Suikoden Legacy Card Game

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Skeith27

Suikoden Legacy Card Game

Post by Skeith27 »

Hey everyone. I just wanted to share a project I am working on that I thought people here might be able to enjoy and possibly help me with.

This is a card game called Lost Legacy. It's a very cool and compact game about different characters searching to claim relics broken off of a spaceship that fell apart over a medieval planet. However, after playing the game enough, I realized the characters and theme of the game felt like an easy transition to the Suikoden universe, with characters seeking out True Runes instead of these relics.

So, I started re-themeing the game with Suikoden characters and art scanned from my Suikoden Card Stories collection (I think I have about 75% of all the sets). Here are a couple of crappy pictures of my first two completed sets:

Anyway, if anyone is interested in printing their own copy of the game, I would be happy to share a link to download the print-and-play files from Imgur. I just don't want to post it publicly anywhere, since I don't want this to become a popular means of pirating Lost Legacy. In fact, if you do end up enjoying this game, I would highly recommend that you pick up a copy of the western release if just to support the maker.

I really just want to share this with some of my fellow Suikoden lovers who might want a way to play a game that's a bit more accessible than Card Stories, and possibly spread the love of Suikoden to others who have never been exposed to this universe.

Also, if anyone else has a collection of Card Stories cards, I would really appreciate your help! There are many cards with great art I'd like to use on some upcoming sets, but I sadly do not have the card to scan (Blue Moon Rune is next!).

Please message me if you'd like a link to the PnP images, or if you can help me with making future sets.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden Legacy Card Game

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There's two L's in Jillia.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:There's two L's in Jillia.
Ah, thanks for the catch! Another good reason why I wanted to bring this project here. It's a constant work in progress with a lot of improvements every week, so I always appreciate good feedback.

In fact, literally 10 minutes after posting here, I realized I can minimize the card framework and make room for more character art. So now I'm basically re-doing these two sets for the third time. Hahah
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Good job :D we need more stuff like this.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Thanks! I hope to make a lot more of this soon, as I'm kinda obsessed with it at the moment. Hehe.

Here's a sample of what the cards look like in their full image resolution. I also just incorporated this new card frame to maximize the image, and corrected my misspelling of Jillia's name. In the original game, this card was the "Princess". If anyone has ever played another card game called Love Letter, it's the same princess from that game (same game designer).

Last edited by Skeith27 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

She's on the verge of tears because she spent so much time trying to bite apples that were just out of reach before anyone told her Lamarckianism had been discredited. Good god.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

I was hoping to get some opinions on a curent decision I'm contemplating.

Do you guys think it would be a major detraction if this game didn't use all the proper names of the characters, and instead refered to them by such titles as "Hero of Toran" (for Tir) or "The Seer" (for Leknaat)? Sort of like the original game does.

The reason I am considering this is because I want the game to be comfortable and approachable for non-Suikonauts, so they don't get all tied up and confused by the names. But I definitely don't want to do that at the expense of the game's thematic appeal to Suikoden fans.

What say you? Any suggestions?
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Finished work on one of my newer sets, this one based on the battle(s) with Neclord.

Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Just played with these sets at a board game group last night. Gotta say, the Blue Moon set is probably the best so far in terms of how much interaction there is, and how many opportunities there are to find and track where the True Rune goes.

I might go and try printing these on actual card stock to see how that goes. It would be the first time I actually shell out for better-than-cheapest quality components when I make these games.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Also, I'm close to completing the True Dragon Rune set. I'll probably post that here in the next couple of days.
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

I decided I might try designing some actual card backs for this game. Though I'm not sure what a suitably awesome back could be, without being specific to one particular game. I definitely don't want words on it, that's all I know right now.

I was hoping anyone reading this might have a random suggestion or two.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

My first suggestion that comes to mind would be to use one of the true runes for each set of cards. Or maybe you could use one of the HQs as the card back?
A raw tomato for the win!
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

Oh, I like the idea of using an HQ. Toran Caslte has the best shape to fit a card, so that got me thinking of using it and came up with this rough idea. What do you think?

Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

I really like that picture in particular!
A raw tomato for the win!
Skeith27

Post by Skeith27 »

BAH! I spent a lot of time this week trying to print these backs onto cardstock (with the card faces on the other side), but the process is quite difficult and I might have to give up on having a cool back for the cards...