NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

A forum for questions and discussions about the PSP game roughly translated as "The Woven Web of a Century"
Xelinis

Re: NEW SUIKODEN ANNOUNCED BY KONAMI!!! (9-17-2011)

Post by Xelinis »

Wait, when did Suikoden I & II PSP hit PSN? This is the first I've heard of it.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Xelinis wrote:Wait, when did Suikoden I & II PSP hit PSN? This is the first I've heard of it.
Since 2009. And it's been mentioned.
KFCrispy wrote:i also thought vgchartz was a completely unreliable source..
Most like they just steal Media Create's numbers and alter them slightly like they did with NPD till they stopped sharing them. So it's probably a fair enough estimate for Japanese sales, and total guesswork for America and Europe.

According Garaph the PSP abomination had sold 59,852 as of Feb 6th.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Antimatzist wrote:Ok - true and I have overlooked that one. But I just wanted to say that I don't think sales will improve in the next weeks.

Is there really no way to see how many digital copies were purchased?
Unfortunately, no. Sony very rarely releases sales numbers to tout the success of certain titles, but I don't expect Suikoden to be anywhere near their "top sellers" list.

I also agree that the sales for the game won't be getting better, but they already achieved over 90% sales of their first shipment. That means there's less than 8K copies left in all of Japan to be sold. Getting rid of those is a question of demographic interest at this point, else retailers might just shift them around to maximize sales.
Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Xelinis wrote:Wait, when did Suikoden I & II PSP hit PSN? This is the first I've heard of it.
Since 2009. And it's been mentioned.
KFCrispy wrote:i also thought vgchartz was a completely unreliable source..
Most like they just steal Media Create's numbers and alter them slightly like they did with NPD till they stopped sharing them. So it's probably a fair enough estimate for Japanese sales, and total guesswork for America and Europe.

According Garaph the PSP abomination had sold 59,852 as of Feb 6th.
Actually, if you look at my picture it says the game's been on PSN since July 15th 2010.

As for the newest PSP game, VGChartz is horrendously bad at estimating sales, let alone correcting sales to use Enterbrain/Media Create numbers. According to VGChartz, the game sold well over a thousand more than Media Create's numbers, which are in turn higher than Enterbrain's (the source for Garaph's numbers).
Formerly known as: Gothann
Atma

Post by Atma »

"ANd its been mentioned." Lol... so what? So mention it again, you tool.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

So instead of providing actual sales figures, all these sites do are estimating them of each other? Amusing.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

No, NPD, Media Create and Enterbrain track sales, VGChartz steals their figures and make up the one's they can't steal.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

patapi wrote:So instead of providing actual sales figures, all these sites do are estimating them of each other? Amusing.
Raww stated the distinction between VGChartz and real trackers, but here's the (somewhat better?) news about Japan having two completely different tracking companies.

Since Media Create and Enterbrain don't completely cover the same group of retailers, they can both be the tiniest bit complimentary to each other. That means total sales as reported by either company aren't the full picture and actual sales are always a little bit higher than the highest of either report, unless one made a huge mistake.

Then again, all of this number crunching isn't really useful for most normal people. This information is mostly useful for finding out if a second shipment of a game will be made. meaning a second wave of orders from retailers for Konami to fill. The first shipment is usually the one most companies ever care about in investment reports, however. If you can clear most of your first shipment within the financial quarter/year in which you add the product to the report, it usually means the game performed "strongly".

Don't forget: Tierkreis sold less than half of its first shipment on week one but still managed to be considered a "strong domestic performer" in Konami's yearly financial report (i.e. sold well in Japan). This newest game selling way more of its first shipment could bode very well for its financial performance, regardless of it selling less copies.
Formerly known as: Gothann
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Celedril wrote:That's the part that makes me somewhat sad, somewhat disgruntled at the same time. I would play the worst possible iteration you can imagine if it had some connection to the original storylines and characters that returned (God, what I wouldn't do to see the Yuber-Pesmerga/True Rune story arcs play out!).
Now that i think about the main draw for me with Suikoden is the world, if there was only one element that carried over into the next game i would choose for it to be set in the original world. I would choose it over Runes, 108 recruits, returning characters any of it.
Celedril

Post by Celedril »

I love the 108 Stars, but as long as they kept the intrigue and the vast and interconnected character relationships and how they connect to the world, I think I'd be ok if they did away with them. I really like the mass battles too...it's too hard to choose something to give up. I love it all, but I'd be willing to sacrifice some things to get the story of the true runes told.

And it just leaves a rotten taste in my mouth to not finish a story...and there are just so many loose ends in Suikoden. Enough for a lifetime of excellent games, I'd say.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Antimatzist wrote:Spinoff-wise, yeah, I would really like to see games not using the standard Suikoden formula but explaining more of the world. Tactics is a good example; using "only" ~60 characters, no HQ, some hidden/bonus scenes explaining the characters, but mostly exploring a part of the Suikoden world. They could very well go for spin-offs like this on the DS imo (not necessarily a S-RPG, they could also experiment with the standard Suikoden-battle-formulas and change it and test things).

This would really make no one complain. It's not a Suikoden VI, but a spin-off which fans would like too. I don't know why Konami doesn't want to do this. The argument "New Fans might get rejected because of the big interesting world etc don't know about characters/backgrounds" is invalid, because in a completely new world, there are only new characters.
I agree with everything said here.

Celedril wrote: I wish there was some way to get a hold of the Konami collective and just shake some sense into them!
There is. Many of us are campaigning to help steer the series back on track and bring it the attention it truly deserves.

Also, I see posted here that Suikoden I+II has been on the Japanese PSN since 2009/2010. And its still sitting in the top 10 of the Japanese PSN chart? Is this for real? Is there a way to track its progress, on the PSN charts, over that past 2/3 years? Its even out-selling Fronteir Gate despite being avaliable to download for 2/3 years?
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

KC_MCDOHL wrote: Also, I see posted here that Suikoden I+II has been on the Japanese PSN since 2009/2010. And its still sitting in the top 10 of the Japanese PSN chart? Is this for real? Is there a way to track its progress, on the PSN charts, over that past 2/3 years? Its even out-selling Fronteir Gate despite being avaliable to download for 2/3 years?
It probably hasn't been in the top ten for a long time now. The new game has most likely revived some interest.
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:Also, I see posted here that Suikoden I+II has been on the Japanese PSN since 2009/2010. And its still sitting in the top 10 of the Japanese PSN chart? Is this for real? Is there a way to track its progress, on the PSN charts, over that past 2/3 years? Its even out-selling Fronteir Gate despite being avaliable to download for 2/3 years?
I don't understand why they don't just take their PS1 translations, apply them to the PSP release and release it internationally on the PSN. Seriously. I've had to go as far as using hacks on my PSP to play my own ripped ISOs (I have Suiko 1 and 2 sitting on a shelf behind me) because I'd love to be able to play them on the go. I would actually buy Suiko1&2 off the PSN.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Suikoden I is already available in PSN.

KC, in all your talks with the staff, has there been any discussion of why II hasn't been released yet?
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Xelinis wrote: It probably hasn't been in the top ten for a long time now. The new game has most likely revived some interest.
Yeah, I was thinking that might be the case. Surely the fact its outselling Fronteir gate and practically level with the new Suikoden will open Konamis eyes a bit?
Xelinis wrote:Suikoden I is already available in PSN.

KC, in all your talks with the staff, has there been any discussion of why II hasn't been released yet?
Im afraid not. It has never been answered despite it being questioned. I, too, am at a complete loss why this hasnt been done yet. I will keep pushing for it though :)
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Xelinis wrote:Suikoden I is already available in PSN.
Not for Europe.

And I'm not jumping through hoops to acquire it. They either release it in my region or I don't buy it, simply.