs me.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

The thing that really bugged me about the castle in Suikoden 1 is that the stairs didn't line up correctly. You would enter the stairwell on one floor by going in the right-hand door (which featured stairs going up). Then go around a U-bend-shaped stairwell and exit through the left-hand door. When on the next main floor, you would be standing outside the right-hand door again (with stairs going down). That's some nice non-Euclidian architecture going on there.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I'd like to see a character who came from modern world,and he could use a modern gun as a weapon and wear a suit with tie. Let's consider that Viki teleported him,by accident...lol