Exit Fate: Spiritual succesor to Suikoden 1 & 2 (Free RPG)

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Porom
Banned User

Exit Fate: Spiritual succesor to Suikoden 1 & 2 (Free RPG)

Post by Porom »

I figured you all would enjoy hearing about this. Apparently the guy who released Last Scenario a few years back is a raging Suikoden fan and released a new game called Exit Fate, which is designed closely to Suikoden 2. Most of the tilesets and music is from Suikoden 2 and other games, but all the character art, story and other things are completely new.

Currently I've been really ploughing through it and it seems much, much longer than the first game, but I'm unsure if it's longer than 2 or not. Here's the link if you're interested - maybe it could get hosted on the main page to draw interest if everyone else likes it?

http://www.scfworks.com/ef.php

Similarities/differences I've seen so far:

Battle system is almost identical, but with a few improvements to make it better - you get two 'Entourage' party members that you can swap between any time you want in or out of battle.
Except the Rune system is gone, each character generates a number of MP per round and you cast from a list of magic you have bought. Sort of like Chrono Cross mixed with Final Fantasy, only.. not. Hard to explain.
75 unique recruitable characters instead of 108, but none are perma-missable.
Old abandoned castle turned into base for all your guys to hang out at.
War battle system loosely themed after Suikoden 2's, but with a ranking system for items. Very hard to A-rank, but the prizes are worth it.
Amusingly enough more faithful to the theme of the first two games than any of the others past 2 have been.
Bosses seem harder, especially the optional ones that are required to recruit some characters with. Made easier by packing a party of mages.
Characters have elements, which plays a role in the casting system.
Characters have affinities with 3 other characters, works sort of like how if Nanami went KO in battle Riou would sometimes be powered up with a red glow.
Bribe is different. Each random battle is alerted to you 3-5 seconds in advance, you can press cancel while the alert is on screen and pay the bribe to make it go away, avoiding the battle.
Special skills are still in, but combination attacks are out. Special skills are more useful this time around - one character has Scan, which allows for enemy stats/dropables/stealables to be seen, another has Steal and I've seen Smokescreen, Focus and others, but haven't tested yet.
Tons of political backstabbing, meddling and sneakery. Basically the best part of any Suikoden game.

And since I hope someone here can help write a guide for it, here's how to get your first optional character early: When you get the option to leave on the boat for the first time, don't. Go back to the elven village and talk to the archer in the inn.
Antimatzist

Re: Exit Fate: Spiritual succesor to Suikoden 1 & 2 (Free RPG)

Post by Antimatzist »

Gonna try that out, sounds pretty interesting.

EDIT: Played through the first dungeon. I like the battle system, feels classic, but still somehow.. innovative. One of the best RPGmaker Games I've seen so far Oo

Wonder if the story can keep up with that- a lot of names confuse me...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

This reminds me of Legion Saga, and if this is anything like Last Scenario in terms of production value, I'm sure it's worth checking out.

Played the demo like a year ago, so...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I like this game alot, even though the story is a total rip-off of Suikoden II (or maybe thats why I like it^^)

But damn, some Bosses are hard (even some random encounters) and it's impossible to get an A Rank in army battles after the first one.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Is there an alternative download mirror for this, because I'm not getting much in terms of speed from the site linked by Porom here?
Porom
Banned User

Post by Porom »

That's the official site, Patapi. I dunno of any other mirrors.

As for the story rip-off: It actually only seems to be a rip-off of Suikoden 2 at the start. Once the story starts fleshing out, it really leaps far and away from anything any Suikoden has done before.

Take note that this is a HIGHLY shorthand version, I'm leaving out much of the details - there's a bunch of story in this

Spoilers: It makes it seem as if your country has betrayed you and are trying to get rid of you, leading you to flee into enemy territory and build up your standing with them, all the while some of them conspire to get rid of you. Eventually it gets to the point where you use the army you've built up to stand between the two opposing armies and force them to both withdraw, at the advice of one of your friends from the original country. This leads the country you've allied with to accuse you of treason and arrest you, while the corrupt members who wanted you gone use this as an excuse to falsify evidence and get you executed. But your closest allies storm the court room and make a grand escape with you back to your castle.

Your friend from the country you escaped is there waiting there for you, and they accept you back upon realizing that the incident where your character is suspected of murdering his own soldiers was a set-up. Together with your friend's army you set out to take down the country you fled into not for your home country, but to create a new nation of both warring countries.. and then another country throws it's hat into the ring, one that has been doing nothing but watching from the sidelines and pulling all of the strings so far to weaken them both.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Porom wrote:That's the official site, Patapi. I dunno of any other mirrors.

As for the story rip-off: It actually only seems to be a rip-off of Suikoden 2 at the start. Once the story starts fleshing out, it really leaps far and away from anything any Suikoden has done before.
Ok, if you say so... I like Deke and that he's "Viki"*gg*
BadPotato

Post by BadPotato »

Wow... wow... WOW!!!

A lot of hard work behind this... particuliary if the guys worked alone :D (and I din't know about Last Scenario)

I would like a linux version too.. does the game is open-source?

Anyway, let's play :mrgreen:
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

My boyfriend's been playing this a lot recently. He seems to like it a lot. I don't know much about it myself though.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Finally got this working.

The opening feels more like a carbon copy of Suikoden II's premise instead of something as grand as a "spiritual successor"; carried over tilesets and BGMs notwithstanding. Still, that's just a first impression, so let's hope for a change soon.

EDIT:

... 5 hours in now. Feels like I've been playing this game forever, heh. If anyone got tips to ace the second war in Grunthall (Grunt + Hall, clever!), then please do share. If 90+% isn't good enough to score an A, then it's probably overdoing it.

Thoughts so far:

The plus: The battle system is a refreshing change, as if it took everything good from Last Scenario and made it tons better. Character-based turns without delayed time bars make for very fast movement; almost as fast as Suikoden's party-based turn system. Nearly all of the special sprites are well-designed, as far as those I've seen. The revised in-map bribing system is way too tempting; between that and Outsider, I'm broke. I noticed a handful of Suikoden V tunes in there as well, so I suppose it didn't completely ignore the rest of the series after the first two titles.

The minus: I know it made deliberate use of Suikoden II's tileset, but I can't shake the feeling that there's just too much resemblance with that game's locations. Even that South Window City's signature northern entrance made it through in its entirety, heh. Surprisingly your enemy nation is a bit too fast in trusting this enemy leader, IMO. Backtracking gets old fast, money is hard to come by, and shopping is expensive. I see that plenty of thought was put into naming weapons, yet characters have matching impressive names. I mean, "Outsider"? "Griever"? Ooookay.

All that said, this comes to mind: if given the choice between this and the upcoming Suikoden Tierkreis, which one would fans of this series choose? :P
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

If 90+% isn't good enough to score an A, then it's probably overdoing it.
You need 95%+ for an A Rank, which is plain said impossible. Your own AI is stupid and the enemy is most often strong enough to kill at least 2 of your own units.
All that said, this comes to mind: if given the choice between this and the upcoming Suikoden Tierkreis, which one would fans of this series choose?
I play this game to its end and I guess by that time Tierkreis will be published (I have spring break, yeah)
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Guess I'll be ignoring those As after all. Apparently the rewards can be obtained through easier means later, so that's not much to miss.

That said, I just entered this game's version of "Highland". I've been getting more and more "Script is hanging" error messages, too.

... at this rate, the protagonist's army won't even need a strategist. I know fans long a protagonist who negotiates firsthand with his counterparts in others' armies, but this just doesn't feel very Suikoden-like. At least in Suikoden III (and Tierkreis), the strategists do contribute a good amount of dialogues, despite how much say the protagonists command when it comes to making decisions.
Porom
Banned User

Post by Porom »

Outsider and Griever are named as such because those are alises, they keep their real identities hidden. :p You can't very well nitpick an alias.

As for A-Ranking Grunthall: Possible, but the hardest to A-Rank in the entire game. It's worth it, because you can recruit Paris early if you A-Rank it. You're only allowed to let a single non-suicidal (the front two units) unit die to get it. It requires some tactics, but as proof that it is possible:

Hero: Infantry.
Ljusalf: Scout.
Outsider: Scout.

With Joe, Cid, Goth-Girl, Col, Mike, Stromguard and maybe one other put into their units, I forget which. You want to use the Hero as bait.

As for a strategist? You're in a bit early, you don't even have an army proper yet, so you don't need a real strategist. When you get into the big-boy wars, then you get one strategist, then another.

And as for money.. ideally, you shouldn't be buying any armor, simply stealing it from enemies or winning it from them. The stuff you buy pales in comparison to that which you can steal (Goblin Helmets off of goblins give a STR boost, and sell for 100 gold - making it easier to hire Mike and Griever). It should go without saying, but you should only really focus on Hit and Attack, and for your fighters alone. Critical is a luxury boost on the weapon, only knock that up when you can afford it.

As for the enemy nation being trusting: Pretty much everyone who isn't Ryan is conspiring to kill or get rid of you, so not quite. Ryan just forced you in because of reasons you'll find out later.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Porom wrote:Outsider and Griever are named as such because those are alises, they keep their real identities hidden. :p You can't very well nitpick an alias.
Eh, it's more like Ace and Queen then. Make sense. Still, what kind of parents name their child "Sick"? :P
As for A-Ranking Grunthall: Possible, but the hardest to A-Rank in the entire game. It's worth it, because you can recruit Paris early if you A-Rank it. You're only allowed to let a single non-suicidal (the front two units) unit die to get it. It requires some tactics, but as proof that it is possible:
You sure it's OK to let a non-suicidal die? I did exactly that, and still ended up with a B rating. Looks to me perfect 100s is the only way to go.

But, damn, I assume Paris is a recruitable general (like how he is during the Grunthall sequence)? Would it still be possible to score As in the next few battles with at least 1 general short?
As for a strategist? You're in a bit early, you don't even have an army proper yet, so you don't need a real strategist. When you get into the big-boy wars, then you get one strategist, then another.
Noted. I still think the Hero talks too much, and not enough of everyone else though. Even Ayara and Ljusalf faded out too soon. =/

Porom, since you appear to be far into the game, any idea how to stop these game-crashing "Script is hanging." errors from being triggered? And I'm running v1.01, too.
Porom
Banned User

Post by Porom »

I've actually just today beaten the game and am working on the end-game content right now, which is proving to be quite a challenge. The normal game clocks in at about 35-40 hours. And.. I can't remember, but in every war battle past Grunthill you're allowed to let a single unit die, perhaps two in some battles.. maybe you can't let anyone die in Grunthall. Still, the ideal strategy is moving hero ahead with all the best subordinates on him to lure the enemies down by staying just within range of a single one, then allow your archers to snipe them or protect the NPCs.

I'm.. not sure if it'll be much harder without Paris, to be honest. My strategy has been reliant on 'Switch 75% of the army to Mage even if they have one star in it, bait with Hero or another infantry, have all mages swarm forward and attack each unit once'. It makes them too weak to kill anything, and you can use them to hit Leaders until they're below 75 units without any retaliation, allowing you to safely mop up the rest of the units to score maximum Power. None of the war battle rewards are one-shot only that I can think of, except maybe Demon Commandos, so don't stress out over them and just continue past them unless you really enjoy the challenge.

As for the script error.. I haven't gotten one of those yet, sorry. No clue why it might be happening to you. :(