Their Story: A Series of Suikoden One-Shots

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
sneaky_shiko

Their Story: A Series of Suikoden One-Shots

Post by sneaky_shiko »

Hey guys,

On a recent playthrough of the original PSX titles, it occurred to me that there is a wealth of back story for various SoDs that may otherwise be forgotten amid the thoroughly developed stories of the main characters, and it gave me a real inkling to try and expand on some of them.

So I decided to dust off my fanfic shoes and belt out the first of a series of stories I call "Their Story."

Please read and let me know what you guys think and if you'd like to see more of these. I'll probably write more, but I'd still love some feedback/criticism.

Thanks!

Their Story: Ledon, King of Rats

Edit:

Thank you everyone who commented on my last story. WIth your words of encouragement, I have written another story, this time about Ace. Not quite as minor of a character as Ledon, I'll admit, but that scene in Suikoden III when Ace mentions to Geddoe's unit that he used to serve in Gilbert's Mercenaries, I thought it was just begging to be expanded on.

Hope you guys enjoy, and if you like it, please comment.

Thanks!

Their Story: Hitman Bravo
Last edited by sneaky_shiko on Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: Their Story: A Series of Suikoden One-Shots

Post by Wolkendrache »

It’s written really well, a lovely suspenseful and funny side story! I didn’t really find anything negative (but it’s Silverberg, not Silverburg).

Your stories basically tell about “what is/was character X doing in the meantime”. If you write more of these stories, you should compile them chronologically so they can be read as completion to the game while playing it, in that case just give information in or above the title about when it’s best to read the particular story (e.g. this story is best read in between the dialogue with Ledon and Kessler at the secret factory; iirc one of them mentions they had to leave Mt. Tigerwolf, that’s a good point to switch to the story as a retrospection). It’s just an idea.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sneaky_shiko

Post by sneaky_shiko »

Wolkendrache wrote:(but it’s Silverberg, not Silverburg).
Oops! Thanks, I'll correct that.
Wolkendrache wrote:If you write more of these stories, you should compile them chronologically so they can be read as completion to the game while playing it, in that case just give information in or above the title about when it’s best to read the particular story (e.g. this story is best read in between the dialogue with Ledon and Kessler at the secret factory.
That's not a bad idea. It would be kinda like a companion of short stories to complement the game. I'll give that some thought!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

That's very funny and nicely written! Original too. I love the letter in the beginning. I was feeling like I were in the Empire indeed. And good idea to focus on Ledon rather than an obvious character!

Keep on doing it, mate :)
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

I enjoyed the heck out of your story! I really love the fact that you gave the 'non-obvious' SoD the spotlight. Unlike a certain fanmade game creator, you certainly know how to write a story.
A raw tomato for the win!
sneaky_shiko

Post by sneaky_shiko »

BrucePrintscreen wrote: I love the letter in the beginning. I was feeling like I were in the Empire indeed.
Thanks! I was worried that I may have gone too dystopian with setting up my Empire, but I think the context warranted it. Awesome username by the way!
Roshambeaux wrote:I really love the fact that you gave the 'non-obvious' SoD the spotlight.
Glad you liked it! Yeah, it was a lot of fun to try to step out of the role of the main characters, and there's a lot of unexplored potential there, and most of it isn't glamourous, either. Such is life, and I love how Suikoden can be so grounded in reality sometimes. Also, not sure anyone caught this, but Rosh is the dude who first eyed Tir at Kwaba before being shot down by Ain Gide- it was fun throwing him back in the mix!
Roshambeaux wrote:Unlike a certain fanmade game creator, you certainly know how to write a story.
Ledon lives just this once, never again...something something...I'm-going-to-kill-this-rat-then-drink-bleach...useless exposition...I'm an awesome writer and best at everything everywhere.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

sneaky_shiko wrote:Thank you everyone who commented on my last story. WIth your words of encouragement, I have written another story, this time about Ace. Not quite as minor of a character as Ledon, I'll admit, but that scene in Suikoden III when Ace mentions to Geddoe's unit that he used to serve in Gilbert's Mercenaries, I thought it was just begging to be expanded on.

Hope you guys enjoy, and if you like it, please comment.
Solon as general of the Third Army: where did you get that information from? By the time of the first Muse battle, Kiba is still general of the Third. Solon is either general of the Second or Fourth, the sources I know are contradictory. Due to accomplishments/age I would say Han is Second and Solon (the youngest) is Fourth. Seed and Culgan are serving as lieutenants or vice-generals under Solon. Here is what I know about these armies:
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 14&t=14032
Unfortunately nobody who knows more sources (e.g. the novels) has yet commented.

Please more, but preferably about characters from the first two games (I know the setting was S2). I think characters from 1 and 2 awake the most nostalgia. Keep it up!
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sneaky_shiko

Post by sneaky_shiko »

Wolkendrache wrote:Solon as general of the Third Army: where did you get that information from? By the time of the first Muse battle, Kiba is still general of the Third. Solon is either general of the Second or Fourth, the sources I know are contradictory. Due to accomplishments/age I would say Han is Second and Solon (the youngest) is Fourth. Seed and Culgan are serving as lieutenants or vice-generals under Solon.
I was under the impression that the First Army were stationed at L'Renouille under the command of Han, while the Second was led by Kiba. The Third was Solon's, with Seed and Culgan co-commanding the Fourth. After Solon's 'retirement,' Jowy became commander of the Third, with the White Wolves being Luca's personal unit and existing outside of the army hierarchy. I thought I remembered Solon and Kiba introducing themselves as such during the attack on the merc fort, but I could be wrong.

And yeah, I share your sentiment about S1 and S2 stories invoking the most nostalgia. I thought it would be neat to explore a primarily S2 story through the eyes of a different character, but given my distaste of inserting original characters, I thought Ace would give it an air of familiarity. The idea was to make the story about Gilbert, Flik, Viktor, and Solon with a little Leona thrown in for flavour.