Beginning development on a Suikoden-inspired game engine

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Tsubaki

Re: Beginning development on a Suikoden-inspired game engine

Post by Tsubaki »

wow man that sounds very impressive!! so ya somewhat a genius in these parts? haha..
i know exactly what ya mean bout the finer details in suikoden! theres just something about it that gives it an edge over alot of other RPG's.. i will never forget playing suikoden 1 for the first time! its so inspiring to me from the characters, soundtrack, story and even little things like in fights when your characters can unite or attack at the same time..
i remember when i was in school some kid in my class saw me drawing the characters an said he had the game but its 'crap' so he sold me it for a fiver!! i already had it but thought i cant miss that deal!!
al stop blabbering now but 2 things have you got any plans to work on an original RPG? and can you use XNA?
When its all said and done im feeling like the milkmans son!
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Tsubaki wrote:wow man that sounds very impressive!! so ya somewhat a genius in these parts? haha..
No, just a guy who's had a formal education in this material.
i know exactly what ya mean bout the finer details in suikoden! theres just something about it that gives it an edge over alot of other RPG's.. i will never forget playing suikoden 1 for the first time! its so inspiring to me from the characters, soundtrack, story and even little things like in fights when your characters can unite or attack at the same time..
The details I'm referring to are not so much story and characters, but more technical things like the ones I've mentioned in this topic's first post.
al stop blabbering now but 2 things have you got any plans to work on an original RPG? and can you use XNA?
I think that, at this point, pretty much all of us have ideas on how to make a Suikoden game. I won't lie, I do have my own. However, I simply don't have the time to invest in creating an entire game, developing this engine is enough for me. Additionally, I'm just not confident that I game I develop would honestly be that good. I have a knack for good story structure and general scenarios, I've come up with a few nifty plot twists in my time, but everything falls apart for me when I get to dialogue. I just can't write the stuff. As such, you probably won't be seeing a Suikoden fangame ever coming out of me.

In regards to XNA, the answer there is a very firm no. For one thing, I want this runtime to be able to run cross-platform, that being on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and I would love to be able to run it on this little gem of an operating system called Haiku. As such, I'm keeping development to C and C++ utilizing SDL. Furthermore, I just don't have any experience in Microsoft's frameworks, no do I have the time or dedication to learn. I've been trained in Cocoa and Unix-based frameworks and that's what I'm going to stick to.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Hmm... Pretty interesting.

I just want to say, that I want to be part of this. I can be part of the graphical developers or whatever they are called, but I can´t do 3D graphics(yet?). And I can make good game music too.

I might as well post some storyline-ideas later, but I have to hit the road right now.

P.S. I don´t know anything 'bout programming...
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Crowley wrote:Hmm... Pretty interesting.

I just want to say, that I want to be part of this. I can be part of the graphical developers or whatever they are called, but I can´t do 3D graphics(yet?). And I can make good game music too.

I might as well post some storyline-ideas later, but I have to hit the road right now.

Crowley, this is not a game project. This goal of this project is to develop a set of tools useful in creating a game.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

Xelinis wrote:

Crowley, this is not a game project. This goal of this project is to develop a set of tools useful in creating a game.
Allright, but I guess I misunderstood your following sentence:
Hmm... I guess it was Xelinis who wrote:I do not intend to design a graphical frontend for this; if someone else is interested in taking on this mantle, be my guest.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Crowley wrote:
Xelinis wrote:

Allright, but I guess I misunderstood your following sentence:
Hmm... I guess it was Xelinis who wrote:I do not intend to design a graphical frontend for this; if someone else is interested in taking on this mantle, be my guest.
I mean that I do not intend to develop a graphical user interface for my tools. Everything will be driven through command line.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Xelinis wrote:I'm nearly finished with my Bachelors in Computer Science from RIT
Cool! I work in Boston with a guy with a CS degree from there.

I hear you on the cross-platform targeting. I've been a Linux fanatic for a while, and work at a job where I get to actually use it on my workstation. I no longer have any patience for Windows-exclusive frameworks in anything I do. That's actually a big reason why my engine is SDL, as well. It's kind of annoying having to do almost everything yourself, but oh well...
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

KoRnholio wrote:
Xelinis wrote:I'm nearly finished with my Bachelors in Computer Science from RIT
Cool! I work in Boston with a guy with a CS degree from there.
Hey, I have friends now working in Boston! Can you drop a name?
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I PMed it.
radynaraya

Post by radynaraya »

Wow! Well, i hope your project will be success.

maybe you wanna some help? more people better right? :D i do know about programming.
for me, i would like to see improvement or maybe should i say addition, new feature like playing Opera, just like Suikoden III :)
well, its not that technical. :lol:
but i hope later, with this engine Suikoden Fans can enjoy creating their own Suiko-Games. :)
Trahison

Post by Trahison »

This is really cool! I don't know a thing about programming (wish I did!), but you have my support and I hope you succeed and keep us all updated. :D
SCREAMorphine

Post by SCREAMorphine »

Any updates on this project buddy??
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

It's been tough to find the time since I only recently finished school and am still trying to get settled in California with my new job and home.

In addition to that, there's a political matter that may prevent me from working on this. I need to look into it more and make sure that this side-project won't cause any issues.
SCREAMorphine

Post by SCREAMorphine »

That's cool dude, good luck with your new home and job.
All the best :)
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

I'm afraid that I can now confirm that I'm putting this pipe-dream of a project out to pasture. With me being out with school, the real world is just too enticing of a place to spend my available weekends locked away in a room. Furthermore, the chances of this project being a conflict-of-interest at my job are just too high and I'm not willing to risk it.

I truly appreciate everyone's enthusiasm as well as the feedback you've all provided in this thread. It got me thinking about data structures and algorithms in ways that I never had before.

Dan