Favorite game of the main series?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.

What is your favorite game of the main series overall?

You may select 1 option

View results

gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: Favorite game of the main series?

Post by gilgamesh31 »

For pure nostalgia i would agree with you, il never forget when a friend of mine bought this strangly titled second hand game off the market and we took it to my house to see what it was about. i instently fell in love with the world and its characters/creatures and music. especially the mt.tigerwolf track. but when i got suikoden 2 i was like wow even better characters, expanded gameplay (extra rune slots, running, bigger inventory, much longer playtime) it had everything from the original and more. returning characters including tir? im sold. so while the 1st holds a special place in my heart, suikoden 2 for me atleast is the superior game.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
TenkaiStar108

Post by TenkaiStar108 »

gilgamesh31 wrote:For pure nostalgia i would agree with you, il never forget when a friend of mine bought this strangly titled second hand game off the market and we took it to my house to see what it was about. i instently fell in love with the world and its characters/creatures and music. especially the mt.tigerwolf track. but when i got suikoden 2 i was like wow even better characters, expanded gameplay (extra rune slots, running, bigger inventory, much longer playtime) it had everything from the original and more. returning characters including tir? im sold. so while the 1st holds a special place in my heart, suikoden 2 for me atleast is the superior game.
Haha yeah. I have to say that I enjoyed II's side characters a bit more, along with the mini games you can do at your castle (looove the cooking one haha). I was so happy that they brought Tir back if you got all the stars in the first one :D
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I think that Suikoden III had the most potential of all the games but it feels a bit incomplete to me or something. The fighting in pairs was questionable, the lack of a proper 108 stars of destiny was annoying, the map screen was just plain awkward and the last chapters seemed extremly rushed. Its like wow ive finally chosen my flamechampion and got my own castle and now ive got to fight the boss of the game already? They put all the meat into the trinity sight chapters so the rest of the game felt like an anticlimax.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

^ the thing with suikoden 3 i think is that konami was still in its "testing stage" with the ps2. plus, moriyama (i think that was his name), the original creator of suikoden, had to leave somewhere in the middle of production, thus the rushed and changed feel of the game. nonetheless, the game is actually really fun. i especially loved the chapters with thomas. as for the main flame champion plot, i found it to be a bit too...angsty? haha.

anyway, favorite in the series would have to be part 2, simply because its the first suikoden game i played. i remember a 9 year old me waking up one morning to see a plastic bag filled with new ps1 games my dad bought for us from his trip to the captial city (he had just arrived the night before.). i saw suikoden 2's cover and tried it. and...i dunno. it just had a magical feeling to it. i was hooked. =P and i seriously still believe its the best in the series. hands down.
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
Gantetsu86

Post by Gantetsu86 »

Ive played all of them and 1 and 2 are great but my favorite is 5...its was they first one I ever played and it was the one that got me hooked on the series.

I agree that 3 seemed a bit rushed to me...the trinity system was really interesting idea but the story just didnt seem like it was held together very well
What is today but yesterdays tomorrow?
Kendaichi

Post by Kendaichi »

I finished the first Suikoden about a week ago, it was amazing.

Now I've just beaten Suikoden II, and got the best ending. It's possibly my favourite game of all time!

So uh, I've only played the first 2, and it may stay like that for quite a while, but for now I'll have to go with Suikoden II.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

^ Good for you Kendaichi. Though seeing you live in the UK, you just miggghht have a bit of trouble with that. Suikoden 3 wasnt released for PAL. =P Just in case you didnt know. If you can get 5, go ahead. It's a prequel to part 2, and it wont spoil much for you. :)
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
Raou

Post by Raou »

I voted SII.

Reason for it is long before I bought any Suikoden tittle, I had a "Tips and Tricks" mag that covered the recruitment of all 108 characters plus how to obtain McDohl as a usable character. The idea of 108 characters hooked me, and when I played it for myself, I found myself adoring the familial ties between MC, Jowy and Nanashi and their struggles.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

don't forget mukumuku. =) i agree, what draws you in is that familiarity...that sense of belonging. when i was a kid, i was pretty awkward, so i didnt have much friends, and i would always daydream of meeting a good pal like riou or jowy. and nanami would be awesome to have as a sister. you can get a ton of laughs outta her.

=) little error there man, it's nanami. but nanashi sounds awfully familiar. if i remember correct, we actually had a member here called nanashi.
AuthenticM

Post by AuthenticM »

I have to admit V is my favorite game. The third game was my first Suikoden and loved it. I played and completed it two times (108 stars and all) before V came out. I've only played and latest opus once, back when it came out, but I still hold it very dear to my heart. I played the second game immediately after beating it, and I'd say it's better than III. I have the original game on my PSP; I might start playing it today.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

three was really good, imo. i think it brought in a lot of new fans to the franchise. if konami can come up with a game at least quite similar to 3, i think we'd be able to gain a bigger fan base. i actually didnt like 5 that much. either way, i love all suikoden games. yes, even you black sheep tierkreis. =D
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I picked III. Almost went with II since it started it all for me. I loved the depth of the stories and so many of the characters of both, but III seemed like it opened up that world for us to explore.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

I voted for S2, because:
a.) My very first Suikoden
b.) Left monumental impressions in my life. Good times!
c.) So much to be had and the connections to the other stories
d.) Luca Blight

Don't fret, S4 lovers, I liked that game just as much though it was pretty short. Lazlo's "running chafe" left a traumatizing mark on my mind, too, y'know. :wink:
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
koihime

Post by koihime »

picked suikoden 2 for it's epic story

2nd was 3 because of the use of runes and cool graphics

then 5, 1, and 4
dragons_descent4

Post by dragons_descent4 »

4 was a good game but I think it lost points for not being so directly related to the first three.

I was stuck between 1 and 2 for favoritism,I voted last night and for the life of me I can't remember which one I picked. Probably 2...but the battles in 2 were so well done,I loved having that birds eye view of all the units in place!
"Now we can fight to our hearts' content."
"Too bad I have to fight with you."
- Viktor and Flik

Into dark humor? Check out my upcoming webseries!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Morb ... 1697490455