Osamu Komuta as the man behind new direction

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
JiggleBiscuits

Re: Osamu Komuta as the man behind new direction

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:I think your missing the big picture here. Mr. Komuta didnt exactly make his own game instead of a Suikoden game. Konami wanted him to lead an RPG project for the DS, which is what he did. It was Konami's decision to slap Suikoden on the title at a later date. Your making it sound like he ordered Konami to make Teirkries and then ordered them to make it part of the Suikoden world so he could change Suikoden to what he wanted. He may have pushed for Tierkreis to be a Suikoden game but I dont think the blame soley rests on him. I think its naive to believe so.

Mr. Komuta was then simply trying to defend his actions with words, which you cant blame him for really. He was trying to give the game some selling power prior to release. He wouldn't be doing his job properly otherwise.

You have to remember also that Konami are well aware of Tierkreis reaction amongst fans, both inside and outside of Japan. I highly doubt they are going to continue with Komuta's vision of Suikoden after that ...especially when considering that Tierkreis was not originaly meant to be a Suikoden.

Also, Mr komuta has come a long way since then. I have spoken to him alot over the past 10 months, and please bare this in mind, he has often told me that he now wishes to respect fans opinions regarding the Suikoden series. He also said he would use me as a reference to what Western fans really want. I should also add that he used a Japanese/English dictionary so he could read, and reply to, my emails.

That, to me, shows not only dedication to the fan base but also a willingness to make things right.
That is not what has been represented. Konami wanted him to make a proper Suikoden game and he resisted, simply because he wanted to do his own vanity project.

He wasn't doing his job in the first place because he didn't make a proper Suikoden game.

How generous of him that he now wants to respect the wishes of fans, after Tierkreis was the worst selling Suikoden game.

Only problem is, he still isn't doing it.

The only thing that is going to make things right is having someone in charge of the series that actually cares about it.

Not Komuta. If he wants to do original IPs, great, we need more of those. But he needs to be removed from whatever his position to do with this new fraud Suiko game is.
Darkbeat wrote:Konami aren't going to listen to wrathful complaints from people who would fire their members of staff. Nor should they.
Yes, because holding hands in a circle and singing "Kumbaya" is going to get us a canon Suikoverse game.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I pretty much agree with what darkbeat has said in his post above. There's no single way to approach this, and it's often best to have multiple initiatives so persons with different opinions can all participate in reaching the desired goal.

Unfortunately, the fan community for suikoden has shrunk significantly in the last few years, and now the only real comprehensive fan site that exists is suikosource.com. There's no real fansite in existence in Japan either, and all you can find are random character shrines that are dedicated to specific characters, etc (the last major fansite hasn't been updated in a couple of years, and their forums no longer function). The only place where there's active discussion between fans in Japan is within 2ch, which is a place filled with vitriol that makes this forum look like a tame puppy. Thus, the only real way Konami can hear the voice of fans is through their very few promotional events and ratings sites such as mk2 (which is widely respected, but feedback is limited).

Suikosource itself appeals to certain people, while others may find this place not to their taste. However, other sites such as gensopedia and suikox are pretty much dead now (although time permitting I'll try to revive suikox), and thus there's probably a huge chunk of fans who are not aware how they can express their opinions. Twitter and Facebook are powerful tools as well, but because those methods are controlled by folks who own those applications, there's always the risk of suddenly being wiped out (such as facebook communities being shut down, or twitter becoming illegal in certain countries).

In my perspective, I see Suikosource as being fairly moderate and balanced in its views on "what Suikoden should be." Suikosoruce has often acted responsibly and in an adult manner, and has even worked with Konami and Tokyopop to a limited degree. That has its benefits, but it also can be a limiting factor when you want to do something more extreme. I'm inclined to think that having a separate site such as "Genso Suikoden Fundamentalist Front" or something would be a beneficial addition, so that different opinions have a place where they can call home.
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

You have to remember also that Konami are well aware of Tierkreis reaction amongst fans, both inside and outside of Japan. I highly doubt they are going to continue with Komuta's vision of Suikoden after that ...especially when considering that Tierkreis was not originaly meant to be a Suikoden.
do I have your assurance that the next game will be an in-universe Suikoden game, then?

as much as I hate the idea of someone who churned out a story as stupid as Tierkreis's touching the Suiko-verse or having the tiniest bit of input into anything about it, if it at least takes place in the Suiko-verse I'll at least try to suffer through it like I did Suikoden IV
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If you're going to write to Konami, here are a few guidelines.

1. Be courteous. Let's handle this like adults. "I really didn't enjoy Tierkreis at all" and "Tierkreis was a huge disappointment to me" will sound more mature than "Tierkreis was shoot." And they are more likely to take us seriously if we lay off the profanity and personal attacks.

2. Do not request or demand that anyone be fired. This is rude and unprofessional. Playing the blame game will get you nowhere and make you look stupid.

3. Make it personal. Tell them why you don't want another Tierkreis. Tell them about your excitement about a new Suikoden game when Tierkreis was announced, and then your disappointment when you learned it wasn't connected to the main series. Include examples of things you felt made the game a less than enjoyable experience. Avoid making accusations.

4. Let them know that you are not alone in your opinion. Tell them that you have spoken to many fans who feel the same way. Make it clear that the Suikoden fandom is alive and well outside Japan. Even if they know this already, it doesn't hurt to remind them.

5. If there's something that would keep you from buying the upcoming game, state what it is. Again, be both courteous and specific.

6. Tell them what Suikoden means to you. Tell them what you love about Suikoden. Let them know how important it is to you. Talk about why you prefer Suikoden over other games. Use an example(s) of a particular character or plotline that moved you in some way.

I'll probably contact them myself once the game comes out.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

Osamu needs to be removed from his position, whatever that is, in regards to this game.

No other option is acceptable.
daoster

Post by daoster »

JiggleBiscuits wrote:Osamu needs to be removed from his position, whatever that is, in regards to this game.

No other option is acceptable.
It's like speaking to a brick wall!
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

come on guys I know Komuta really dropped the ball with Tierkreis, but we should really give him a second chance

I know he basically spat in the face of the fanbase and wasted quite a few people's hard earned money but Konami really needs to stick with him and let him try to correct his mistakes

trying to pressure Konami into looking for a new director or keeping him away from future Suikoden games would be just disrespectful to the poor man who worked so hard, telling Konami that you have no faith in him and believe the job can be done better by literally anyone else would just be offensive

I'm sure with a little time and a little understanding and a little love he can make the best darn Suikoden game since 1 and 2

we should organize a letter writing campaign to Konami telling them no matter what, we'll keep buying the games and supporting them in all their endeavors
hashin

Post by hashin »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
a story that is not good vs evil
And yet the game turned out to be exactly that. Good job.
From what I understood, having "a story that is not good vs evil" is one of the things that limits the potential of Suikoden, according to him.
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

hashin wrote:
Raww Le Klueze wrote:
a story that is not good vs evil
And yet the game turned out to be exactly that. Good job.
From what I understood, having "a story that is not good vs evil" is one of the things that limits the potential of Suikoden, according to him.
And that's why he doesn't get the series. And why he needs to go.
tiki wrote:come on guys I know Komuta really dropped the ball with Tierkreis, but we should really give him a second chance

I know he basically spat in the face of the fanbase and wasted quite a few people's hard earned money but Konami really needs to stick with him and let him try to correct his mistakes
No, we shouldn't. And there's your reasons.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

tiki wrote:come on guys I know Komuta really dropped the ball with Tierkreis, but we should really give him a second chance

trying to pressure Konami into looking for a new director or keeping him away from future Suikoden games would be just disrespectful to the poor man who worked so hard, telling Konami that you have no faith in him and believe the job can be done better by literally anyone else would just be offensive

I'm sure with a little time and a little understanding and a little love he can make the best darn Suikoden game since 1 and 2

we should organize a letter writing campaign to Konami telling them no matter what, we'll keep buying the games and supporting them in all their endeavors
That's not what I'm saying. It doesn't have to do with Komuta's feelings. It has to do with professionalism. Naming names and pointing fingers is NOT professional, nor is it mature. You don't need to call for his termination to make your point known. Say you thought Tierkreis was poorly designed, even poorly directed. This is passive voice, and is considered more indirect and therefore, more polite than active voice. It's basically making the same statement, only in a more diplomatic manner.

And I never said that you should tell them you'll buy their games and support them no matter what. In fact, I made a point of telling them if you plan on boycotting their games for whatever reason.

Oh, and if anyone's curious, I'm one of those people who was afraid to contact Suikoden because I like Tierkreis and am afraid I'd be doing other fans a bad turn. But I am going to write to them. I will tell them what I like about the upcoming game and what I think could be improved. I will write to them after I have played the game.

But for some people, it may be a better idea to write during development, if you feel there are any absolutes.

And JiggleBiscuits, tiki was being sarcastic. :p
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

I decided to google this guy's name and Suikoden just to see what other quotes were out there
“I think Tierkreis made Suikoden’s future truly infinite,” Komuta replies. “The game’s universe now lives in the ‘Infinity’ where it is possible for all the games to co-exist while leaving room for great growth and exploration in the series because both Tierkreis and the previous games are essential elements for the Suikoden universe. We hope to continue developing Suikoden games with the new freedom we are now afforded with the boundless nature of the ‘Infinity’.”
hahaha yeah you sure did make sure Suikoden became a household name that would live on for generations to come, didn't you champ

and Tierkreis is such an essential part of the Suikoden universe, is it?

my god the balls on this guy to try and say the world that he came up with is just as important as the rich, detailed, full world that was carved out over the course of Suikoden 1-5
We hope to continue developing Suikoden games with the new freedom we are now afforded with the boundless nature of the “Infinity.”
read as: I hope to continue developing "Suikoden" games with the new freedom I am now afforded with the boundless nature of "The Thing That Lets Me Make Literally Any RPG I Want And Slap The Suikoden Label On It Instead Of Working On Continued Worldbuilding, Character Development And Storybuilding."

can anyone find any other quotes about his views on Suikoden online, I must wallow in his wrongness like a pig in filth

also I just found out that he directed Suikoden Tactics

so I guess that explains where the Fish People Cannons and the world that people turn into fish people if they go into came from, huh

this man can't make a good, solid story to save his life
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

tiki wrote:also I just found out that he directed Suikoden Tactics
Makoto Suda directed Tactics. Komuta was game planner and programmer.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

why does the rest of the internet say otherwise, bad reporting?

http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl= ... ics+komuta

it say director everywhere, even the Suikoden Tierkreis Wikipedia page names Komuta as the director behind Tactics

that seems weird
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

JiggleBiscuits wrote:
Yes, because holding hands in a circle and singing "Kumbaya" is going to get us a canon Suikoverse game.
Did I once say that? What planet are you on? Do you actualy read posts? Please re-read my older posts.
daoster wrote:
It's like speaking to a brick wall!
It sure is.
tiki wrote:
do I have your assurance that the next game will be an in-universe Suikoden game, then?

Unfortunatly, no. I dont even know if he is working on this new game. Another reason why we are jumping the gun here.

tiki wrote: also I just found out that he directed Suikoden Tactics
We have discussed this before. Im not having a go at you but this clearly shows that you arent reading other peoples posts. Please try and read posts, more than once if need be, before just instinctively responding.

Also, if it turns out Komuta DID direct tactics, he done a decent job there I'd say??

Anyway, reading Darkbeat, Vextor and Rachaels posts make the most sense to me. We cant just start shouting abuse at the guy. All thats gonna do is make the Suikoden fandom look really bad, damage the relationships built with Konami so far and damage my relationship with Mr. Komuta who I think I can use for better things other than just shouting at. There are other, more mature and professional ways to go about it. I'm not going to get sucked into arguing with any of you anymore. I've made my point, more than enough times on many different subjects, its up to you if you choose to heed that advice ...or even just read it in the first place.

I have outlined ways in which we can campaign with Konami and will continue to do so. I strongly advise people follow this campaign. It is a great way to show our support for the Suikoden brand, show Konami that their is still a strong fan base not to give up on, and to express our concerns and fears over the future of the series.

I am also in touch with Osamu Komuta, and others, quite reguarly. If you want to make any kind of united point towards any of them, I strongly suggest you do it through me. Although, of course, you are free to choose whatever methods you see fit. But I have a relationship with them and it can be used to all of our advantage.
tiki
Banned User

Post by tiki »

We have discussed this before.
link?

also it looks like you're saying he did direct it it while Raww is saying he didn't, while the rest of the internet says he did

what
KC_MCDOHL wrote:Also, if it turns out Komuta DID direct tactics, he done a decent job there I'd say?
Tactics had an amazing battle system but a pretty incoherent or mindscrew of a story

your father had sex with a sheep woman who is your mother and for some reason there are these cannons that turn people into fishmen and

and well I can't remember anything about it beyond that, the plot was pretty weird