Suikoden Team Q&A

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
SpecialNewb

Re: Suikoden Team Q&A

Post by SpecialNewb »

Well having read through the questions on both sites now there some bad and some good though I guess I'll state right out that having the comentary right in between the questions was really fanboyish and unprofessional to me.

I rather like the part about their openness to having a female lead. I've been hoping for this for many years now. Even if it's just equivocation, at least they aren't denying it outright. All in all mostly boilerplate. I guess I'll go back on work on my Suikoden Total War mod.
Alestes

Post by Alestes »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Did they refuse to answer 7 questions for some particular reason? And those have to be some of the most non-commital answers I've ever seen.
It's never really a good idea to ask whiny rude questions as it rarely gives any decent answer. While the missing questions didn't flat out say "your new Suikoden games suck because they're not 2-D. How do you respond to that?", they pretty much implied it.

And of course, the riled up fanboys fail to see the rudeness of their own behavior, after all, they are the defenders of the "true" Suikoden way :mrgreen:

The questions needed to be more diplomatic, and the answers needed to be less diplomatic :P
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

This still hurts to read, even months later.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Oppenheimer wrote:
kte03 wrote:12. Are you looking at releasing Suikoden VI on any other platforms beside the Playstation 3, especially given its rather smaller install base when compared to the Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360, each of which have a stronger hold in both Japan and the United States respectively?

If they said yes to this, they wouldn't have excluded the question. I think they were gonna say no cept there's gonna be a fanboy war if they did. Like, ZOMG WHY DIDNT YOU RELEASE IT ON 360!? PS3 SUCKS!!!
Well, also since it's a very "Japanese" game they might not want to put it on the American console.
What exactly does that mean? So all the other very "Japanese" games that have come out were ok but not a Suikoden VI because it's too Japanese?

I just wish I knew if they were ever going to even do a S6, I really don't understand why not.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

It was just a fleeting idea, all I was saying is that I know in Japan there's a stigma attached to the XBox360 as not being one of the homeland created consoles whereas the other two are. It could be a factor in where to put the game. Just look at the sales ratios for games and consoles and you'll see that the Xbox gets much lower sales in Japan than it does in North America and Europe.

And about Suikoden 6, it appears as if Konami isn't much into announcing Suikoden games very far ahead of time. Look at the DS game, it was announced only very shortly before it came out. So we probably won't know until right before the release date that it's in the works. I don't know why they do it that way, certainly not all companies operate that way (ie. Blizzard, 3d Realms) and they also don't do that for their Castlevania games, but it's up to them to decide when and where to create hype.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Ah ok now I understand your point better Oppenheimer, I never thought the console wars would get to a point of National or cultural pride but I guess it can and does.

I don't need to know when or what, just if there IS going to be a S6 or not. Though if any game series deserved or needed hype and promotion I would say Suikoden. I mean when you say console RPG, Suikoden is still not the first game that comes to mind. It just seemed like this Q&A wanted to focus on the new DS game and forget the past series altogether.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Oppenheimer wrote:It was just a fleeting idea, all I was saying is that I know in Japan there's a stigma attached to the XBox360 as not being one of the homeland created consoles whereas the other two are. It could be a factor in where to put the game. Just look at the sales ratios for games and consoles and you'll see that the Xbox gets much lower sales in Japan than it does in North America and Europe.
Well, Star Ocean 4 was a success in Japan and it wa son the XBOX...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Perhaps, but Xbox360 is still not selling very well in Japan, even if it is getting better:

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/20/xbox- ... this-year/

But, regardless, it appears there will be a Suikoden VI and it'll be on both consoles: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 36&t=11468
Non Serviam

Post by Non Serviam »

ahh, public relations AKA corporate BSing...I don't know which field I despise more...sales, marketing or PR
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Antimatzist wrote:Well, Star Ocean 4 was a success in Japan and it wa son the XBOX...
Apparently a certain transaction made both Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia timed exclusive on the 360, but now that both are getting a release on PS3, it's quite telling.

Unfortunately Suikoden isn't as big a franchise, or maybe Konami would have been offered a similar deal.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

patapi wrote:
Antimatzist wrote:Well, Star Ocean 4 was a success in Japan and it wa son the XBOX...
Apparently a certain transaction made both Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia timed exclusive on the 360, but now that both are getting a release on PS3, it's quite telling.

Unfortunately Suikoden isn't as big a franchise, or maybe Konami would have been offered a similar deal.
From what I've read, some of the early exclusive 360 JRPGs were a result of the available devkits when the projects were started. Though I could see the publishers milking this for some money from Microsoft.

Regardless, the era of the 360-exclusive JRPG seems to be over - Magna Carta 2 was the only prominent one for a long time, and I don't know of any in the future. One reason could be the success of PS3 JRPGs (such as Tales of Vesperia PS3 selling more than twice the 360 version, a year later) greatly driving up the price of any exclusivity deals, to the point where it's no longer an attractive prospect for Microsoft.

It would make the most financial sense to make it multi-platform, but JRPG developers don't seem to be as eager as WRPG developers to see their games on multiple platforms. Hopefully Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment means that Konami is starting to change their tune, and the game is enough of a success to continue the trend.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I'm still very skeptical about the new Vandal Hearts being download only, but looks like that is the way that this industry is headed for. The PSP Go included.