Suitors for Princess Flare?

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
sticky-runes

Suitors for Princess Flare?

Post by sticky-runes »

So, lets just imagine that some time after the Island Liberation War, Flare is knocking on a bit, Lino En Kuldes is getting old and wants grandkids, and so the people of Obel are considering a suitable husband for Princess Flare so she can produce more royal heirs to continue the line after Lino is gone. Yes, Lazlo is probably the right person to succeed king Lino, but I just want to focus on Flare's future.

There are plenty of young men in Suikoden 4 who are around Flare's age who might prove worthy. Let's judge them based on the following:

Status: Since Lino and Flare are the kind of people who like to work alongside the common folk, it's probably not entirely important that the person is of noble birth, but the experience and connections from a high born family might prove beneficial.
Looks: it's important that the guy is handsome. We don't want ugly children ruling Obel and representing the Island Nations in the future.
Skills: Being a good fighter is important, since Lino fights on the front lines to defend his kingdom, and Flare isn't afraid to take on pirates herself. However, diplomatic skills could be just as important, and maybe magical knowledge could be useful in case the kingdom comes into any kind of conflict involving True Runes.
Prospects: what sort of future is the guy setting himself up for? Is he ambitious and go-getting, is he likely to become rich and powerful and a good leader? Or, is he a lazy, laid-back kind of guy who isn't likely to be making a big impression on the world any time soon?
Daddy's approval: Lino is a fairly good judge of character. What do you think his attitude will be towards the guy marrying his daughter? what do you think is more important - Flare's happiness, or someone who can provide for the people? Or are both equally important?

PS - Please only pick characters from the Suikoden 4/Tactics era. Humour is welcome, as long as you pick characters from the appropriate timeline!
sticky-runes

Re: Suitors for Princess Flare?

Post by sticky-runes »

Here are some possible choices:

Trishtan: He becomes captain of the Obel royal guard, and makes a good body guard for Flare throughout Tactics. He's not too bad looking, if a bit thick and gloomy. but with his constant bout of man flu, he'd spend too much time fretting over the family's health.

Jeremy: He's a good soldier, but seems a bit cocky. He got suckered into Mitsuba's scam, so he might not be very good at the diplomatic stuff. And he looks like a member of One Direction. I don't think Lino would want his grandkids taking after someone like that.

Axel: He's next in line to rule the island of Na Nal, so he's got some power. He's also good looking, with big arms. But he's a bit on the stubborn side, and he grew up in a village that was full of racism and distrust towards the elves. It took Lino a while to find common ground with him, so it's not impossible that they might have future fallouts.

Keneth: Now this guy's got ambition. He became vice commander of the Knights of Razril, so he'll likely take commandership after Katarina some day. If he had kids with Flare, some of them could become knights on Razril, while the others become warriors of Obel.

Tal: Tal was a loyal friend to Lazlo throughout his banishment, so he'd likely make a good family man. He chose a more humble path than Keneth, though, by simply becoming a fisherman. so he'd have plenty of family time, but probably not very good for political duties. Royalty might be a bit complicated for him, although the En Kuldes family aren't your regular snooty royals.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Lino made Jeremy the swordskill trainer of his entire national army. If he didn't want people taking after him, he probably wouldn't have done that....
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

What about Eugene? Iirc he even has a unite with Lino and I think he'd form a cute couple with Flare. Also, he's a great warrior, but I guess to shy (and his mother-complex doesn't help)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, Eugene got along with Lino. This could be a few years later, so by then Eugene ought to have matured and gained more confidence and become his own man.

My comment about Jeremy was taking the piss out of his wispy hairdo!
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

Reinbach is the most suited if I'll go with status LOL (not with age tho). But he will be kicked instantly by Lino due to his fancy character, he'll be much problematic than Flare when it comes to stuff. If you know what I mean lol.

Maybe I'll pick Snowe... just in case (just in CASE) he becomes a more courageous and buffed warrior who has lowered his pride. Lino will be doubtful due to his standing around the continent and his skills. However, Lazlo will help him and together with their secret-ultimate-amazing training, Snowe will outstand Lino's expectations! A new era will be born.

I think the best option when it comes to everything, would be Kenneth. He is a good sword-mage (stat wise) and is a great leader. Man... Can't think of anyone else. Need to restore my S4 thoughts from the past :P
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Good points, bluemask.

Reinbach III is an honourable man, but he'd be infuriating for the people of Obel to work with!! Millay was almost forced into marriage with him, so it might be a bit awkward for for her as well! I'm sure Setsu would probably LOVE to have Reinbach in the family, trying to help with Lino's fashion sense!

Poor Snowe failed as a knight and lost his noble status, but he's willing to make up for all his wrongs. But I don't know if he'd feel comfortable being welcomed into a royal family... His noble influences didn't exactly help him in the past. I think he would be constantly judged on the mistakes he made in the past...