Initial fan discussion (Canon or not canon?)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
JiggleBiscuits

Re: NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

Antimatzist wrote:1. And where's the Tierkreis name in this? it might also be a new world and the story involves time travelling or it is in the main world and maybe takes a look into the future of the world. Or yeah, it can be a Tierkreis II, but why should they change the name to something completely different?

3. I'd agree that IV has done more harm than Tierkreis, especially if you consider that Tierkreis came out at a time when a lot of people already thought Suikoden is dead. It at least brought again some spotlight on the Suikoden name and that's worth something imo. But in the end, it didn't help at all.

About the "rich background repelling new gamers": Well, that was just one thought. I, too, was hyped when I played Suikoden II and they were talking about events and characters from the previous game. But maybe a lot of people don't care, they want a series like Dragon Quest with totally independent worlds.
1. Tierkreis is the generic name for the fake Suikoden series Konami is putting out now.

2. YOu can agree, but that makes two people that are wrong.

3. At least you're right that people want the story to continue. Anyone who is repelled by a story should go back to playing Gears of War and Call of Duty.

Also - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... 338&page=5

Total sales of Suikoden IV - 443 654

Total sales of Suikoden Tierkreis - 212 275

Obviously less people bought Tierkreis because they knew it was an inferior game.
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

I think delving into the Tierkreis style universe because it's hard to get into an "Established world" is a load of garbage. Each game is a standalone title, and prior knowledge only enhances the experience, it doesn't give an edge or change the world drastically. The only issue is in the naming; Suikoden V might scare people off because it's V and not I. Giving the game a name, but not a number would rectify this, and Tierkreis and this title are doing exactly that, however, it's just a shame they aren't doing it in the world that all fans want to know about.

Tierkreis felt too absolute, too global, which is the opposite of what Suikoden is all about, so I hope this new game doesn't involve the entire world it creates, and I desperately hope it's actually set in the old world somewhere
Darkbeat wrote:3. As has been stated, we should count each game on it's own merits. Suikoden IV did more to harm the Suikoden name (and sales data) than Suikoden Tierkreis ever could.
That's sad, though true. I felt through sheer determination and Tactics, 4 fit well. The blandish colour scheme also enhanced the fact that it was in the past, and I genuinely liked many of the characters. 4 on it's own is incomplete, but I really feel Tactics made both titles combined worthy of being Suikoden.
Last edited by Scotts on Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Alestes wrote:Hehe, I actually thought that was the weakest part of the game. There as so many things in the game that are predetermined, that you can't change. Like fights you're predetermined to lose, no matter how hard you try.
Good point! Technically, any RPG that isn't MMO is predetermined. And Tierkreis certainly drilled the "nothing is predetermined" message harder than the other games. III touched on this theme, but we didn't have the main characters repeating "You'll never know until you try" throughout the entire game.

Now I'm wondering if Tierkreis was maybe an attempt to draw in a younger audience. Not only is the game easier and more repetitive, it seems a bit more kid friendly, as well. There's less talk about how there's no room for idealism in war--that people will die and kill. There are fewer "hardass" characters like Georg Prime and Sgt. Joe. And none of the Starbearers die, either during or after the game.

Even so, I loved Tierkreis. I wouldn't mind even if the new game were a continuation, although I would rather it were tied to the main series. Oh well.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

I just read every post in this thread and I'm still not sure what people are arguing about.

If you liked Tiekreis then you have every reason to excited for this new game, which so far looks like and is strongly, "100 worlds", hinted to be like, that game.

If you have any sense of taste, and understand that Teikreis is one of the most boring, stupid, vapid RPGs ever created, then yeah, you damn well should be pissed that Konami is making another one and still calling it a Suikoden game.

But can the two types of people above find common ground to talk about the new game? Heck no. It's like two completely different languages. It's just internet squabbling for the sake of squabbling. It's pointless and I doubt people are really "hearing" what the other side is actually saying. But I guess if you guys have nothing better to do...

I'm more interested in hearing about new tidbits of info as they arrive. And perhaps speculation based on the video. The guy who translated the 2ch comments is cool. Props to you.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Well, Konami MUST have got the message about the general opinion of Tierkreis. Suppose, for a second, that this game is really good. We know next to nothing about it, it could turn out to be a fantastic rpg.
I know you're gonna say "But it's not a main series Suikoden?!?!?!!?"
No. It isn't, by the look of things. Get over it. What if it's a step among the stairs, building the fan base in the way they intended Tierkreis to? A game series can be revived down the line, with enough interest. Look at Golden Sun.
Actually, on the topic of Suikoden Tierkreis sales figures, I had no real option but to go second hand. It was never in stores where I live (the lively, game consuming metropolis of New Zealand, BIG MISTAKE KONAMI).

Anyway. I also wanted to say that I'm genuinely disappointed with all the negativity here. After the news of a disbanded Suikoden team, all the RIP Suikoden stuff... The series is alive, and has a future, and Suikosource resorts to squabbling like children. Can we really not celebrate a victory here? Can we not wait until we see more of the game before damning it? To all you people saying "You'll buy anything with a Suikoden label on it", you realise this is a Suikoden site, right? I'll celebrate the fact that my favourite game series is alive, and that the possibility of a 'main series' game is still a goal we can work towards. I'm excited for this game, and can't wait to hear more about it!
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

If it's not a mainline game, it's not a victory.

It's a loss and a disappointment.
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

JiggleBiscuits wrote:If it's not a mainline game, it's not a victory.

Then perhaps you should just leave and stop commenting on it.
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

Jesus.

Yes, everyone should praise every single thing a company does and never complain, even when it's wrong. /sarcasm

If you're not vocal when a company does something wrong, things don't change.
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

You're making the same arguements over and over. It's not productive. I'm not saying praise it, I'm just saying, if you've got nothing new to say, don't bother saying it.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

JiggleBiscuits wrote:If it's not a mainline game, it's not a victory.

In your defeatist book, yeah, sure it is. In mine, it's a step among the stairs towards a mainline game, and for all we know, it might be really good. Rome wasn't built in a day, as they say. Suikosource is a Suikoden community, that includes Tierkreis, and includes this new game, which we barely know anything about. Whinging that you didn't get exactly what you wanted doesn't solve anything.

If all you're going to do is have a closed-minded, small picture whine and bring people down - the people celebrating the fact that Suikoden is NOT DEAD - then I believe you're a loss and disappointment to Suikosource.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

Nikisaur wrote:Suikosource is a Suikoden community, that includes Tierkreis
Not for real fans.

If it were a mainline game, I would be celebrating the most.

But as long as we get this trash marketed at us, I am going to voice my dissent.

If you don't, things don't change.
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

You know nothing of the game aside from it mentioning 100 worlds and 100 years. The Infinity is more than 100 worlds, it could be anything for all you know. Like all bad things, you're premature.
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

When you finally accept it's not a mainline game, how would you like your crow?

Baked or fried?
Scotts

Post by Scotts »

Even if it's not a mainline game, I'm just happy Suikoden's not dead. You're acting awfully superior for no adequate reason. And it's because you're that type of person. What a shame.
JiggleBiscuits

Post by JiggleBiscuits »

This PSP is not a mainline game.

Suikoden will be dead as long as Konami puts out this fraud.

Accept it.

If you buy this game, you are committing fraud, along with Konami, and should go to jail.