Favorite game of the main series?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.

What is your favorite game of the main series overall?

You may select 1 option

View results

Celes
Global Admin

Favorite game of the main series?

Post by Celes »

You may vote only once, and your decision cannot be changed.

The topic can be used for discussion concerning the poll or posting your motives :)
Chris_Lightfellow

Re: Favorite game of the main series

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I voted for Suikoden IV. It is by far my favorite in the series. There were so many things in it that I found useful and intriguing and felt that should have continued in S5, but were not. I won't go into detail unless asked, but overall I liked forging armors, change of weapon appearance, training hall, and the lifelike movements of the characters. Yes, Lazlo's run was kinda weird, but it was realistic and fluid.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Whoah, cool! I never knew there was a poll on Suikosource! And yeah, favorite topic available! =)

Suikoden II! No doubt! Though I love S4 too, like Chris.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

We don't normally allow polls, apparently Celes is being generous.

For my actual choice that's a tough one. I really liked Suikoden III. I also really liked Suikoden V. V has New Game +, III had trinity sight system. V has a slow opening, III has crossing through the mountains and plains for no reason.

It's hard to pick. I think I'll go with III in the end. At least it has a decent narcissist, no one is silent, a female protagonist and I like the war game system better.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i go with Suikoden I, the game that started it all. the sequels are just cheap knock-offs!!!!
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I had to go with the Second Fire Bringer. S1 hooked me into the series long ago. The tragedy of the deaths of Odessa, Gremio, Teo and Ted was just so much more real than anything in any other game I played. (incidentally, what characters do [story] has way more to do with how real a game is than what they look like [graphics]. cough*Final Fantasy*cough). S2 also had an amazing story with even better gameplay elements.

But S3 had Luc and the Destroyers. Maybe the coolest name for a group of characters. As tragic as Gremio, Luc was way beyond. In fact, Luc is the reason this game is my favorite over the others. I don't like the battle system; I don't like the war system; I don't like Hugo as a main character; I don't like Chris all that much; (I like Geddoe, but I like him best with his Lightning, so he can't be the main character). Luc makes up for all of the other deficiencies in the game. His despair, depression, anger, cynicism, and malevolence make him the most real thing from all of the games. And I love that he dies. Quality characters die. Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet, MacBeth, Julius Caesar all died in Shakespeare's tragedies.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'm going to move this to the General Forum for better visibility...
mhatter106

Post by mhatter106 »

I saw this poll and thought "Thats crazy that that many people liked 4 over 5." Until I voted, saw the poll sampling size of 10. and realized it was a difference of one vote. Anyways, I tied between 2 and 3. 2 had kilelr stories and characters, but even though the trintiy view system broke from the traditional suikoden mold, I really liked the way it unfolded the story by showing it on multiple sides. Like at the end of Hugo part 1, I thought "what the.. come on!" and then I played Chris part 1 and went, "oh, i get it."

Anyways I voted s3 to even it out. :)
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Ah, finally an admin-endorsed favourite topic. :P

I chose Suikoden, simply because I can. Favourites are supposed to be entirely about opinions and personal biases, after all. Not about the technologically superior, nor the perfectly logical and completely explainable, right?
i go with Suikoden I, the game that started it all. the sequels are just cheap knock-offs!!!!
Damn, right.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I ended up picking II, although I, III, and V were all close seconds. The soundtrack is what put it above III and V for me, and the length/variation is what put it above I.
suikodian

Post by suikodian »

I voted for Suikoden V because I enjoyed the quests that gave insides into the backgrounds of the different stars of destiny.
BlackCookie

Post by BlackCookie »

I voted 2 because it's the best, plain and simple. There is nothing wrong with that game in my mind, and it had cool ninjas to.

I like 4 as well, I loved seeing Suikoden in a "Sailing" and "pirates" setting, it was neat.
"A ninja wastes no words" (Kage)
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Suikoden 2 hands down
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Am I seriously the only S4 defender? Sad day...
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
dkwrtw

Post by dkwrtw »

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:Am I seriously the only S4 defender? Sad day...
S4 was the worst game in the series but it was still pretty good, the hate it gets is undeserved, sure it's a letdown from earlier games in the series but by itself is not a bad game.