Suikoden Voice Acting

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Sylo

Suikoden Voice Acting

Post by Sylo »

Im surprised to know that I couldnt seem to find a topic about this already. Unless I am mistaken and havent looked as hard as I could have.

Many people have done "Lets Play" on Youtube concerning the Suikoden games. Some people sort of voice act in jest or for entertainment or just to keep interest, but I was thinking....Has anyone actually attempted to gather a bunch of people to voice act the whole game?

Yes, thats right. I am thinking of a big scale project, with auditions and such to determine people who will voice act characters from the Suikoden games. Much like the Radio Drama, but just sticking to the dialogue in-game.

What is everyones thoughts on this? :)
"You will never be strong if you consider yourself weak" - Cleo, Suikoden
Belle

Re: Suikoden Voice Acting

Post by Belle »

It's been attempted several times before throughout the years, at least in other Suikoden communities. In fact, I remember auditioning for two separate projects. However, due to people's schedules and life changes, this kind of thing usually never makes it to production.

It's a great idea if you can find people who will commit to the project, though.

But...I don't necessarily agree with simply sticking to the dialogue in-game. As much as I love the stories, I'm not always crazy about the script. Yes, you could leave a lot of lines unchanged, but you would absolutely need to alter some of them, especially in the earlier games. Case in point... everything Pilika says until she gets over being mute, which is halfway through the game. I'm not trying to be funny. Her lines were painful enough to read in the game- she repeatedly refers to herself in the third person, and omits so many articles that you have to wonder what her first language was. (I have no idea if kids refer to themselves in the third person in other languages, but in English, it's just weird. My guess is they were trying to dumb down the dialogue and maybe overdid it.)

Oh, and don't forget the occasional portrait-swap when two characters are having a conversation. Imagine Lo Wen calling out her own name, Nina declaring her love for Odessa, or Teresa threatening to launch arrows on herself and her party.

But if you're going for a comedy, that's another story...
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Ed in Cowboy Bebop talks about herself in third person, and that sounds quite cute and funny (to me it does, anyway) so I don't think Pilika would sound that bad, as long as you got the right voice.

But yeah, that part where Teresa talks about the arrows is just awkward... Maybe you'd need someone to do a bit of additional video editing/image manipulation there.

I have my own microphone, so I could easily record myself and send clips to someone, but unfortunatley I don't have a very macho or manly voice. In fact, I sound like an absolute fairy. So you could probably get me to do voice over for the narcisistic characters. Or maybe Jess.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

The only people that should be allowed to refer to themselves in third person are Elmo and the Rock.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

No love for the Hulk?

"HULK NO UNDERSTAND PUNY HUMAN BIAS!!"
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Okay, Hulk too...BUT NO MORE!!! :D
PSN: FreshMetal80
Pyriel