Suikoden II - Harvest Moon RPG

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Apple

Suikoden II - Harvest Moon RPG

Post by Apple »

Hello, I am quite new to this section of the site.

As many of you notice many 'big' game ideas come and go and many people don't have the means to finishing them. But, I do and I'll finish it no matter how long it takes or if I receive any help or not. Now, on to my game idea.

Have any of you played Harvest Moon? Well, it's basically a farming game (Farming for the main character will NOT be used) where you can court and marry a character in the game of your choosing. Days and time goes by (Not RL time) and you can basically run around and do whatever. I want to create this system using Suikoden characters and places.

What this game will have

[*] Marriageable characters (Boy and girl, hopefully) - Farther down this list I will state which characters I would like to use or am thinking about using.

[*] A warring neighbor - This warring neighbor will eventually start a war with your town, depending on the friends you make inside of the town will determine how many fighters (recruits) you receive. Say you befriend Kinnison and Shiro, Nanami, Millie, and Pesmerga. That is 5 characters you get 500 recruits. Make sense?

[*] An awesome location - I am debating whether or not to staple this town somewhere like Ryube (Before it is set on fire) or somewhere larger like Gregminister or Greenhill.
The advantages of Ryube is if you lose the war then you could continue playing because there is the ruined Ryube tilesets that I can use. Maybe you guys can give me some of your opinions on where it could be placed.

[*] Friendship and heart levels - Heart levels for the marriageable characters and friendship levels for the characters the you would like to recruit. Your friends can help you do anything, you will receive different dialogues with your friends and potential mates and they will even attend your wedding.

I am going to try to keep a lot of Suikoden II's elements, and I want at least two visitable towns so the world map (A small version) can be used.

Things I am going to need help on:

- Deciding who to play as the main character: Would you guys like to see Riou and Nanami be the main characters you can play, or other two? Or would you prefer to ONLY be one playable character such as Riou, or Jowy?

- Deciding which characters to place in the game: I have a lot of the marriageable characters in mind and even some characters you cannot marry. Some of the definite characters that I would like to be in the game (Opinions may be needed if you do not like the characters chosen) are

If they have a * then they are a potential marriage candidate

Kinnison* and Shiro - The timid ones
Millie* - The ditzy girl
Yuzu, Pilika, and Ellie - The little ones
Tony - The Farmer
Yam Koo*, and Shilo - The gamblers
Futch*, Humphery, and Bright
Karen*
Kasumi*
Eilie*
Sheena* - The player
Jude - The blacksmith
Klaus*, Shu, and Apple - The strategists
Lorelai* - The Fighter
Luc* - The stubborn magician
Riou (Possibly) - The guy everyone loves
Nanami (Possibly) - The caring sister
Jowy (Possibly) - The family friend
Jeane - The Rune-maiden
Pico* - The guitarist
Flik* - The sweetheart
Viktor - The guy who's always looking for a fight
Leona - Bar-maiden
Huan - Doctor
Hilda and Alex - Innkeepers
Hai Yo - Chef
Sierra* - The vampire
Annalee* - The Singer at the Bar
Tai Ho* - Yam Koo's brother
Killey
Anita
Valeria
McDohl

Anyone you'd like to see taken off the list? Anyone you'd like to see added? Just ask.

Characters in the Warring nation (None can be married)

Gorudo
Elza
Culgan
Seed
Luca Blight
Yuber
(Even though some of these characters died in the game, that doesn't matter we needz some enemies)

To Be Edited with updates
Last edited by Apple on Sat May 28, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden II - Harvest Moon RPG

Post by Antimatzist »

You dont want to replay Suikoden IIs story, right?

So basically you want to create a Suikoden II dating game with some kind of battle system? Can you explain on the battle part a bit more?
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

it's an interesting idea and suikoden provides a great environment to create your game in. i have a few questions, ideas, and suggestions.

-what program(s) are you using to make the game?

-is this loosely revolved around a certain time period in the suikoden world or is it an entirely new story?
-if it's somewhat related to suikoden i would recommend chars like riou,jowy,nanami being recruitable not the main chars. that way their stories will stay intact to some extent. you could pick a character like tai ho or sheena and revolve the story around them.
-if it's not related to the actual events of the suikoden world then use whichever chars you like best as the main ones. riou and nanami would work fine and actually be kind of fun because of the sibling relationship (if the main char is riou, then nanami has an opinion on who you marry, etc.)

-can you share with us a little about how this type of game plays out? i've seen some harvest moon play before but am a little unaware about what you do other than get married and farm. when does the game end, etc?

-aside from ideas for what characters to be in the game, let us know what you need. the more suikoden fan work the better. especially if it's impressive. it's a good way to let konami know we're still here, and a good way for all of us to enjoy the series until resurrection.

as for characters i would like to see in it....killey, tai ho, tir, valeria, anita
Apple

Post by Apple »

For programs, I am most familiar with RPG Maker VX and XP, however if you know of a better program please let me know.

Now, I was considering not have this based after an event in the Suikoden world, I think it may be best if it's placed directly after the Dunan-Unification War. However my knowledge of Suikoden directly and only pertains to Suikoden II so if anyone has suggestions of certain events after that it is definitely open for discussion.

I do think the playable Characters should be Riou and Nanami (Because they are siblings) and allow them to get married.

Most Harvest Moon games do not end, however this one will. It may end after the war between the neighboring villages or it may end later, but it will have an end. Other than get married and farm there are festivals and contests, mini-games, little plots and overall fun things to do IMO. Fishing, Mining, Cooking and exploring are some of them, however I will add some more to make the game interesting. I am also planning on implementing most of the mini-game presented in Suikoden II.

And those characters can most definitely be implemented. The more the better, however I cannot add all 108. (Is a BIG fan of Tai Ho)

Is there any pairings anyone would like to see? Harvest Moon has the rival marriages feature where whomever you don't choose to be your husband/wife gets married off to someone else.

And is there any family you would like to see besides Riou and Nanami still being brother and sister? I very well can't have Yuzu running the streets with no family. XD

For the battle part (Which is going to be tricky) there are going to be two different types, one easier than the other. Random battles and the War. Both will be about the same played in Suikoden, however since you cannot 'recruit' characters you can have any character that can battle on your team if they have one heart or more. In order to place them in your party, simply go to the inn - that will also be the area where you can view the heart levels. It will still be a maximum of 6 party members and you can still level up and the sort.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

i don't know a ton about rpg maker but from when i've used it in the past and what i've heard from other people...it seems like it's really easy to use to get things started and looking good, but it has a lot of limitations (or gets more complicated?) when you try to do non cookie cutter things with your game.
Apple

Post by Apple »

Yes, it does have a lot of limitations, however it has a HUGE base and things are being created (Things as in scripts) daily all it requires is a little digging and some background knowledge. Yes though, it is kind of complicated for a new user.
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

Sierra and Klaus ^.^

Ellie and Hero 2 8)

Flik and Nina :lol:

Luc and Viki :shock:

ok i dont care about the others but the first one would be the koolest! nash would be better but he doesnt have a 2d model.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
Apple

Post by Apple »

The more I think about it the more I think I should make the main playable characters ones that aren't in Suikoden and made up because I know there are a lot of people who would like to try and woo Riou or Nanami or would like to see them paired with a certain character. ^-^

I will be making these sprites myself and I will upload them here as soon as they are finished. However if anyone has any ideas for this game please let me know and I will try my best to add them (Is a one woman team for now)

Here is the main sprite for the girl. I'm going to make another one however so I can decided whether or not to have her wear pants or a dress. (I tried keeping her to the Suikoden style)

ImageImage
TenkaiStar108

Post by TenkaiStar108 »

I think dating sim games are fun :D I see McDohl is on there <333 (No matter what, him and Kasumi are my OTP <3) This sounds interesting!
alif_najmi91

Post by alif_najmi91 »

are you still making it or is it dead?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Apple wrote:Marriageable characters (Boy and girl, hopefully)
Why is boy and girl "hopefully?"