Should Suikoden add a character relationship feature?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
kratoscar2008

Should Suikoden add a character relationship feature?

Post by kratoscar2008 »

Given Suikoden 5 Lyon and Lymsleia affection feature was added, i thing the Suikoden series could use a character affection system, that would make all 108 stars of destiny more unforgettable and based on the higuest relationship you can get a different ending, of course at the end that the game lets you choose who you want to get the ending with.

if there are too much characters then focus only on the main characters or only the girls, that would be good (Given that the Persona series gained popularity because of the social links).

Im i right or wrong?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Should Suikoden add a character relationship feature?

Post by patapi »

Minus the variety of endings, there is a relationship feature in Tsumuji, which ties to eventually unlocking sub-classes supposedly. Though honestly I haven't really messed around with the option. This actually works though, given the "record-breaking" size of Tsumuji's playable roster.

Of course, it's nothing so dramatic like those Social Links.
kratoscar2008

Post by kratoscar2008 »

patapi wrote:Minus the variety of endings, there is a relationship feature in Tsumuji, which ties to eventually unlocking sub-classes supposedly. Though honestly I haven't really messed around with the option. This actually works though, given the "record-breaking" size of Tsumuji's playable roster.

Of course, it's nothing so dramatic like those Social Links.
but you agree that suikoden should have some kind of character affection system, like the Star Ocean Series or Growlanser, right?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Suikoden V stored relationship points for MANY characters, which is why there were many questions on how to recruit certain characters - depending on earlier dialogue choices/actions with the characters, it made it harder or easier to recruit them when you asked them (especially Oboro, Murad, Zegai.. Mohsen as well).
in terms of gaining a BFF or lover like in Growlanser, i think it is pretty unnecessary, especially with a large cast - Konami would have to put a lot development time making many unique events for the characters (you could have a generic set of things, but that would look lazy and get negative feedback), and they probably wouldn't want to develop this system work for all 107 other Stars, which could receive even more negative feedback. also, the Growlanser series is borderline dating-sim, which is really weird at times.

i WOULD like to see many optional plots that help develop the characters further, but you don't need 1 full story for each character-- many of the Stars already have relationships or gain friends in the army, so they could feature these types of developments in the optional storylines.
riulyn

Post by riulyn »

I also wouldn't care for gaining a BFF or lover via relationship points but it would be cool to unlock special scenes if you managed to get the relationship points high enough between certain characters in your army, and not just limit these to the main characters. Something more than just unite attacks and bath scenes that you get by just having those characters recruited and in the same party once.