Stars of Destiny list for RMXP Suikoden Game <Updated>

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Jack of All Trades

Re: Critics Wanted: Need Holes Poked in Suikoden Project SoD's

Post by Jack of All Trades »

I'm actually comtemplating the idea of making Odessa the Tenkai star. The original plan was for Barbarossa to be the Tenkai star. His "journey" as a character is not that of a tenkai star. Think about it, we are watching him grow as a character from the Succession War to the Kaleka incident. We are going to literally watch Barbarossa go from a man of compassion and ideals, a true "Golden Emperor" to a man of compromise and innaction. He starts out at a great leader who unites those the way a tenkai star does, however he makes a practical conscious choice to murder an entire city of people so that he can continue his war and maintain his territory. He could have just let that region go and thousands of people would have been spared.

If you ask me he is more of a Tengou star, I believe that's the second star. The one that Lepant has. I may actually remove Lepant as a character just to put Barbarossa in that spot. I have this Lepant and Kraze jealousy side plot thing that I don't want to just give up though.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Hmm, maybe, but Teo is definitely not a Tenkai. Are you planning on having any returning Tenkai (4 and 5)?
Jack of All Trades

Teo doesn't feel like a Tenkai to me either. Originally I was going to make him grow into the unwaveringly loyal guy he is. I've been writing him as reckless and rash. Saying that he became a Great General because of his tactical knowledge, ability to lead men, and unrivaled battle prowess. This gives him some flaws and room to grow as a character. I was going to put him on a the standard tenkai star type of hero's journey too. I still might but he just doesn't feel right to me.

Odessa, on the other hand, does. Her "voice" just clicks with me. There is so much story to tell. She's a pompous noble who is blind to the world who becomes the leader of the liberation army. If I continue to use her, I'm going to have to yank her from Apple's Star. I think a female Tenkai might just be the thing a Suikoden game needs. I actually didn't mean to write her in. I tend to write organically and it just sort of happened.

It's all still up in the air though. I've been pretty busy putting together my ever growing development team.
JanusThePaladin

Yeah, a development team is important. However i thought this was going to be the story of the Succession War. Where exactly does Odessa fit into that?
Jack of All Trades

That's why I'm only considering making her the Tenkai. Suikoden 3 proved that the hero an the Tenkai Star don't have to be the same person. I'm writing the outline of the game as a series of alternating chapters. The chapters are split between Barbarossa, Teo, and I added Odessa spontaneously. It just sort of happened. The two chapters I have for her are really cool. I currently have her trying to get to the village of the elves with Georg Prime and Huan. (Don't ask how, I realize that those 3 people and that location seem very random, just trust me when I say that it makes sense).

So I have 3 characters but I'm not doing a trinity site system. Player's will not be able to choose which chapters they want to play or anything. I just like the way it breaks up the story. Teo's early story has him fighting lake Pirate's with Sonya's mother, and Barbarossa is uncovering the plot has set in motion against him. Odessa serves as a bit of fresh air and I gives me a little room to breathe as a creator.

I haven't decide on who goes in what star yet. At the time I started that list, I had just decided that as a character not only was Barbarossa too old to be the Tenkai but his story goes in the wrong direction. I mean he decides to let Windy destroy his empire. Nonetheless, his story is road this entire game rides on. I'll decide who is the Tenkai later
JanusThePaladin

Windy destroys his empire later. He could be your Tenkai all the way through, then Claudia dies and Windy appears. Much like the crumbling of the Zexen grassland alliance after the second Fire Bringer War.
Jack of All Trades

I know. I was just trying to illustrate the quality of his character to you. Claudia dies very early on during the war. Before he even gets to Pannu Yakuta.

I think a lot of people would love to see Windy in this story. He's going through a lot dark stuff during this time and I'd like to play with their romance, I'm also planning to compromise his character a few more times to work him up to butchering Kaleka to keep the war going.

My original plan was to make another side to the Kaleka Incident that no one knew about. Like having the villagers contracting a magical disease that could wipe out the entire empire if not stopped or something. I like him better as this flawed character though.

Like I said earlier though. I don't personally care who the tenkai star is. Realistically, I have 3 revolving main characters who all get equal time.
JanusThePaladin

With that in mind you could go at it S3 style and make some random unimportant character your Tenkai, like Sanchez or Sonya's mom
Jack of All Trades

I was thinking about going back to barbarossa as the Tenkai after speaking to you. However, this is a fantastic idea.

My new Tenkai Star is Abizoah. Beware his tentacled madness
JanusThePaladin

Lol. I never even recruited Abizboah. Anyway, I'll keep trying to punch holes in your ideas aslong as you like.
Jack of All Trades

Bring it on. I need to make sure the continuity in this game is perfect. If it can stand up against suikosource, then it can stand up against anything. The only concern I have is that there are a few japanese publications that are parts of the established continuity and I have no access to them.

I'm afraid that when I sprite and portrait, young tir, and assam I'll won't make them like they are described in the novels and short stories. Even worse some of those events have to happen in my game like Teo adopting Ted and Gremio saving Tir.

I can't even find that picture of the 6 great imperial generals, so I have almost no idea what Kilawher and Georg look like. Although I can imagine them.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

@jack: Maybe you sould post your project at duefiumi.com as well. I think there are some people who know thes ejapanese publications.
(No, that's not a commercial, but i just want this project to be great^^)
Jack of All Trades

Thats a good idea. I'll look into it
Jack of All Trades

I made a major update to the list. I took a lot of the changes into consideration. I'm pretty sure that I'm reducing Viktor's role down to that of a cameo but he's my favorite character, so it's hard you know.

Let me know if there are any new glitches.
BadPotato

Re: Stars of Destiny list for RMXP Suikoden Game <Updated>

Post by BadPotato »

Hi,

just to aware you that there an another rpg maker project in french community:
==> http://www.legacyofsuikoden.com/sher/ (the project seem to working well, artwork is very nice(I love the how they draw the old viktor)... they also release a "duel demo" application, less that one month ago)

The event are after the dunan unifaction war... while the high east rebellion in highland.

Also, I saw some rpgmaker tryed to make some good game but most time they have no time to finish the whole thing. I think that can be a good idea to try to contact them, you can also simply share ressource, if you can contribute for them too...

Anyway, your project looks totaly awesome, so if you'll really made it, keep it up!! :D