Suikoden Short Stories - Crisis Point

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Suikoden Short Stories - Crisis Point

Post by dragonmasterx »

Crisis Point

The hill is stained deep red. Screams of agony, moans of despair, cries of death. At the core of this accursed mass stands one man. With an imposing physique enveloped in silver armor, he looks on with sharp, black eyes resembling starving wolves.

Due to the spurt of blood from his victims, his silver armor is no longer any different from the color of copper.

As the surviving men and women frantically try to escape, the man grabs them each by the nape of their neck and thrusts his sword deep through their back. As if slaughtering livestock, he effortlessly takes away human lives. To him, it’s not violence anymore—it’s just more work. But even so, a twisted smile clings to his lips.

The man’s subordinates surrounding the area watch the sight from a distance. Not a single one of them dares to imagine the sort of punishment that would be awaiting them if they were to disgruntle him.

The lives claimed by the man feed his rune, featuring the characteristics of a beast. Each time another person succumbs, the power of the rune increases. The man can feel that and gains pleasure from it

17 years have passed since he last stood on this hill.

This act is nothing so trivial as revenge; rather, this is the consequence of the path laid out to him by his heart.

But now that this hill is stained crimson with the blood of the local residents, the man definitely feels a strange and fulfilling sense of satisfaction. He feels the incessantly blazing flame within his heart that has always driven him on slightly cool down.

It all started from this hill, during the spring of 17 years past…

Chapter 1

The boy eagerly awaited this day for months.

The boy and his parents, or rather, the King of the Highland Kingdom, Agares Blight, Queen Sara, and Prince Luca were invited to a ceremony held in Muse City of the Jowston City-States.

Although the City-States of Jowston and Highland Kingdom signed a cease-fire agreement 15 years ago, it was hard to say they shared a good relationship. This was, the now 10 year old, Luca Blight’s first time away from Highland territory.

Two days after leaving the royal capital L'Renouille, the carriage Luca rode on safely entered the City-States.

Although they had crossed only one national border, everything he saw and heard, even the air, felt completely different. Luca stuck his head out of the carriage window. The cold spring wind blew against his cheek, disheveling his black hair. Unable to keep his eyes widened, he surveyed the surroundings with half-open eyes.

The mountain range he always saw in the east was now in the west. On the mountain enshrouded by a thin layer of mist, wild flowers were blooming profusely. Covered by all the greenery were lumps of light pink and yellow. Luca sniffed the air and took in the scent of the refreshing grass; but just as he thought, he could not smell the flowers.

“What are you doing? You’re not at peace.”

Seated next to him, Luca’s mother spoke in a quiet tone. Harsh as her words may have been, she spoke in a soothing voice.

Riding in the carriage were Luca, his mother, Sara, and two servants. Luca’s father was supposedly riding in the carriage right in front of their own.

“Sorry. That’s just so unusual.”

He withdrew his head and shut the window.

Luca’s mother took his hand and placed it on her lap.

In addition to having skin as white as ivory, Sara’s rich hair was worn high. She wore an elegant, lovely brown dress designed for travel. Sara was trying her best to make a mean face, but she was evidently smiling in the corner of her black pupils.

Rarely having the opportunity to get so close to his mother, Luca’s heart raced upon feeling the warmth of his mother’s hands.

“That’s right, this is your first time coming to Muse City, isn’t it? But, as a member of the Highland royal family, you must maintain a dignified disposition. Surely, you understand?”

“Yes, mother.”

The Queen smiled upon hearing Luca’s response. Seeing his mother’s beaming expression filled his heart with joy.

“I’m just so happy to be able to ride together with mother on a carriage and travel with father.”

Luca felt blessed to have this opportunity to spend time with his parents who were always swamped with official business.

People gathered at the route leading to Muse City, welcoming the royal family with resounding cheers. The King of Highland, along with his family, visiting the City-States of Jowston was an unprecedented affair. People delightedly took this visit as a sign of the advent of true peace.

Luca and his mother both waved their hands from their carriage windows at the people standing on the roadside. Small shops and houses were all jumbled together; it was quite unlike the orderly royal capital, L'Renouille. It seemed strange that this place served as Muse Principality’s capital.

The people packed onto the roadside smiled while waving their hands; in the midst of the crowd stood one man hoisting Highland’s flag. The windows of the houses on the route were all open, and confetti filled the air, dancing in the wind.

Even in Highland, Luca never received such a grand reception. But that was likely because the Highlanders simply happened to be more conservative—holding grandiose festivities would be unbefitting of them. Being greeted by people he had met for the first time with such ardent fervor embarrassed him, but at the same time, it made Luca proud.

The carriage eventually came to a halt at the foot of a low hill. From there, they would ascend by foot. This site was known as Jowston Hill, the official gathering place for the city-states’ political conferences.

Having properly outfitted themselves in the waiting room, Luca and Sara sat in on the back seats, listening and watching attentively.

Surrounding the large table placed in the center of the room were a group clad in splendid armor, people dressed in clothing no different from that of businessmen, and an assemblage of civil officials; people dressed in all manner of apparel were gathered by the table. There were around thirty of them.

Luca learned before that the City-States of Jowston consisted of six individual city-states. These people must have been the representatives of those city-states, and their close associates. “Without such a large gathering, the City-States of Jowston can’t decide on anything. But at Highland, father alone makes decisions on just about everything,” thought Luca.

Luca recalled last week’s lesson in which he learned the structure and the beginning of City-States of Jowston; it made him pity the citizens of the City-States for not having a brilliant leader like his own father.

“His Majesty, King Agares Blight of Highland Kingdom!”

The moment the loud voice resounded, the meeting room door opened and in entered Luca’s father, accompanied by his close aides. The noisy grounds fell silent at once, the seated bodies rose and welcomed the King with clapping hands. His large body was covered by a loose-fitting mantle; donning a simple-looking crown, he walked toward the center of the applause, commanding greater dignity than anyone else.

“Wow, dad is so marvelous!” thought Luca.

Rapture so great, almost painful, welled up in the boy’s heart. He could scarce believe he was the son of such a wonderful father. Luca fell into a daze and also joined in on the applause.

As his father sat in the middle seat, the ceremony began. The main speaker was Darrel, both mayor of Muse City and leader of the City-States.

Compared to Highland’s fancy formalities, the City-States’ ceremonies were much simpler, and the words being spoken were much more direct and easier to interpret. “Here and now, let us confer eternal peace between Highland Kingdom and the City-States of Jowston,” they seemed to have been saying.

The representatives of each city-state and the King pledged their oaths; as the King and Darrel signed the contract, roaring cheers and applause arose from the meeting room.
It looks like the signing ceremony came to an end without any hindrances.

“I wish the ceremonies at home were this simple,” muttered Luca involuntarily.

At Highland ceremonies, it was the custom for important personnel from the Holy Kingdom of Harmonia to come and hold lengthy discussions on who knows what. But now, Luca was trying his best just to stay awake.

After the ceremony, they moved to another room for the banquet. A grand feast was prepared on the enormous table. Even those sitting in the back during the ceremony were present. People, dressed in all manner of clothing, held their glasses up and engaged in pleasant conversation. Inside were also many wining and dining on heaps of food.

Holding wine-filled glasses, Luca’s father and mother were surrounded by a great number of people. His mother was dressed in a dark green dress suitably matching her ivory skin, and a radiant tiara adorned her forehead. She looked absolutely stunning—all the other ladies there paled in comparison. And next to her was Luca’s father, looking majestic as always; smiles poured in his direction each time he opened his mouth. The boy only gazed at his parents.

“Prince Luca, you’re not bored, are you?”

The sudden voice surprised Luca, making him rise from his seat in the corner of the hall. In front of him stood Darrel from the ceremony.

“No, not at all,” mumbled Luca in response.

In spite of Darrel’s good physique, his eyes were hung up; making it seem like he harbored ill intentions. Luca couldn’t stand them.

“I’d like to introduce my daughter, Anabelle. She’s much closer to your age than I am, so perhaps she might be a good conversation partner.”

Following Darrel’s beckoning, a young girl wearing pants like a man and a cloth over her head like a commoner came over. Their ages may have been closer, but there still seemed to be a six or seven age difference between them. With large eyes and nose, she put on a determined face. Luca found it odd for the daughter of a mayor to be in such a get-up.

“I’m Anabelle. Nice to meet you.”

She quickly held out her hand.

When offered the hand of a woman of high social status, it was considered proper etiquette to kiss the back of her hand. Of course, a mayor’s daughter mustn’t be treated any differently from nobility. Having concluded that, Luca, as was expected in proper court etiquette, withdrew his left leg and held up Anabelle’s hand with his right hand. Just then…

Anabelle grasped Luca’s hand with great force and shook it up and down.

Luca’s cheeks flared up.

Luca was angry during the whole trip home on the carriage from Muse. When Luca tried to place a kiss on Anabelle’s hand, she shook it forcefully, colliding with Luca’s face due to his short stature. Others looking on could only see Luca as a queer for continually smacking his own face.

Although Anabelle immediately apologized, Luca could not forgive her. Afterwards, Anabelle tried to discourse with him regarding various subjects, but Luca completely ignored her.

“She doesn’t even have any manners, just what kind of education did she undergo!? At Highland, she’d be called a he-she, and everyone would snub her!” thought Luca.

His wounded pride still hurt, he repeated that scene countless times in his head—the utter embarrassment almost made him want to die.

“Hmph,” sighed Luca loudly.

“Are you well, Luca?” You’ve been looking really down since yesterday.”

As Luca raised his eyes, he noticed his mother looking into his pupils worriedly.

Just like when they set out, Luca and his mother rode in the same carriage, but now with two lady servants. The coachman and guard were out on the driver’s seat, out of Luca’s sight.

“It’s nothing. I’m just a bit tired.”

Luca smiled awkwardly.

“You’re okay? We’ve been on the road without rest for quite a while now. Once we pass the national border, I’ll set up a tent for us. It won’t be long until then, Luca.”

Luca’s mother covered him in a blanket and gently brushed his hair.

“This should be a little more comfortable. If you can sleep like this, then do so.”

As wrinkles formed on her brow from worry, Luca grew shameful for prevaricating a moment ago. At the same time, his vexation was no more.

“I’m really lucky to have such a wonderful mother.”

With that thought, Luca buried his face in the blanket.

Upon returning to L'Renouille, he would be surrounded by large numbers of people every day as usual. Luca was no longer a little child to be pampered by his mother in front of others.

Luca feigned to be fast asleep, and leaned on his mother’s shoulder. Sara’s body felt soft and snug, and she smelled nice. Enveloped in her soothing warmth, Luca fell into a slumber before he knew it.

Feeling a terrible rumble, Luca opened his eyes.

The carriage was running along frenziedly. The sound of the wheels rumbled in his stomach, his neck was shaken up and down as if being torn off. The lamplights inside the carriage make a clattering racket. Close to tumbling down from his seat, the bewildered Luca clung to the carriage door.

“M-Mother, what is this? What’s happening?”

“Thank goodness, you’re awake.”

His mother’s voice rang louder than usual. The two maids in the front seats were clamoring wildly.

“Listen calmly, Luca. This carriage is being attacked by thieves.”

“Thieves?”

“Well, they could also be mountain bandits or assassins, I’m not sure. We’re surrounded. It doesn’t look like we can shake them off.”

“Why?”

Luca could not understand what his mother was trying to get at. Still muddled from having just woken up, he could not believe there existed people who would try to hurt them. Although Luca had much to ask, he was at a loss for words.

“This carriage will come to a stop soon. Escape before then. Cover your head tightly with both arms so as not to get caught up in the wheels.”

“Aren’t you coming too, mother?”

“No. A woman like me would only slow you down. I’ll try to draw their attention for as long as possible. I want you to escape alone.”

“How could I...!? I’m not going off on my own without you, mother!”

“I know it’s tough, but please understand what I’m telling you.”

“No~! I want to be together with mother!”

A sharp pain rushed across his cheek. The mark left by the pain gradually grew hotter. His mother slapped him. She held on tightly to Luca’s shoulders and looked quietly into his eyes. Her face looked incredibly serious, but beautiful at the same time.

“Listen well, Luca Blight. You are the sole prince of Highland Kingdom. Your life does not belong to you alone. You hold a great responsibility towards the citizens of Highland. Thieves surely wouldn’t go so far as to take the life of a woman like me. But if they capture you, your life will be no more.”

Luca no longer held the will to resist. His mother expeditiously wrapped him up in the blanket, kissed him on the forehead, and opened the carriage door. The wind blew fiercely. It became a bit calmer now, but the carriage was still moving along at a brisk speed.

“I love you, Luca.”

The instant after hearing his mother murmur close to his ear, Luca was pushed by a great force from behind.

His shaken body rolled against the ground. It became unclear which directions the sky and earth were. Just as his had mother instructed him, Luca covered his head frantically with both arms. The noise made by the wheels of the carriage and the hooves of the bandits’ horses sounded closely, but it quickly went away. Luca’s body was in pain.

The vicinity was enshrouded in the darkness of the night. Luca hid under the blanket, shuddering the whole time. The fear of death, which he had never tasted, had just hit him.

Not far from his current location, Luca heard the terrified screams of men and fearful shrieks of women.

“What am I going to do? What if they kill mother?”

Luca was afraid just to imagine what was being done to his mother. Enveloped in fear and hopelessness, tears came pouring out.

“That voice—it must be mother. She must be calling for help.”

The thought alone gave Luca the strength to stand up, but his body would not bulge as he tried to move forth. Even though he held confidence in his skill with a sword, even though his instructor was often astonished by his ability, his body would not act. Luca was bound by fear.

“Help me, someone help…”

Plugging his ears tightly and muttering some kind of prayer, the youngster only continued to tremble, waiting for help to arrive.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Re: Suikoden Short Stories - Crisis Point

Post by dragonmasterx »

Chapter 2

Highland's Royal Guard came at the outset of dawn. Luca was discovered huddled over, trembling in a terror-stricken state at the foot a tree near the highway.

Luca was placed on a carriage, receiving treatment for all the scrapes and scratches on his skin and a warm beverage for nourishment. He felt like an outsider.

Luca had already arrived at royal capital L'Renouille by the time he regained full consciousness. He could scarce believe what he saw on the throne of the audience chamber. His father sat there, with not even the least bit of injury or ruffled clothing. It was almost as if his father was not even present at the scene; sitting by idly on the throne the whole time, completely oblivious to the bandits’ attack.

“Luca, thank goodness you’re safe.”

His father’s voice was much lower than usual and his face turned pale as specks of fear and anxiety showed between his eyes. He clasped his hands together so tightly they turned white as he began to tremble.

“Father, you’re shaking. Why!?”

Luca watched his father, who trembled with his arms clutched to his shoulders, in disbelief. To Luca, who recalled his own moment of shock, his father seemed to be shaking in fear.

“Where’s mother? Is she alright?”

“Sara was… She was rescued slightly before you. She hasn’t suffered any injuries, but she’s undergone a terrible shock, so just let her rest for now.“

Luca’s father’s gaze did not meet his own. He must have been ashamed of himself, possibly even hiding something.

“Where were you, father? Why did you not come to save us?”

Luca could not hold back the censuring tone in his voice.

“I went to call for help. I regret not having been able to save you; but with my duties as the King of Highland, I cannot afford to die.”

“So you didn’t even care WHAT might happen to mother and I!”

On one hand, Luca was just speaking to his dad; on the other hand, he was startled to find himself speaking to the King of Highland in such a manner. At the same time, Luca felt the image of the father he respected so much begin to fall apart.

“I never said that. There were simply too many enemies at the time, and we could not handle them alone.”

“So you ran away!”

“I did NOT run away! I went to call for aid!”

Luca’s father shouted in consternation. However, a certainty brew within Luca’s mind.

“You ran away, father! In fear, you abandoned mother and I there, running off only to save yourself!

Luca lost all the respect and trust he ever had for his father.

“Is mother in her room?”

Luca tried his best to ask in a composed manner, but his father grew even more uneasy.

“Like I said, she has yet to recover from the shock and is still sleeping. She won’t be able to see anyone for a while.”

“A while? How long will that be? Why can’t I see her?!”

Luca asked bewilderedly. After all, he was thinking earlier that if all his mother needed was to recover from shock, he could see her tomorrow. He never imagined his father to say anything like that.

“How many days it will take depends entirely on Sara’s condition. Until then, do not disturb your mother; until I say it’s ok, you shall NOT see your mother!”

“No! Why?!”

“No matter what! Ok?! Is that clear?!”

His father was definitely hiding something. But before Luca had chance to ask his father what it might be, he had already left the audience chamber.

Agares Blight seemed to be going mad in the midst of his anger. Consumed with emotional agitation, his hands would not cease to shake. Earlier, he was not even able to console his injured son.

The attack happened shortly after crossing the national border to Highland. With ten or so rogues on each carriage, they pretty much had control over the whole situation. Furthermore, according to the report made by the Royal Guard, the corpses of rogues that should have been defeated were gone. They were no mere bandits; they had to belong to some army.

Highland’s political state was stable, so there was no reason for the military to start a coup d’etat, meaning the attack must have been perpetrated by the Jowston City-States.

Mayor Darrel of Muse City registered in Agares’ mind. During the dinner banquet after the ceremony, Darrel’s face broke into a suspicious smile. Some say he was opposed to the enactment of the permanent cease-fire treaty to the very end. Even 15 years ago, when Han and Genkaku’s efforts to pass a cease-fire treaty finally came to fruition, Darrel tried to stop them through contemptible means.

The attack this time was, without a doubt, called upon by him.

Unfortunately, there was no proof of that. Taking counteractive measures without any proof would cause Highland to be slandered for breaking the cease-fire treaty. The Jowston City-States would gain the whole world as its allies, and attack without hesitation. Highland would turn the entire world into its enemy, and have to fight them off alone.

The only possible course of action at the moment was to capture the bandits.

Not being able to pay retribution for such an act was most humiliating.

Agares cursed himself. It was not that he neglected to take his wife and son into consideration at the time; just escaping from the assailants was a priority. He figured they were probably only after him, the King of Highland, and that if he escaped, everyone else would be okay.

But now, that served as nothing more than a poor excuse.

During that attack, Sara suffered a lifelong irrecoverable injury. And Luca…

Recalling the image of his fine son covered from head to toe in bandages, scowling at him with eyes filled with anger, sadness, and scorn during the audience earlier pained Agares’ heart.

“Reporting for duty, Your Majesty.”

One of the Royal Guard entered the living room and kneeled.

“The sealing of Highland’s Northern Border has been completed. And tomorrow morning, preparations to seal the North Sparrow border south of Kyaro should be complete.”

“Good work. You may go now.”

Agares spoke coldly, and let the soldier leave.

He wanted to capture the assailants at any cost. Although they signed a cease-fire treaty, that did not mean they could freely cross the national borders. The assailants consisted of over 50 soldiers. They could not easily pass through the borders without drawing attention. Surely, they were still hiding somewhere in Highland, waiting for the military’s watch to loosen. Upon capturing them, Agares planned on torturing them until they revealed the ones who gave the order for the attack.

“I WON’T let this pass!” shouted Agares vehemently in the empty room.

“Luca, welcome back. It must’ve been a very painful experience for you.”

Waiting for Luca in his room was a large, plump elderly woman. Her name was Mariel, a long-time servant of the Blight family. She originally came in as Sara’s wet nurse; Sara brought her along when she married into the Royal Family. Mariel became Luca’s exclusive caretaker upon his birth. Luca has come to see her as a grandmotherly figure; things he couldn’t tell even his mother, he would discuss with Mariel.

“Mariel.”

Luca’s eyelids slowly grew hot. The pent-up emotions he had tried so hard to repress welled up. Unable to hold them in anymore, Luca clung to Mariel.

“I-I, mother’s…”

Luca wanted to tell her everything: about running away from the carriages alone, about not being able to save his mother, and relieve his conscience. Yet, he remained speechless. He did not wish to be branded a coward by Mariel. The fear of being abandoned by Mariel was too great.

“Luca, there is no need to worry. Your mother is on her way to recovery.”

Mariel gently stroked Luca’s head as she spoke.

The burning sensation in his eyes traveled down to his nose, the tight feeling in his throat loosened. Luca could endure it no longer—clinging to Mariel, he cried like a young pup. Mariel continued to stroke his head, imparting words of consolation.

“I…cried, just like a baby.”

Luca felt awkward as his tears stopped flowing.

“No Luca, you underwent a terrifying experience. You’re a very patient boy, but holding it in all the time is senseless. It’s ok to cry sometimes.”

Mariel wiped Luca’s face clean with a towel. Hearing that made Luca feel much better.

“Thanks, I feel a little better now.”

“Some say that men shouldn’t cry. But I think, regardless of whether one is a man or a woman, holding in the painful feelings never does any good. Although, becoming a crybaby isn’t good either.”

Mariel made an angry face. Luca didn’t realize it at first because he didn’t get a clear look at her face, but her eyelids were swollen red.

“Did you cry too, Mariel?”

“Of course. After my precious Luca and dear Sara suffered such a dreadful experience, there was way no way I couldn’t cry. I regret not having been able to accompany you. If anything happened to the two of you, I don’t know how I’d go on.”

Tears gathered in the ends of Mariels’ eyes. She seemed ready to cry even now. To Mariel, Luca’s mother was still “Dear Sara”.

“I was let off the carriage early, so I don’t know what happened to mother. Father won’t tell me and forbids me from seeing her. Are her injuries bad? She’s not dead, is she?”

Luca sounded desperate. Mariel’s eyes wandered for a moment. Choosing her words carefully in response,

“Of course Sara is alive and well. Her wounds aren’t too bad. It’s just that she’s still shocked from the awful experience. Even the servants and coachman accompanying her were killed.

Luca swallowed his breath. The servants riding with them on the carriage were attending to his mother, so he didn’t know them that well, but they were only young women. Did they do anything so wrong to deserve to be killed? Seeing everyone killed in front of her must have filled Luca’s mother with dread. How helpless she must have felt.

Animosity towards the offenders arose sharply in Luca.

“Who was it that attacked us? Why did they do it?”

“We don’t know who the culprits are yet, but we’re searching for them frantically.”

“So they haven’t been caught yet?”

Since the Royal Guard came, Luca thought they had already been caught long ago. But to think that they were roaming about unpunished was beyond belief.

“But now with all of Highland’s national borders closed and search parties dispatched, it’s only a matter of time before they’re rounded up. I’ll be sure to spit on them when the time comes.”

“They’re gonna get it from me too!”

Luca’s heart filled with resentment towards the offenders.

“However, no matter how badly we punish them, what’s lost cannot be regained.”

What was Mariel thinking as she said that?

“Hey, Mariel. Is it ok if I go see mother? Seeing my face should relieve some of her shock and make her feel better. After all, she always tells me how comforting it is to see my smiling face. Could you keep it a secret from father, and let me see mother secretly?”

Tears poured out of Mariel’s eyes.

“No Luca, you’re still a child, so you may not understand. When adults experience such a terrible trauma, they want to be alone. For now, please let her be at peace.”

Mariel buried her face in her apron and gave a stifled cry. It was Luca’s turn to console her.

The next morning, the one to wake up Luca was not Mariel.

“Mariel’s health has fallen apart, so she’s been sent back to her hometown. She asked me to take good care of you.”

This gloomy, cold young man, named John, would become Luca’s new caretaker.

Luca refused to believe that Mariel would simply leave him without a word.

Luca inquired everyone he ran into in the palace about his mother’s condition and Mariel’s whereabouts. But no one would say anything more than “Your mother’s okay, but she won’t see anyone now. As for Mariel, she’s gone back to her village.” Then they would walk away swiftly with their heads down. Some would even turn and walk the other away at the mere sight of Luca. It’s as if the subject of his mother and Mariel were taboo. During the usual meals with his father, they never got any further on the subject because he’d always use the excuse “I’m too busy.” Luca ended up eating alone while being watched by the miserable caretaker.

Luca felt lonely. He was always very shy, only able to speak calmly from his heart to his mother and Mariel. And now, they were gone. The newcomer John seemed more like a guard, following him wherever he went, and rarely opening his mouth.

Luca endured all of this for ten days.

On the night of the tenth day, John said he was going to turn in early, so he put Luca to bed sooner than usual. Luca took this chance to slip out of bed. He peeped into the keyhole of John’s room next door; John was reading a book from a chair by the door facing the hallway. Since Luca’s room was the innermost one on the second floor, he couldn’t get anywhere without passing by John’s room. There was no way Luca could go down the hallway without John noticing.

However, Luca knew of a secret route. He discovered it by chance when cutting his detested history professor’s lectures. Mariel knew of the route, but surely John didn’t.

Luca quickly changed and put on his lightest footwear. Making as little sound as possible, he opened the window widely. Gripping the window frame tightly and sticking his body outside, his throat was by the window frame when his feet landed on solid ground. It was a protrusion built as a decoration for the outer wall. Last time Luca tried, his nose was by the window frame. In the most unexpected of places, Luca discovered how much he had grown.

The protrusion was just wide enough for Luca’s feet to move on. Luca held on to the window frame tightly and slid his feet across, moving along like a crab. The next room was his own living room, after that was John’s room. The curtains were closed, but Luca still passed through with his head down. The neighboring room was his mother’s bedroom.

Luca raised his head. The lights were turned off. He used the faint outdoor light to get a peek inside, but it looked like no one was sleeping inside. He tried pushing open the window only to find it locked. Moving on to the next room, Luca found the lights turned off in this one too, with no one inside.

“What’s going on?”

Luca pushed open the window. This one wasn’t locked.

He entered the room and surveyed his surroundings.

The room was spotless; it appeared as if no one had been in here for some time. He went forth to the bedroom and found the bed completely tidied up, it did not look like his mother had been sleeping there. Just to be sure, he turned over the futon and touched the sheets. Luca went absentminded—the sheets were full of his dear mother’s scent. Without thinking, he embraced the futon.

“ Mother…”

As he tried to speak, tears came flowing out. Confused, Luca released the futon.

He opened the closet next and found most of the clothes missing. There was no more doubt—his mother had been gone from this room for a long time.

Luca returned to the adjacent living room and walked out the hallway. He didn’t care anymore if John saw him or not. To reach his father’s room on the third floor, he ran down the hallway and ascended the staircase. Sure enough, John’s door flew open and he came running after Luca.

“Father!”

Luca flung himself toward his father’s room.

“Where’s mother at right now?! Where did she go?!”

His father was sitting alone on the sofa in the living room. He looked at Luca with a startled countenance. Although it was only ten days since they last saw each other, Luca’s father looked so much older. His wrinkle lines were clearly visible on his brow.

“I’m so sorry!” shouted John from behind, apologizing to his father.

“C’mon, Luca, let’s get back to your room.”

John grasped Luca’s arm tightly and tried to drag him away. But his father stopped him with a look and sent him off.

“I was thinking we should get this straight once and for all.”

With only the two of them now, Luca’s father broke the ice.

“You’re no longer a child. You deserve to know everything.”

His father’s voice rang frighteningly. It seemed as if he really wanted to tell the truth this time.

“We suffered a crushing blow during that attack. There were a total of 24 of us who went to Muse. Out of those, the only survivors were you, me, Sara, and two servants. The other 19 were brutally slaughtered. They purposely allowed Sara to live. The fact that you’re even alive right now is a miracle.”

Luca was shocked to hear this and his throat went dry. Death was only a hair’s breadth away at the time. If not for his mother, he would have no doubt died there.

“Mother could’ve escaped from the moving carriages. But she was afraid she’d only slow me down, so she stayed in the carriage to draw the bandits’ attention.”

Luca’s father nodded.

“That’s the kind of woman your mother is. So that’s why you were the only one found in such a distant place.”

He spoke of Luca’s mother as if she were a dead person. Seeing his father’s nonchalant attitude filled him with hate. None of this would have happened if only his father had saved her. Yet, he spoke of her like an outsider.

“Since we haven’t any eyewitnesses, we don’t know in detail how each person was killed, but the ladies were all killed after being soiled. And your mother, too, was soiled.”

Luca failed to comprehend his father.

“Father, what do you mean by ‘soiled’? Does it mean they dirtied her clothing?”

His father’s face turned bright red.

“You don’t need to know what it means! At any rate, Sara went through an awful experience and suffered a mental trauma.”

“Then when’s mother going to recover?”

Luca’s father could only shake his head in response.

“No one knows. Your mother’s wound is heavy. Wounds to the mentality can only be cured by the victims themselves.”

“But, why won’t you allow me to see her? She’ll surely get better after seeing me. Because she said she loves me!”

The tears came flooding out. Those were his mother’s last words in the carriage. Before that, she never said anything of the sort. It was as if she was ready to die.

“Please, father! Let me see mother! I want to see her!”

Luca could no longer stand and collapsed on the ground. Not minding his own runny nose, he cried tempestuously.

“Stand up, Luca Blight!”

His father’s voice thundered down upon him. It was a strict voice, without hesitation. Luca sluggishly got up and wiped his tears and nose with his sleeves.

“I understand your love for your mother. But as the successor to the Blight Royal Family’s throne, you must not lose your composure over such trivial matters.”

“Trivial, you say?”

“Your mother’s condition is not fatal. She just needs time to recover. And no one can assist her with that. It’s something she has to do herself. You will soon reach 11 years of age. It’s a good time for you to be apart from your mother.”

His father stood up and embraced Luca. Luca froze at his father’s actions. His father had never hugged him before.

“Luca, focus on your studies. Make your mother proud. That is the best thing you can do to repay your mother for saving your life.

That was his father’s greatest expression of love, but Luca could only accept it coldly. After all, there was still something he couldn’t help but wonder.

“Father, have the assailants been captured yet?”

His father’s face completely changed. His father’s face instantly turned into a politician’s face. And he lifelessly removed his hands from Luca’s shoulder.

“You need not worry about that. As of now, the borders are sealed and we’re not leaving a stone unturned in our search. They will be found before long.”

Those words were no different from what Mariel had said, meaning there had been no progress since then.

“Are you searching for them earnestly?”

“Silence! Such insolence will not be tolerated!”

Without thinking, his father’s features changed instantly as he bellowed in response.

“You’re not the only one who hates them, even I want to tear them from limb to limb, and that still wouldn’t be enough! It’s just that we haven’t found them yet...”

His father covered his own face in shame. Luca could almost feel his father’s anguish. Not wanting to see his father like that, Luca averted his gaze.

Perhaps he did not realize it himself, but Luca wanted to blame someone for all the sorrow the experience put him through. He felt that having a culpable party would put his heart at ease. And it was much easier to blame someone close-by rather than someone he had never met before. For Luca, his father fit that role well. But knowing his father’s anguish made it hard to hate him.

“That’s enough, go,” said Luca’s father with his head still drooping.

However, Luca still did not get to ask what he wanted to know most.

“Just allow me to ask one thing. Where is mother right now?”

“You’ve no need to know. Just do what you should be doing now.”

Luca was driven out of the room.

Agares Blight felt uneasy. His son possessed more of a childish nature than he thought.

He told his son about the shocking truth that even adults would cringe at, because he knew his son would not be fooled by a shabby fabrication. Agares hoped Luca would give up on his mother after learning the truth.

However, Luca did not forgo the matter so easily. If he knew his mother’s whereabouts, he would no doubt go off to see her at any cost. Ever since he was young, Luca was the type who would not listen once an idea got into his head. Raising him upright would allow him to surpass Agares as King. According to instructor Han, Luca’s swordsmanship was so good he could take on 5 combatants alone. Although Han had grown old, he was still considered the finest swordsman in the nation. If the boy set off on a journey now, he could probably take on any crisis.

But Agares couldn’t bear to show his son what had become of his mother. He wished to harm his son no further.

Agares loved his son. It was only because he was so busy all the time that he left Luca to his mother and caretaker Mariel. When Agares hugged his son earlier, his son’s slender body stiffened. Of course, a father who was never around his son might as well just be another outsider. It was so bad now, even a shimmer of hate could be seen in his son’s eyes. If Mariel was around, she could help stop Luca; but she was much more needed elsewhere.

Agares rang the bell on top of the table.

“Your bidding, your Majesty?”

A servant appeared in a moment’s notice.

“Tighten the watch over Luca. And what’s his name again? Luca’s caretaker?”

“You mean John?”

“Yes, relieve him of his duties and have someone else take care of Luca. An elderly woman would be good.”

“Yes, your Majesty!”

And reinforce the gag order. Luca must not find out where Sara is.

“Understood!”

After letting the servant go, Agares was alone again.

He had done everything he could; but the anxiety in his heart remained. As much as he needed his wife right now, she was in a distant unreachable place.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Re: Suikoden Short Stories - Crisis Point

Post by dragonmasterx »

Chapter 3

The new caretaker was the worst.

She was neither sensible nor bright, and treated Luca like a kid. Luca dreaded being called “Young Master” by her every time. But he coped with it. Since she was blind, as long as Luca seemed to be acting obediently, she couldn’t tell what he was really doing.

Half a year had passed since the incident. Luca was now 11 years old.

Luca did not remember his birthday celebration very well. He only recalled sitting there receiving words of congratulation from his father and subordinates, and brooding over his mother’s absence. Normally, his mother would be the first to congratulate him “Happy Birthday, Luca!”

When his last baby teeth fell out, he reminisced about Mariel. It was always Mariel who would chant an incantation and throw his teeth out. Awaiting her return, Luca placed his baby teeth in a box. Even without the incantation, Luca grew splendid teeth.

Luca found a new hobby.

It was a mere coincidence at first. Luca struck down flies that flew by. Even without exerting too much force, they went down fast. Taking the life of something that was alive only moments ago became a source of pleasure for Luca. He possessed the power to kill insects; knowing that an insect’s life and death all depended on his mood made him feel like he could do anything.

He eventually took on spiders, butterflies, and beetles—his targets gradually increased in magnitude. Although birds, rabbits, and dogs resisted, he would fall into a daze while tormenting them; and upon regaining consciousness, he would find them in pieces. Seeing the awful bloodstained rabbit leg consumed him with feelings of guilt, but he could never forget the incredible ecstasy he felt whenever he went into a daze, and so could never stop the practice.

The assailants from that night were still loose. Some went as far as saying they might not even be in the vicinity of the Highland Kingdom anymore. Of course, his father relaxed on the throne, giving orders; while taking no action himself. That was way no way to catch criminals. Even Luca himself was capturing and killing animals by his own hand; the fact that his father couldn’t do the same was pathetic.

Luca now knew where his mother was, having found out from the caretaker’s careless prattle. She was in a royal villa in the town of Kyaro, the same place they visited every summer.

Now aware of his mother’s whereabouts, Luca made preparations to slip out of the castle. Lengthening his hair, readying aged garments, gathering food, retrieving an escape rope; in doing everything he could, Luca even tied his own personal pony in a different spot from the other horses.

On the day he finally finished preparations to go meet his mother, Luca awoke before daybreak. He swiftly changed clothes, and put food and blankets into a sack. His water canteen had already been prepared a few days ago. Tying the rope to the foot of his bed, Luca opened the window wide and climbed down via the rope. Luca lay low in the thick shrubbery while heading towards his pony. He unfastened the rope, but there was no time to get a saddle. Grabbing the dagger from his waist, Luca serrated the pony’s mane, and also cut his own hair appropriately. After covering the pony and himself completely in dirt, their disguise was now complete. The guard standing watch took Luca, who dragged the pony along while trudging forward looking downwards, for one of the castle servants and let him pass.

Riding forth in this vast stretch of earth felt refreshing.

The highway was completely deserted at this early hour, it belonged to Luca alone. As he took a deep breath, the smell of autumn so strong it seemed like trees were burning pervaded his senses. About half a year had passed since he last breathed real air like this.

The weather was tranquil, neither hot nor cold. Luca’s journey proceeded smoothly. Although a few wild monsters attacked him on the way, they were no match for the well-trained Luca. Luca considered eating their corpses in order to preserve his packed food longer, but it seemed too filthy to do so.

On the eve of the following day, Luca arrived at the Tenzan Pass. After getting across the mountain pass, Kyaro would be right around the corner. Luca placed his belongings on the pony’s back and ascended the hill by foot. Since Luca had been riding on an unsaddled horse all along, his backside was hurting so much he could barely stand it.

Luca quickly began to sweat. His throat was drying up, but he had little water left. Luca persisted and moved on.

“Yo, kid.”

Luca stopped in his tracks as the all-too familiar voice called out to him. A carriage stopped on the pass, standing in front of it was a man with a mean glare. The man watched Luca with a smirk. Immediately deciding it would be best not to get involved, Luca quickly tried to walk away.

“Yo, are ya tryin’ to ignore me? I called out to ya outta kindness, ya know? You and your baby horse are lookin’ pretty darn tired.”

Hearing ‘horse’ prompted Luca to look at his pony, which was foaming around the mouth—it really was tired. After all, Luca didn’t feed it much water.

“How about it? I gots somethin’ good fo’ ya.”

The man fetched two light brown pears from his carriage. They may have been small; but at the same time, they looked delicious.

“They’re real good. Just one bite into ‘em and your thirst’ll be quenched instantly.”

“Can I have them?”

Without thinking, Luca was hooked in by the man’s offer.

“Yea, I’m givin’ em to ya.”

The man put the pears on both of Luca’s hands. Luca gave one to the pony and pounced on the other hungrily. The pears weren’t too sweet, but the juice relieved them of their dry throats.

“Those’re some fine pears, eh?"

The smirking man was in a very good mood.

“Yes, they were delicious. Thank you very much.”

As Luca bowed, the man held out his hand.

“The price’ll be 500 potch. I’m nettin' ya a real sweet deal here.”

“Price?”

“Whoa, come on now, there ain’t no such thing as a nice guy who gives away free stuff. It’s mah’ fault fo’ not tellin’ ya earlier, but I’m trying to make a livin' here too, ya know?”

Luca did not understand what the man was trying to say. Up until now, Luca had never had to give anything for food. However, Luca understood the concept of potch as money. He learned before that money serves as an intermediary in the trade of goods and generally makes commerce flow.

“I’m sorry, I do not have any money on me.”

The man’s expression changed instantly.

“Whadda ya mean ya ain’t got no money? Damn runt, ya went ahead and ate mah’ food anyway! What the hell did I give em to ya for?! If ya ain’t gonna pay up, gimme back those pears ya just ate!“

The man went into his usual intimidating disposition. Luca had never been shouted at so furiously. The man standing in front of him was terrifying.

“If only I had power, I wouldn’t let him do this,” thought Luca.

“Hey, whadda hell are ya spacin’ out fo’?! How do ya plan on payin’ me back now, huh?!”

The man grabbed Luca by the chest with great force and shook him violently. Luca lost his breath and his head was spinning, he could only tremble in fear.

“I-I understand. I’ll do anything.”

The man let go of Luca. Losing the support on his body, Luca fell headfirst into the ground. Now kicked in the midriff, a raging pain surged through Luca making it difficult for him to breathe. He seemed ready to vomit at any second.

“You shoulda just said dat from the beginning. I’ll be taking your little horsie there.”

The man grabbed the pony by the reins and fastened it to the carriage.

“I’ll at least give ya back your luggage. Ya oughta be grateful. I’m off.”

The man threw the luggage in front of Luca, and without even turning back, ascended the mountain pass.

Luca could not utter even a single word; he continued, laid on the ground, looking ahead. That pony was a gift from Luca’s parents on his seventh birthday. They had been together ever since then.

It was mortifying. Luca thought of himself as ‘worthless’. “I’ll kill you,” the thought suddenly manifested in Luca’s head, confusing him. Killing people was something that was never to be done.

Luca hanged his head down in shame as he trudged along. This was the same gait he had put on the day before as a disguise.

Luca felt much better when he reached the summit of the mountain pass. The scenic view was breathtaking. From there on, the route to his mother in Kyaro would be a descending path. Luca would badger his mother for another pony. Perhaps this time, he would get a bigger horse.

“She might scold me at first, but I’m sure she’ll be happy.”

Thinking of his mother put him in good spirits again. That day, Luca continued walking until he fell asleep.

The next day, Luca continued along the path while searching for water. He had already drunk all of his water canteen in the afternoon. After a brief stroll, he heard the slight sound of flowing water. As he walked off the main road into the forest, he found a gush of water, as thin as a piece of hair, spouting forth from among the rocks. He sunk his hand into the rocks, but couldn’t scoop up any water. There was a good amount in the spring where the water sprung from, but with all the mud and bubbles mixed in, that water didn’t look very palatable. Luca gave up, and decided to bear with it until he reached Kyaro.

As Luca turned back to the highway, the corner of his eye caught sight of a purple haze. Finding it peculiar, he approached it to find a cluster of light purple flowers about as tall as his chest; asters were growing thickly in that area.

Luca held no interest in flowers, but he at least knew the name of that one flower—they were his mother’s favorite. Every autumn, she would head out to the mountains with a few servants, and consequently decorate the castle with asters she personally picked.

“Ugh, those weedy flowers again,” Luca’s father would tease every year. To which his mom would always respond “Of course! They bring back so many great memories!” Then her face would flush bright red with a huge smile.

That face surfaced in Luca’s mind. Luca loved his mother. He wanted to see her, to embrace her tightly.

Luca plucked a few flowers as a souvenir for his mother and quickly headed back towards the highway.

Chapter 4

It was around nightfall when Luca arrived at the villa in Kyaro. The gatekeepers did not know of Luca; even when he proclaimed his identity as Prince Luca Blight, they only snickered at him and brushed him off. With his messy hair and filthy clothing, Luca hardly resembled a Prince.

However, Luca maintained his composure. Thanks to his annual visits to this villa, he knew of the hidden passage in a certain spot on the high-reaching wall.

Luca went through the secret passage and snuck into the villa’s garden.

Although this was Luca’s first time taking in the sight of the garden in autumn, it felt different, almost depressing and lonely, without the profusely blooming flowers that always accompanied the summer season. Even the water fountain wasn’t running.

Hearing a seemingly clanking racket from the main wing, Luca turned his eyes to see his mother’s figure there.

She had become so emaciated that the hands and feet extending from her nightgown were thin as a rod. Strangely, only her stomach had grown larger. His mother’s beautiful hair was cut short, and probably because she wasn’t combing much with a brush, it had lost all manner of gloss. But without a doubt, that was definitely Luca’s mother. As his mother swayed back and forth on the rocking chair, she sang a lullaby while petting a doll.

In his unbridled exaltation, Luca’s chest began to hurt.

“Mother!”

Luca raced towards his mother at full speed.

However…

The moment he touched her hands, she let out a barbarous shriek and cringed by the bed. Then as if mumbling some kind of incantation, she started to pull on her hair.

“Mother, pull yourself together! It’s me, Luca!”

Luca could not understand what was going on. He wondered if she was just someone who merely resembled his mother. Believing that getting a good look at him would bring her back to her senses, he gently raised her checks with both hands. But her eyes no longer reflected the image of her son.

“Here look! These asters are your favorite!”

As he offered the bouquet to his mother, she quickly pushed it away.

Luca was devastated, his mother was afraid of him.

She was tugging on her hair so hard even parts of her skin came off. Blood flowed from her forehead. Luca tried to at least stop his mother from pulling her hair, but her fingers were clenched together too tightly. Luca hugged his crouched mother’s body with all his might. However, she only continued to waver her body and back forth mumbling some kind of chant. Luca no longer knew what to do.

At that moment, a voice called out to his mother. It appeared someone noticed a disturbance and was coming to check it out.

“Dear Sara, what’s wrong?”

The person calling out in such a playful voice was Mariel.

Luca was speechless. He never imagined his mother and Mariel would be together here.

Mariel’s grey hair had turned white, and her plump body had become so much thinner.

“Luca, why are you…?”

Mariel stood still at the sight of Luca.

“Mariel, I wanted to see you.”

Luca yearned to hug Mariel. Like old times, she’d then gently brush his head and praise him. Nevertheless, Mariel’s expression remained stiff this time.

“Why have you come here, Luca? Does your father know you’re here?”

Mariel spoke in a shaky voice.

“Father never would allow me to see mother, so I came here on my own.”

“Luca, you mustn’t be here,” said Mariel as she held up Luca’s mother and seated her back on the rocking chair.

“There’s nothing to worry about. Your mother will recover soon enough.”

As Mariel shook the chair, the strength in Sara’s tense body seemed to fade away.

“Anyway, what’s wrong with mother? Why has she become like that?”

“It all started from that assault. Dear Sara suffered a terrible shock.”

“You mean when she was ‘soiled’?”

Luca tried the word that he first heard from his father, but was always confused about, on Mariel.

Mariel hesitated for a second, then looked at Luca with determined eyes.

“Yes, that’s right. Sara was soiled by the men who attacked us that day. Sara’s life has turned to nothing ever since then. I can’t tell you how much hatred I’ve built up for them, I want to kill them."

Mariel’s face flushed dark red. Luca carved those words into his head.

“That’s right, those wretches; it’s ok to kill them, they’re better off dead.”

And thus, a clear, murderous intent was born in Luca’s mind. Mariel was so trapped in her own thoughts she didn’t concern herself with what Luca had just said.

“Sara’s heart has collapsed ever since then.”

“Collapsed? Can’t she recover? Surely, if we get her some medicine and call her a doctor—”

“There exists no medicine that cures the heart. And doctors would not be of any help.”

“Then mother’s going to be like this forever? Will she never hold me again?”

Tears flooded from Luca’s eyes. The infectious crying dampened Mariel’s eyes.

“No one knows if she will recover. She won’t even take her meal most of the time, which is why she’s become so weak. So please, Luca, just pretend we no longer exist and return to the castle.”

“No, I’m staying here too. Without mother and Mariel, I’ll be left all alone.”

Luca clung onto Mariel’s apron. But Mariel only pulled him apart.

“Luca, you are the Prince of Highland. You cannot stay here. Although I understand your loneliness, nevertheless you still have your father. Please, forget about us, and live well,” said Mariel as she looked at Luca earnestly.

“I won’t tell anyone that you were here, Luca; so before this commotion gets out of hand, please get back to the castle.”

Departing Luca with only these few words, Mariel helped his mother up and went off into the main room. Luca could do nothing but look at them. Even though the two people dearest to Luca were right there beside him, his feelings didn’t reach them. Luca’s loving mother was no longer around. Mariel’s most treasured and important person was no longer Luca. He used to think he was lonely because he couldn’t see them. But now completely destitute of their love and care, Luca felt a thousand times lonelier.

While walking down the streets of Kyaro, Luca cried. Those who caught sight of him weeping didn’t care. It was depressing.

By the time Luca stopped lamenting, he found himself standing in front of a deserted house in the outskirts of town. Luca decided to take a look inside. If there was no one inside, he planned on spending the night here.

When Luca heard voices from inside, he gave up and was about to go look for other places when he heard the words ‘Agares’ and ‘Highland,’ making him stop in his tracks. Luca went around to the side of the house; and surprisingly, there was his pony. The carriage from the day before was also there. The tree that the horse and pony were tied to was laden with pears.

“So this is where he lives.”

As if having found an emotional release for his pent-up feelings, Luca felt so much better. He would, without a doubt, feel even more refreshed if he could give the man from yesterday a good thrashing. Luca felt an infinitesimal flame light up in his chest.

“Just how long are we going to be staying cooped up in here?”

A man’s voice resonated from inside the house. It wasn’t the voice of the person from yesterday. A calmer voice followed. Luca couldn’t hear this one too well, so he put his ear by the wall.

“Darrel bettah not be tryin’ to trash us.” It was the man from yesterday this time.

“That’s impossible. If we leak out everything Darrel’s done, the entire world’s going to turn against him. If he handles it well, he’ll get off with only dismissal as mayor. Otherwise, he’ll be executed. I’m sure he’s most afraid of that happening.” The voice this time was much lower. There seemed to be at least four men in the room.

“Then why doesn’t he just send us a gate pass?” wondered the first man.

“Under Agares’ orders, until the assailants are caught, Highland’s borders are completely closed off. They’re supposedly even inspecting every postal item delivered.” This voice was from the man Luca couldn’t hear too well before. Somehow, he seemed to be the leader of the group.

Listening in on their conversation sent Luca’s heart racing. Calling his father directly by name, they couldn’t possibly have been Highland natives; nor were they mere miscreants. Perhaps they were the assailants themselves.

“But gosh, dat Agares is such a coward. After all dat’s happened to him, he still ain’t sendin’ out the troops,” snorted the man from yesterday.

“Yea, well, there goes our plan of escaping during the turmoil while they fight it out,” added a low voice.

“Aww, c’mon now, you guys all had a good time.” Their leader tried to change the subject.

“Well, that’s for sure. We’re talking about a Queen here after all. Her face and body were the absolute best, man. It’s already been half a year since then. I’m getting really tired of cramping up in here,” spoke the first man.

“Ahh, about dat Queen, word is dat she couldn’t stay in dah castle and is in dis town right now. She’s must be feelin’ really lonely sleepin’ alone, you know? We oughta go play wit her sometimes.” Everyone cheered in agreement with the man from yesterday.

“I bet y’all she’ll be welcoming us with open arms.”

They all suddenly laughed at the first man’s quip. Unable to take in their vulgar laughs, Luca covered his ears. He finally understood the meaning of ‘soiled’. His mother was touched by their disgusting, filthy hands. They stained Luca’s beautiful mother.

Luca could feel the boiling blood in his entire body flow in reverse. In his turbulent rage, the blood vessels connected to Luca’s eyes came apart, causing him to see only red. With his whole body convulsing violently, breathing became difficult. The rumbling flame in his chest wildly flared up.

“I’m gonna…kill…you… KILL YOU! DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE, DIE!”

While muttering the curse, Luca headed back to the front of the house and gripping the door knob firmly, opened it with all his might.

“What the, who the hell?”

Upon entering, the dining room straight ahead housed all four men. Since they were all drunk, their faces were bright red. The men all stood up together at the same instant; but they sat down as their fears were relieved upon seeing that Luca was but a mere child.

“Well, here we were, wondering who it could possibly be, and in comes barging the lil’ runt from yesterday. Sup kiddo, ya here to take back yo’ pony?”

The man from yesterday spoke with a chuckle. Luca ignored him and approached the men.

As his dagger landed on the neck of the man sitting in front, Luca twisted it sideways. Immediately after the dreadful sensation, blood gushed forth like a water fountain. The man bellowed out the same peculiar sound he always made whenever his throat was tangled with phlegm.

His squirting blood painted the walls and ceilings, and even the faces of the remaining men, deep red. Taking advantage of their horrified state, Luca quickly picked up the long sword from the ground that the now dead man just dropped. This was Luca’s prime weapon of choice.

Luca got into position and charged at the men.

It was too easy, perhaps because they were drunk; yet, they were all so fragile. Handling the sword was easy since he focused entirely on attacking, paying no heed to his own defenses. Up until now, Luca had only crossed swords with his master, so he had no idea typical humans were such weaklings. Nor was he aware of the tremendous power he possessed.

For some reason, seeing their dead bodies roused unusual feelings of excitement and pleasure in Luca. Just the thought that their life and death depended solely on his mood made him feel omnipotent. Humans, insects, animals—they were all the same. With power, they could all be killed. There was no longer anything to be afraid of.

Before he realized it, Luca went into that same daze that befell him whenever he slaughtered animals. Luca returned to his senses to find himself, covered in blood, sitting on the floor, trying to pull apart the arms and legs of one of the corpses. This one was really plump, cutting through his fat proved to be quite a task. There now remained only one man standing.

“I-I’m sorry. You can have yo’ pony back. Just don’t kill me, please.”

The now teary-eyed man from yesterday looked at Luca, from a kneeling position. He was trying to escape by inching away on his guts; Luca could clearly see the tracks the man was making on the floor. Still clinging to life after tumbling to such a rueful state was pathetic.

Since Luca felt like it, he pierced through the man’s chest.

While the morning light still shone, Luca left the house covered in blood.

He thought Mariel might be happy to see their heads; but as she had instructed him, Luca decided to return to the castle. Facing the Tenzan Pass, Luca paced straight ahead. His small steps soon broke into a run, then into a full sprint.

Having gotten as far as the forest, Luca stumbled upon the root of a large tree. With his face buried in the ground, some dirt got into his mouth. Forgetting to bring his pony along and merely running around wildly, Luca could not help but want to laugh. But what came out instead were tears. Realizing this, he raised his voice and cried. With nothing to fear anymore, why did he cry? Even Luca could not fathom his own emotions.

But there were two things Luca now clearly understood. One being that he had completely changed. The flame in his heart would never again die out. And no matter what it is he would see in the future, everything would appear differently. After all, he was now a ‘murderer’. And he liked that.

Unexpectedly waking up, Luca found the sky burning red, entrenched in a crimson flame. He had fallen asleep earlier and woke up at dusk.

Feeling thirsty, Luca kneeled by a nearby puddle of water and guzzled it all down. It was the same puddle of water he felt too unclean to drink the day before.

Thinking back, Luca could see a purple haze at the ends of his eyes. This was where Luca picked asters as a souvenir for his mother yesterday.

Luca stood up and headed towards the cluster of asters; illuminated by the setting sun, they were as beautiful as ever. Luca drew his blood-smeared dagger and cut down the flowers. With a dry swishing sound, the flowers fell to the ground. More flowers fell as he swung his arm again. Luca screamed aloud as he proceeded to obliterate the flowers and trample over them with his foot.

Standing alone in these devastated wastelands, Luca screamed out fiercely at the top of his lungs.

“Prince Luca.”

Luca turned around to see a soldier kneeling in front of him. With a terrified expression, seeing Luca’s blade dripping with blood, he dared not look up. The surroundings were getting dark, the hill that Luca stained red were becoming accustomed to the red color of the setting sun.

The humans that were in front of him had stopped breathing. It seems like Luca swung his sword around while caught up in past memories. He committed a regrettable act.

Luca now understood the full situation. The ones who attacked them that day were hired by Darrel. Full-scale war didn’t break out between Highland and the Jowston City-States because there was no concrete proof. But just as Darrell had hoped for, it was as if the cease-fire agreement had never happened. The incident caused Luca’s mother to go pregnant. As a proud woman, she went mad amidst the humiliation, and gave birth to Jillia before dying. His mother’s wet nurse also sacrificed herself for that.

“Umm, we’ve received a message from Lord Gorudo of the Matilda Knights.”

Luca visualized Gorudo’s tubby, sly face. He resembled Darrel. It was a great pity that Darrel died before Luca had the chance to slay him. However, Luca could perform even more interesting feats by manipulating Gorudo. Furthermore, that man was still in the royal capital. The pathetic coward who abandoned Luca and his mother. For the next 17 years, not a single day passed without Luca plotting to bring about his end. And that day was not too far off.

“I’m going now.”

Luca fluttered his cape, and descended the Jowston Hill.