Anyone Have S2 Major Battle Sprites?

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Flufflez

Anyone Have S2 Major Battle Sprites?

Post by Flufflez »

Backgrounds, unit sprites, etc.

Pretty much the only stuff from s2 that I haven't found online yet. If anyone has a working link laying around hit me up.
Flufflez

Re: Anyone Have S2 Major Battle Sprites?

Post by Flufflez »

sounds like you should do it for me and then be rewarded with an awesome flash game
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Or you could do what the sprite rippers do, and use a VRAM viewer in concert with save states, or an emulator with a built in viewer to look at the actual sprite sheets that are loaded during a major battle.

I have the basic elements of a process that could rip them from the files, if you're familiar with C++. I never took it very far, so basically all it does is find the screen objects, and then drills down on the one I tell it to until it finds the sprite data. Then it decompresses the pixel values, and writes it to a file with the first associated CLUT (palette). Then I use another tool to load the image and convert the values into something Windows can understand (bitmap), and save the resultant file. I never bothered doing the conversion gymnastics myself, because most of the sprites have already been ripped by people using VRAM viewers, and I was just making sure I'd identified certain data in the files correctly.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

my emulator shows off just how poor the sprites really look, so i've been kind of turned off to the idea. something about fullscreening 2d sprites from 15 years ago on an hd monitor i guess...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

On a sidenote, could someone also extract the world map? :D
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Nice. Am I missing the Rebel's "dead" sprite, or do they just use one from another set and hope nobody notices (and it worked in my case)?
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

nice. time for me to try to get creative again i suppose.