Favorite game of the main series?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.

What is your favorite game of the main series overall?

You may select 1 option

View results

mycenion

Re: Favorite game of the main series?

Post by mycenion »

my favorite is 1 because of the great story, and original gameplay

2 - i cant deny how awesome it was. wish i could play it again

3- didnt like the gameplay, or upgrading system. but A+ story

4- love the rune cannons, but game was too short, too easy

5- worst of the series- but i loved it
Kareeen

Post by Kareeen »

i choose S1. 2&3 are awesome while 1 is the beginning of all. i love Tir so much and i always kept him in my team in S2 xD
Angra

Post by Angra »

They are all great games but I love Suikoden IV the best. There is something ethereal about coastal and port like towns. The mystery of exploring the unknown ocean sailing through it and discovering new lands gives me a great sense of adventure. I also like it because it takes place at least a hundred years before any other Suikoden game so it adds a-lot of questions and answers to the Suikoden history and lore.

Suikoden I story with Windy and the King as cliche as it was executed and delivered in a way that I enjoyed very much.

Suikoden II had an amazing story and interesting characters. It brought up more questions about the characters than anything.

Suikoden V had a very colorful cast and crazy story that sometimes made no sense but I enjoyed it never the less.
NashLatkje

Post by NashLatkje »

Ok so, Sll was my first Suikoden game. I loved it, it's what got me in to the whole series, but it falls short of first and lands in second. Sl was the second game of the series I played, loved almost as much as Sll, so put that in 3rd. Slll pulls ahead in first place for a few reasons. I was connected to this story more than the first two games mainly cause of the play through, it's hard to miss a beat. I love the perspective of three (four) characters. I'm a fan of the upgrade & battle system, and finally you get to play as freaking Nash. Nuff said.
"Adults have their reasons. You children who see the world in black and white will learn soon enough about shades of grey."
ChannelF

Post by ChannelF »

Suikoden III is my favorite. The multiple perspectives allowed for many more characters to have prominent roles in the story compared to other games in the series. Although it still bugs me that you don't ever get a Stone Tablet of Promise in your castle. Suikoden IV is my least favorite game and after finishing it the first time I didn't think I'd ever play it again. But eventually I did and I enjoyed it more the second time around, although it's still far inferior to the other main games.
Willster328

Post by Willster328 »

As far as games go, I think Suikoden 2 is the best. But in regards to actual plot or story, I think Suikoden 3 is by FAR and away the best. Suikoden 3 has all the war-related elements of the 1st two, except with the final "aha" moment of where the story is going. Not to mention that Luc, Yuber, and a Silverberg being the main villains was a fantastic way to go, but also featuring former characters as Easter Eggs.

To me, the future of Suikoden was Harmonia and Hikusaak. Anything not going in that direction IMO is anticlimactic, because the stage has finally been set for where the undoing of the universe will come into play.

Plus, Suikoden 3 featured just SO many gosh-darned Runes, and for the first time really delved into the psychological aspect of owning a True Rune. It delved into Geddoe's sadness over it, Hugo's adaptation to inheriting the pain of the memories, etc that hadn't been touched upon in Suikoden 1 or 2.
sagiri0718

Post by sagiri0718 »

i enjoyed playing suikoden V because the SoD. When it comes to storyline, i'll choose suikoden II.

#Sorry for my bad english.
Tir_McDohl

Post by Tir_McDohl »

In order I would say II, I, III, V and IV. Really wish they continued the series, I am playing V again now, never got to beat it with 108 characters, at least I dont remember doing so
LaNkie18

Post by LaNkie18 »

All of them are my favorite
infionloop

Post by infionloop »

It is or was definitely Suikoden 2.

Can't wait if 6 is really coming out, there are rumours tho, Suikoden 6
LoisRowe

Post by LoisRowe »

one of my fav is Suikoden V - Sun Rune War
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I have always been a supporter of 2 as the best in the series, but my appreciation for 3 has gone up as the years go by. It has some weird aesthetic issues (cowboys, a marine drill sergeant, and a certain gym teacher come to mind), and the ending seems rushed, but it has a really innovative approach to storytelling and I LOVE the Trinity Sight System. It gives a very thorough and layered view of world events seeing them from different perspectives. The first time I played it, I did Hugo 1 first and I thought, "Wow, the Zexen Knights are @holes!" but then playing as Chris made me see things completely differently. Then playing as Geddoe really tied it all together. The three Chapter 1's are a masterpiece when all three have been viewed.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Suikoden 2 is the best, but S1 just holds a close place in my heart. I have a lot of fond memories playing it as a kid and i feel like it's the best game in the series to just pick up and play... Maybe that's due to the short length, but i feel like i can start a playthrough and beat it within a few days just for the nostalgia. It's definitely the one i replayed the most.
mikeecs

Post by mikeecs »

I voted Suikoden 2 for having the best "main story".
Great animation, great battle experience (except for map battle), and wonderful music (thanks for Miki Higashino !)
They have good character development and more (a little) story when we are recruiting people (compare to Suikoden 1 which most of character just join randomly without any reason.

However I still want to say that Suikoden 3 have the best story which gives us view from 3-5 character (might be 6 if we count Koroku's view XD), which gives us more complete storyline, and more reasoning between each character's decision. However the poor battle system (pairing? only 3 choise instead of 6?), the battle animation (imo, still better on Suikoden 2), make me rate suikoden 3 much below of Suikoden 2.

Really the pairing system sucks!
(the friendly fire system is not soo bad I just need to ignore using fire runes, but pairing system cannot be ignored, it will be on all battles)
Mondo

Post by Mondo »

Suikoden 1 is my favorite. It's pretty underrated compared to the sequels. It was also the first Suikoden game I ever played too.

My favorite Suikoden games in order would be: S1> S2> S3= S5> S4