Suikoden Fantasy Chapter 1

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
tovath

Suikoden Fantasy Chapter 1

Post by tovath »

Here is chapter one of my story. The prologue is herehttp://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 68&t=12142

Ch1 The First Day of A New World

o Celes o

There were two people at a rude camp set up among the trees. They both had blonde hair, it being one of the most common hair colors in their world. The man, Sabin, was doing a basic martial arts kata. The woman, Celes blinked and shook her head as she woke up. She wasn't sure if that had been a dream or not; actually the more she thought about the dream the less it seemed like a dream, but whatever it was she was awake now.

“Something weird happened last night.” said Sabin, “The whole world world seemed to waver like a heat mirage.”

“Why didn't you wake me?”

“I tried, you wouldn't wake up. I was getting worried.”

Celes was normally a light sleeper; she would wake up at the slightest sound. The fact that she hadn't woken up with Sabin pounding on her was proof that the whatever was not just a dream. “Last night our world combined with another. I got a, a vision of that last night.” Or my mind is overstressed. She would have plenty of reasons for this to be so. “I need a few minutes to think.”

Celes thought better when she moved around, so she started her sword drill. As Celes went though the precise movements of her drill, her thoughts kept returning to her dream. Another world being combined with theirs could be bad. Kefka being sealed up was good but him being dead would have been better. The part about the Twenty-seven True Runes and the Warring Triad's explosion didn't sound like anything but trouble, in her opinion trouble was too mild a word to describe anything to do with magic. If that dream had been anything more than ramblings of her overstressed mind then she knew that with her 'gift' of magic she was going to end up in the middle of what ever trouble was going to happen.

Her sword drill complete, she sheathed her sword and scanned the perimeter of their rude campsite. She soon noticed a blackberry bush that hadn't been there before. It must be from the other world, she thought, maybe things wouldn't be all bad if the world is alive again.

The blackberries were a welcome addition to breakfast. Neither of them had eaten fresh fruit in the past year. Ever since they failed to stop Kefka from gaining control of the Warring Triad, plants had not been growing right. Actually there was not much of anything else for breakfast. Some meat would have been nice, but there weren't any game animals to be found anymore, probably all eaten by the monsters roaming the land. She tried not to think about what they were going to do for lunch or diner. Food was one thing they were running low on. The last village had been Tzen; There was hardly enough food for the villagers to survive the winter. The two of them had felt guilty about taking what they had. While eating Celes explained about her vision, about how the worlds had combined and Kefka had been sealed up due to the heroism of Chris Lightfellow and the mages of Alma Kinan.

“I wonder how everyone else is taking this?” said Sabin when she finished. The unsaid 'are they still alive?' hung in the air for a moment.
“If they can survive the world being destroyed then they will survive this.” That still meant that everyone had to survive not only the fall from the airship but also the continents being torn apart and all the other stuff that happened. She wasn't even sure how she survived that, but she knew that Terra had... Wait how do I know that? “We'll find them. Any ideas of where to look for the others?”

“Celes I have been chasing after rumors for the past year, trying to find anyone else and then I just ran into you by accident.”

An accident that had involved him holding the whole weight of a collapsing house while she rushed in to save a kid.

o Terra o

All of Terra's nightmares had Kefka in them, but this one had been different. Kefka had been sealed up where he couldn't hurt anyone anymore. She hoped that it was not just a dream, despite the fact that it meant those people had been killed. She got out of bed and went into the main room of the underground home of Molbiz's survivors.

Terra was the oldest one here. She thought that she was about nineteen, but she wasn't sure. There were still so many holes in her memory that even a fact like that was unsure. She was fairly sure that she didn't want to remember any of those missing years, but memories often came creeping back in her dreams. The dream last night hadn't been one of those though, thought Terra as she ran her hands though her green hair.

“Mama, Mama,” Terra looked up afraid something was wrong, but no, Caspin looked happy and excited, not scared. It felt odd hearing all the kids call her mama, but it was a good kind of odd.

“What is it?” she asked as he caught his breath. He must have ran the whole way. What would make him do that?

“Mama, there's green plants outside.”

“Really,” if this was truly a new world then maybe... “Let's go see.”

They walked up and out of their underground home with some of the others following. Outside a light breeze was blowing and sure enough there were patches of green grass intermixed with the dieing brown and yellow grass everyone had gotten used to over the past year.

“Does this mean Kefka is gone?” asked Duane in a tone of wonder.

“He was sealed up.” said Terra without thinking.

“How?” asked Daune

“I saw it in a dream.” Terra didn't have a chance to explain more.

The moment of wonder was broken by a body falling out of the sky. Everyone stumbled back surprised, several of the more timid kids ran back inside. Terra was the first one to react in a useful way. She knelt down next to the person to see what she could do. When she did so she realized she recognized the woman from her dream. She was the one who had fought Kefka. Her name was Chris Lightfellow and she was still alive, but badly wounded.

“Quick, Kev, go get the medical kit.” Terra stood up “Duane can you carry her back? She is one of the people who helped seal Kefka.”

Duane carefully did so that Chris wouldn't get hurt any worse then she already was. When they got back, Kev had gotten the medical supplies, such as they were out. They and the little bit of magic she could still use would have to suffice.

Fortunately for the most part the wounds Chris had were shallow cuts. All that was needed was to make sure to get all of the cloth fibers out of the wounds before using Cure on them, only a few of them even left a scar. Chris' left arm, however, was another story. Terra knew that there should be shards of stone in Chris' arm, but she couldn't find any. Since that Statue had actually been one of the Warring Triad this was even more worrying then trying to pick small pieces of stone out of someone's arm would have been. Somehow Terra didn't think that having the source of a world's magic shatter and disappear into ones arm was good for one's overall health... but she had no idea of what to do about something like that. After a moment of hesitation, she tried to use Cure on the wounds of that arm. The only effect the spell had was the grimace of pain that passed across Chris' face. This is worrying, thought Terra as she wrapped bandages around that arm and went to go get some rest herself. She had healed up worse before, but not recently. After she was done resting she was going to scout around out side. Terra doubted that the only change that had occurred when their world combined with another was some green plants, as good as it was to see them. Maybe she could find some way to solve the problems plaguing them.

o Sasarai o

The moment Sasarai woke up from his dream the True Earth Rune started talking to him. This was highly usually since the sentience of the True Runes was so different from that of a humans. One could not truly interact with one of them, let alone carry on a conversation, yet still this imposable thing was happening.

Hello, I am Unicorn said the voice

I am still asleep, thought Sasarai, that must be it.

Um, is that one of those butterfly things? Said the voice

What could the voice mean by that? The part of dreams one doesn't understand are suppose to be more profound then this. Thought Sasarai

You know, once a man dreamed he was a butterfly and when he woke up he wondered if he was a man dreaming he was a butterfly just then or if he was a butterfly who was dreaming he was a man.

Sasarai took a minute to gather his thoughts. That did seem to be an apt comparison for how he felt right now, especially considering that he had just had a dream in which there was a battle between The True Runes and something named Kefka.

Someone, said the voice, he had said his name was Unicorn hadn't he, Kefka is or at least was at one point a human. A very nasty human. It would take too long to list off everything he did.

So you fought him. thought Sasarai

Well, Maduin was the first one to jump into the battle and try to take control of one of the Elemental Runes after Kefka undid their sentience. Maduin had a pressing reason to do so.

That gave more questions than answers, thought Sasarai, like how was Kefka able to do that to the True Runes, what Unicorn had been before and what Maduin's pressing reason was.

“Maduin's reason was simple... his daughter and Kefka had used up all of the power he had stolen from the Waring Triad.”

“How did you know what I was thinking?” Sasarai didn't realize that her had spoken out loud until he heard his own voice.

The voic- Unicorn sounded confused “You mean you weren't asking me-”

One of his soldiers came in to Sasarai quarters, “Holiness I was asked to rouse you. We found one of your agents near the camp badly wounded and... and the landscape seems different.”

Which means I should give a speech before morale gets too low, Sasarai thought. He didn't have any idea what to say for that.

“You could -” began Unicorn

This was going to get annoying quickly.

“Sorry” said the Esper

Oops, no I am sorry. It is not your fault you are here thought Sasarai. He saw the expression on the soldiers face, and quickly asked if Nash was the one they had found.

The look of surprise on the soldier's face told him he had been right, even before the man opened his mouth to say “Yes, Holiness.”

“Tell Dios I will be out soon.”

“Yes Holiness” the soldier bowed and left.

As Sasarai dressed in his priestly robes he talked with Unicorn.

We need to figure out a way to do this properly, Sasarai thought to Unicorn but I don't have time right now, so if you would keep quiet until this evening unless it is important.

“I will try.” Unicorn thought back.

Sasarai walked outside and looked around, the mountains seemed to be – and probably actually were- closer and there were pieces of land in that direction, in which the plants were dying. Dios was waiting nearby the tent flap like he normally was. It was nice to have one thing that was normal.

“We have to hope that boy who said he was the Flame Champion really does have the True Fire Rune. It is important the Grasslanders know what is going on and that this is not something we did.” said Sasarai.

“Yes sir,” replied Dios, “What is going on, sir?”

“I will give a speech explaining everything after we see Nash.”

“Nash is unconscious sir. I don't think he would care if you waited a little longer, but you need to tell the men something soon.”

“Alright, gather the men up and I will speak with them.”

It only took Dios a few minutes to do so. Sasarai faced his troops.

“Men, I am sure you are wondering what is going on right now. Anyone would be. Here is what happened as was revealed to me by my Rune. A demon from another world tried to combine the world he had already destroyed with this world so he could destroy it as well, but the True Runes would not let him.” He didn't say anything about how the Runes had changed because of this. It would not help his men to know this. “Now, this will cause some problems, but we will be strong and overcome them.”

This got a big cheer from the men. After the speech was over Sasarai bade Dios to see about sending some scouts to check if the pass to Caleria was still...there.

o Terra o

The sun was high in the sky when Terra left to scout. There were any number of things that were needed, the most important being food. Now that plants could grow once more maybe they would be able to do some farming, although, and Terra might be wrong but, late fall didn't seem like the best time to plant. It had been ocean over this way before, so hopefully now she could find a town or something from the other world out here now. It was just a hunch Maybe she thought so because she really hoped it were true, but Terra thought there should be something from the other world around here somewhere. She had no idea what she was going to do to get the things they needed if she did find a town, but she would figure that out when she got there.

Screams rang out, helpless screams and Terra ran towards them. A small village was being attacked by several Buffalax. Terra wasn't sure how much help she would be. Her fighting power had deserted her months ago, but she wasn't going to just stand here. She drew the sword that she had worn, even after she had realized her fighting power was gone, and headed into battle. She was able to distract one of them from a young woman, but then another leapt at her. Without thinking she hit the Buffalax with Fire. This was a greater surprise to her then it was to the now dead monster; She had not been able to use any magic, bar a simple healing spell, for most of a year.

o Sasarai o

“The scouts just returned, sir.” said Dios, “They report not even being able to find where the pass was suppose to be.”

“So we are cut off.” said Sasarai he had been half expecting that to be the case and had already decided that getting his men back to Harmonia was a higher priority than the orders he had been given before this happened. He would have followed his orders to the letter if it wasn't for this..
“It would appear so, sir.”

“We will retreat and see if we can find an alternate way back, but first I should meet with the Grasslanders.”

Dios looked worried, “Is that wise?”

“Not being attacked because of someone thinking we are about to attack when we only want to leave is good.” Sasarai hesitated for a moment but he knew Dios could be trusted, “Also there is a part of this mess I didn't mention, some of the True Runes have changed. Mine has gotten more talkative. I am hoping their Flame Champion will have more information about this.”

“We don't know if that boy actually bears the True Fire Rune.”

“True and even if he does he is likely just as confused as I am, but what if he does. The problem is how to bring this up.”

I'll do the asking, if you want

That could work but can you be subtle about asking. thought Sasarai to Unicorn.

“Sir, are you...?”

“Sorry, it seems that problem has been taken care of. Can you see to setting up the meeting..”

“Yes sir. I hope it will help you.” As Dios left Sasarai thought I hope so too.

The truce meeting was set up much more quickly the Sasarai had thought possible, perhaps the Grasslanders wanted to see what he knew about the change. Just as he wanted to know what this Hugo knew.

Hugo was not to be seen at the meeting. Lucia, the Karayan Clan Chief, that was there. Sasarai had met her briefly fifteen years ago. She had her whip coiled by her side within easy reach. Sasarai tried not to take offense at this for the Karayan clan was known to be one of the most warlike of the Six Clans of the Grasslands. Odd though that it would be Lucia here being that they were right outside the Chisha Clan village. This could mean many things, but Sasarai was not able to think about these possibilities because of Unicorn.

Maduin do you have any ideas about how to deal with all this? There was a pause then, No I didn't know that.

That is his idea of being subtle thought Sasarai to himself.

What, I didn't say that my bearer is really confused and wants some support. Thought Unicorn back

Thank the One Hero for that at least. thought Sasarai, Better make the best of this. What did he say?

Essentially that our bearers will hear our side of the conversation and that this fact caused them some trouble.

Lucia cut into his thoughts, “So why did you call for this meeting, Bishop?”

“In short I would like to have your assurance that you won't attack my army if we left today.” That was considerably shorter then what he had originally going to say.

“You are the one who attacked so we have no problem with you leaving. Now let us get to the real point that you called this truce meeting. You want to know more about what happened to your True Rune and you hoped that since the Flame Champion had the True Fire Rune he could tell you something.”

Sasarai was taken aback by how bluntly the whole thing was put, but one can't expect Grasslander barbarians to have much idea of elegance in speech. “The thought might have occurred to me.”

“One question before you speak with Hugo and Jimba , have you had anyone appear near your camp badly torn up?”

If she was going to be so blunt then so would he, “Why?”

“Because we have and if it wasn't for the dream both Hugo and Jimba had we would have thought you Harmonians did it.”

Or would she have thought it was part of the Zexan armed forces that did so. “Then, yes one of my men. I must admit that I would have thought the same thing.”

For a moment it looked like she was going to say more about the subject but she just turned and called the person, or rather people, that Sasarai wanted to actually talk to over and said she would leave them alone.

“I think the first thing we need to do is hear as much of the story as possible. Since Maduin can't speak for himself why don't I tell his part first then hopefully we can figure out what to do from there.” Jimba, or should he call him Wyatt, said since there were no disagreements he started.

“It was like one of those blankets that Madaline used to like to weave. There were big tears, rends and knots in it. Kefka had created several of these rends when tore out the ego, or maybe the word should be sentience, of the Elemental Runes. These tears were threatening the whole piece. I thought that maybe if I used myself to fix one of the tears before it got worse and started affecting my daughter. I guess the others followed what I did.”

They talked about what this meant for a while, and about how they seemed to know the names of people they had never met. There was something connected to that for Jimba and Hugo. It was not until after he left that Sasarai figured out what it must be. The magic, or whatever that had given them the names had given all of the names that a person had carried. Jimba was Wyatt Lightfellow, which meant he was related to Chris Lightfellow who was the Captain of the Zaxen Knights.

o Celes o

Some lizards had attacked Celes and Sabin. They were stupid. Celes spun to kill one of the monsters but had to pull her strike at the last second. Some over-dressed fool decided to dart in and poke the lizard in the nose with a rapier. A very stupid thing to do. It doesn't hurt them and leaves you open for... Celes pushed the idiot girl out of the way of the break fluid the lizard spat while she thew an Ice spell at it. After all, the idiot didn't have a jewel ring to protect her from Break's effects.

Two seconds later Celes discovered that might not have been the smartest idea. The jewel ring wasn't working as effectively as it should have been. Her arm was slowly turning to stone.

“shoot, Sabin, Soft potion.”

Sabin broke the back of the last lizard and ran over. He poured a Soft on Celes' arm and it returned to normal. Celes breathed a sigh of relief, then turned to the idiot girl who had almost gotten her petrified.

“Idiot! what were you doing? Did you actually think you would hurt that lizard with an oversized knitting needle! Do you-”

“Hey introductions first, arguing later, all right.” said Sabin. Damn it he was right thought Celes taking your fear out on someone else was not right, even if she was a moron.

There were two men with the idiot who practically screamed attendant. One of them spoke up now. “Thank you. I am Reed and this is Samus. We are bodyguards of Lily Pendragon.” Celes figured Lily was the name of the overdressed idiot she had saved.

“I am Sabin Figaro and this is Celes Cher,” Celes noted he was using the short form of his last name, “We are travelers and noticed the land changed. We were wondering if you -”

Lilly interrupted Sabin before he could get any further “I wouldn't mind hiring some mercenaries.”

We are not mercenaries.” said Celes with a good bit of anger in her voice. Fighting might be all she knew but she had never fought just for money. She saw that Sabin was smiling about something. After a moment she figured out why what I had said sounded a good bit like Locke saying he was not a thief, doesn't it. Gods she missed that man and was so hoping he was still alive. The only proof she had that he was alive was a bandana she had found wrapped around a bird. She wasn't sure if traveling with Lilly would make things more or less dangerous, but it might be a good idea. “However, it would be smart to travel together to the next town at least.”

o Terra o

Terra cleaned her sword. She supposed someone must have taught her to do that at some point, but she couldn't remember who. The end result of the fight had been three Buffalax dead, two fled and three townspeople wounded. She sheathed her sword and went went to help the wounded. They already had seen she knew magic so it would not cause any more problems to use Cure by now.

Two of the wounded weren't hurt badly enough to need magical healing. One man though had been gored in the side. He hadn't lost to much blood yet, nor was the wound infected or poisoned so it was easy enough to use Cure on him. As she finished a man from the village came up to her.

“What Rune are you using to do that?” he asked. He looked like he was one of their leaders.

What was he talking about? Runes? What were they? Terra realized that this was another world now and she had no idea what these peoples views on magic were. Was he going to...

Obviously some of her thoughts had shown of her face, “Don't worry, I won't hurt you. I just wanted to thank you and ask if you knew anything about either why the landscape has changed or what these monsters that attacked us are. I'm Aran, by the way ”

“I'm Terra and yes I do know a bit about what is going on. It will take a while to explain though and I can't stay long.” As she got up she stumbled a little bit and the man caught her.

“Are you alright, lady?”

“Just a bit tired.” said Terra trying to pretend she was fine.

“And hungry I reckon. Being it's about midday now.”

“Some food would be nice, but I have to see that Molbiz has food first. The kids need food more then I do.”

“Wearing yourself out and not eating is not going to help anything.” He said, “Now how about this: you have something to eat now and then tell me what you know about all of this. We will pack up some food and other supplies for you to take back with you to Molbiz.”

They walked over to one of the few buildings that didn't look like a house.

“It's a good thing the monsters didn't get this far. We have a pot going here and everyone eats together during the harvest.” Aran said as he opened the door. Inside was a big oven and the place was full of delicious aromas. A woman came forward to greet them.

“This is my wife, Erin” Aran said as she came over.

“What was all the noise outside?” asked Erin.

“Monsters, they're all gone now. Everyone is fine.”

He handed Terra an apple when they sat down, which she polished off quickly.

“I take it you like apples.” said Aran

“Haven't had much to eat recently,” Terra shrugged, “anyway could I bring some home.”

“What, apples?”

“Other food too, please.” said Terra.

“Of course” said the Aran smiling. He motioned to Erin. “Can you get our hero some food?”

Terra wasn't sure what to think about being called a hero, but she put that thought away after seeing the bowl of a good smelling stew and fresh baked bread with butter. She started eating right away.

“I need your help getting together some food and other supplies for that young woman and a few others.” said Aran

“I'll do that. Poor dear, you can come by my house to get some new clothes. Yours are pretty worn out and there are a number of big tears in your shirt.” said Erin looking over Terra critically.

“She got the tears from fighting off those monsters I was talking about. I doubt you should call someone that can kill monsters like that a poor dear. She might get offended.”

“No, I won't.” said Terra after swallowing the bread she was chewing. Why would anyone get offended by something like that? Putting the thought from her mind, She tucked into the hearty meal before her. While she was eating Erin left.

Terra put down her spoon with some difficultly after her second bowl of stew at some point Erin had left without Terra noticing. “You wanted some information?”

“Yes what were those monsters and why are they here?”

“Ok first those monsters are called Buffalax and the reason they are here. … “ Terra told him what she knew about the worlds combining holding back that she had fought with Kefka before herself.

Terra was finishing explaining when Erin came back. “I have seen about getting some food together for you. My husband can finish with that while we go get some clothes and other supplies.”

When they reached Erin's house she said “Aran said there were some kids. I have some old clothes that my son Thomas has outgrown and here is some good soap that Layon made. Now where is a good bag to put this stuff in?”

Terra was completely out of her depth by now and had no idea what to do. She wished that one of her friends was here, but she didn't even know if any of them were still alive, wait she did know Celes was somehow.

“Here try this one on.” Erin's voice interrupted Terra's thoughts and she took the shirt Erin handed her, “Go on take off your shirt and try that one on.”

Terra did so and Erin looked at the scars on Terra's chest. Terra winced, next she was going to ask where Terra got those scars and she couldn't remember where she had got most of them and the few she could remember she didn't want to talk about. No one should have to hear about something like that. She put on the shirt she has been given and before Erin could ask anything she left to go see if they had finished packing up her supplies.

They had. “Thank you for doing this.”

“No, thank you for saving the village.” He motioned to the surplices, “This is nothing, we had a good harvest this year. Will you need any help getting all of this back?” He Then smiled warmly to Terra, “You are welcome to stay here if you want.”

“No, I have to go.”

o Celes o

The next town was a well built stone fortress that would be able to hold off a large army if properly manned and lead. Fortunately the Gates had not yet been closed for the night.. Inside the roofs of the buildings didn't look burned or otherwise damaged and the people were cheerful and full of life.

“This is Brass Castle,” said Lily, “Maybe Chris will be here.”

“Chris?” Celes had heard that name before but not from any person.

“Yes Chris Lightfellow, she is a friend of mine.” Lily said throwing back her hair in a calculated gesture.

Remembering her dream, no vision, Celes said, “She won't be here.”

“What do you know”. Said Lily, “Samus go tell Chris I am here and ask if she would like to see me. Reed go see about rooms for us at the Inn. I will be dining at Telhan tonight.” She turned back to Celes, her nose wrinkling. “We are going to a bathhouse, you stink and are not fit to be seen with someone like me.”

Celes could think of any number of things to say to that but she didn't because Lily was right; She did need a bath, badly. They were a bit hard to find when wondering monster-infested wildness.

However any feeling of gratitude Celes might have felt were driven out of her head when they reached the bath house and she found out about a little custom of this other world.

“Wait what, communal bathing” asked Celes

“Where did you come from that you don't know that? Really where are you from?” asked Lily

“Nowhere, let's get this over with.” Man if she didn't need a wash so badly then she would have forgone the whole thing.

Fortunately the baths were empty of other people at this time so Celes didn't have to deal with anyone other then Lily who was complaining about how this wasn't a very good bath house. Lily might be complaining a lot, but she was very causal about disrobing around a complete stranger, or so it seemed to Celes. Even worse was the fact that she didn't seem to understand why Celes was reluctant to do the same. Since one can't take a bath with one's clothes on Celes did reluctantly disrobe.

Before Lily asked the question Celes was sure she wanted to ask Celes said “They thought that flogging was a good punishment for Imperial Officer Cadets,” in a tone that bespoke of pain if she was asked anymore. The bath was very awkward after that, not that it wouldn't have been anyway. It was also a quick bath, no soaking like it seemed one was suppose to do here. Celes didn't feel safe again until she was out of the bath, clothed and had her sword back by her side.

Celes didn't understand why Lily took them with her to dinner at the Telhan, but she was not going to complain about that since she would like to eat and had found out they did not use gil here, but some currency called potch. Soon after they got their food Samus showed up with the news that Chris was not at Brass Castle, just like Celes had said.

“All right, how did you know that Chris wouldn't be around.” asked Lily after a moment.

Might as well tell the truth, thought Celes, who knows she might even believe it “I had a vision of her fighting Kefka when the worlds combined. Since this place isn't the one in my vision, I knew she wouldn't be here.”

“A vision, so you have visions now.” Lily's high pitched voice was attracting a good bit of attention by now.

In fact two men in particular looked interested in them. One had swept back hair and a lean muscular build. The other was massive, he might even have been more muscular than Sabin. They both moved like fighters. Sabin had noticed them too so they decided it was time to leave before any trouble started. The men followed them out. So this wasn't going to go the easy way, was it? Celes and Sabin let Lily walk ahead, the little idiot hadn't even noticed the men. When they went around a corner they waited for the two men. Those two came up soon enough and grabbed the big one in a headlock knocking him into the wall a few times. Celes on the other hand just knocked the other one to the ground and calmly pressed the tip of her sword at his throat.

“Care to tell why you were following us?”

“We want to know what happened to our captain. From what we overheard it sounded like you knew something.”

“Your Captain is Chris Lightfellow?” said Celes

“Yes we are Zexen Knights.” said the big guy

Celes withdrew her sword. “You should be more careful. Someone might mistake you for someone less savory and that wouldn't be good. Now where can we find a private spot to discuss this?”

“The Runemistress,” the other man said, as he pointed to a sign down the street a little ways, “She would let us use her place. She was the one that told us about the worlds coming together. By the way I am Percival and he is Leo.”

“Leo huh, that is a good name. You should take care to not dishonor it.”

Sabin looked at the two men then turned to Celes “”I'm not much for big conversations so I will go tell Lily where you are. You should be able to freeze them if they try anything.” Celes wasn't sure if that meant he thought it was safe or that if something happened it was best that he was on the outside and able to get help or if he just figured that Lily might notice that they were gone. Her stumbling into the meeting would cause more trouble than it was worth. Or he could be thinking about something completely different. Celes didn't know Sabin as well as some of the other Returners. She didn't spend more then a second watching him leave before following the knights into the shop.

As Leo explained why they were here to the Runemistress, Celes took the time to look around the shop. There were a number things hanging from the walls that had what Celes guessed were suppose to be mystical symbols. This did not give Celes a high opinion of this Runemistress, but who knows, maybe they were actually useful here in this world. After the Runemistress had put out a closed sign and introductions had been preformed all around they got down to talking.

“So do you know what caused the worlds to combine, I had a feeling of an evil force helping to bring the worlds together.” Jeane, the Runemistress, asked Celes.

“Kefka would like being called an evil force I'm sure. You don't need to worry about him. He go sealed up. I know that Chris Lightfellow helped with this.”

“Ah the Silver Maiden will always protect the Zexan Confederacy.” That was a better title then Celes had ever carried.

“How would she do that? Lady Chris is no mage.” said Percival.

“She fought him so that others had the time to cast the sealing spell, and no I don't know anything about how that sealing spell was cast. She did a better job of fighting him than I have.” Not that was saying much last time she fought Kefka she had ended in a coma for a year after failing to stop him.

“I think the first question should be why did you get so much clearer a vision then me?” said Jeane.

Leo didn't think so. He wanted to know more about Chris. “Do you have any idea where Lady Chris might be now?”

Celes was about to say no when she remembered two things. One was that Chris had been hit with shards of one of the Warring Triad and the other was that when Terra had lost control of her magic, due to not understanding it, she had ended up with Ramuh. “Maybe but even if I am right, I am not sure if that will help.”

“What do you mean?” said Leo.

“Magic attracts magic, so she might be near a friend of mine.” said Celes

“I've never heard of magic attracting magic before.” said Jeane tapping an elegent finger along the side of her face.

“And I have never heard of Runes before.” replied Celes

“So where can we find your friend?” asked Percival

“That is the problem.” said Celes. Whatever was telling her Terra was still alive hadn't seen fit to tell her where Terra was.

“How can you not know?” said Leo

That was none of his business “How can you not know where your Captain is?”

Before things dissolved into an argument Jeane changed the subject, to something Celes really didn't want to talk about.

“I wish I could see something imbued with the magic of your world.” said Jeane,

What me, she had better not be implying... “How does magic work in your world anyway?”

Jeane giggled, “I could go on for hours explaining that. I will give you the short version, for now.” She took an object out of its case. The object looked like something Celes had seen in her vision. Magic was radiating from it; It felt a little like magisite.

If Jeane noticed Celes reaction she gave no sign, simply continuing with her explanation. “Once a Rune Master, or Mistress, afixes a rune to your hand, you are able to use the spells within it. The more training one has in using a rune the more magic you can pull from a rune.”

“How are they made?” asked Celes.

“Oh come on now, you don't expect me to tell you trade secrets do you?” said Jeane lightly.

“Last time I felt magic like that it was from the remains of a dead esper.” said Celes

“What are you implying?” asked Percival.

“Nothing, I just don't want more to die, because of the magic they hold.” said Celes coldly.

“No, no, Nothing like that happened. The power of the runes descends from the Twenty Seven True Runes. Nothing had to die to make the runes.” Jeane looked quite aghast at the idea. “I wish I had some artifact from your world so I could figure out how things are different. Is all the magic in your world related to death?”

“No, although it does seem so at times.” How many did Emp...Gestahl kill to 'revive' magic Celes put the jewel ring on the table. “This ring might help. It doesn't seem to be working right anymore though.”

Jeane picked up the ring, “what is this suppose to do?”

“Keep you from getting petrified, but it's not working right. It only slowed down the process last time one of the lizards spit at me.”

“How are they made?”

Celes shrugged “They were dug up.” and the fact that they existed might have helped convince Gestahl that magic did in fact exist. “They are relics of the War of the Magi.”

“Oh do you have anything more recent?”

Memories of things that should never have been made flashed across Celes' mind “NO, I will be going now.”

“Wait please, will you be going to find your friend after this.” called out Leo before Celes got far.

Why , oh she knew why he was asking that, “Doubt I will be able to find her and even if I do it's just a guess that your captain will be there.”

“That is better then sitting around here until some jackass on the council declares her dead and assigns someone new to the post.”

I wonder if this Chris knows how rare this kind of loyalty is. “I will ask Sabin.” said Celes as she left.

o Terra o

Chris had started to stir shortly after dinner, which had been a good one with the food Terra had gotten from Nor. As soon as she opened her eyes she asked “Where am I?”

Terra wondered how she was suppose to answer that. “Molbiz” she said as she came over to the bed that Chris was on. Chris had collapsed back into the bed after raising her head.

“Never heard of it.” Chris paused and Terra wasn't sure if was because she was making an effort to not slur her words or just to collect her thoughts. “Where is Molbiz?”

“I would be surprised if you had heard of it. It is nearby Nor now.” said Terra trying not to let the worry show her voice, “How do you feel?”

“Awful, your name is Terra isn't it?”

“Yes, and you are Chris, right? Do want something to eat or drink? Katrina cooked a good meal.”

“Yes, please.” replied Chris.
Yes I am writing a fanfic. How did you guess?
UberPendragon

Re: Suikoden Fantasy Chapter 1

Post by UberPendragon »

I like the mash up still very much, you have great characterization, although a few times Sas slipped a little out of character. I imagine that even in his own head he's prim and proper. The bit with him talking to the true rune/esper is a little confusing also, I know it's all happening in his mind but you should find a way to discern the esper's dialogue from his own thoughts. Lastly I think you may be spreading yourself thin with so many characters, it would be much easier to focus on only a few from each game. The overall idea for the story though is a lot of fun and so far I'm enjoying the read.
tovath

Re: Suikoden Fantasy Chapter 1

Post by tovath »

UberPendragon wrote: Lastly I think you may be spreading yourself thin with so many characters, it would be much easier to focus on only a few from each game.
I think you are right there. The problem is how to go about it. I could put Sasarai in a separate story, but that has some problems itself.
Yes I am writing a fanfic. How did you guess?