[Dead] Suikoden Game for RMXP

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
blah1017

Re: Suikoden Game for RMXP off to a great start

Post by blah1017 »

I'm really liking the look of this so far. This looks much better than random cheaply constructed fangame #2364.

With Konami's rather lax approach to fleshing out the series lately, it's good to see we can at least look to the fans for more outlets to enjoy Suikoden.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Thanks I'm really glad to hear that. I'm trying really hard to keep this from being just another crappy fangame. I really hate that word, but when you take a look at the bevy of final fantasy games for rpg maker you'll see just why the word fangame is an insult now.

You know someone recently asked me "Why don't you just create an original rpg series?" It shut me down pretty hard. I didn't have an answer better than, "I want to make the game that I want to play more than any other." It made me feel as if I wasn't being creative with this game. I realized later that some of the best things ever made are by creators playing in other people's world. Look at Batman or comic books in general.

On another topic. I've been having a tough time adapting "Oath's Axe" because it takes the entire Succession War and turns it into a single battle. Its obviously not an official or cannon source of information but its a great story and it prominently features Gremio and really fleshes him out as a character. The bad guys' plot involves brutalizing Gremio and kidnapping Tir to blackmail Teo Mcdohl. The problem is that the baddies plan is tied up in the taking of Gregminster which is one of the earliest battles.

I had a breakthrough a few days ago and it essentially involves Gremio and Tir going on the run and reluctantly getting involved with the Mt. Seifu bandits. For those of you in the know its actually me combining and adapting two stories "Oath's Axe" and "Silver and Gold"...
blah1017

Post by blah1017 »

Well you're certainly not going to get any complaints from me for not being creative enough to do your own game. Suikoden has a very broad story, with tons of events that have not been fleshed out in a game. More then enough room for you to go wild.

I don't think anyone here is going to fault you for not doing your own game. Creativity really shouldn't be judged until you actually have something to look at. I mean, I hate to use your example, but look at The Dark Knight. It's obviously Batman, a character/storyline that's been used over and over again in multiple forms of media, but it does something special. There's a great story told, and great acting. Some of the best things I've experienced have come from pre-existing media.

Also there's nothing stopping you from making your own series. Really, don't let anyone knock the wind out of your sails.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You know someone recently asked me "Why don't you just create an original rpg series?"
It's harder to make a game in an existing universe than rather create your own RPG with average storyline, average characters and so on (and it's really hard to makenot-cliched games).

It's even as hard of a task that even Konami can't do it and just start a new series.

I can't wait until you're done and do a game about the Higheast Rebellion :D
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

With Konami's proven waning interests in their own series, as demonstrated by the introduction of Tierkreis' blank slate of a setting, I don't see why it'd be a problem anyway.

Speaking of Higheast Rebellion, I wonder what it'd be like fighting a rebellion that failed canonically.
Jack of All Trades

I thought about it. If I were going to write that game, I would give the stars of destiny an underlying goal of great importance so that even though you lose the war you still have a sense of victory for the player. It would probably be similar in tone to the Empire Strikes Back, since the bad guys win. Still though the player would win the most important goal. I think the most important thing to do would be to seed for a future plot line given the timing of the event.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Just for the record, I expect the full translation of Oath's Axe to be shared with you guys before September 1st.
Jack of All Trades

I think a fully translated Oath's Axe is a pretty major contribution by itself. Thanks Dragonmasterx.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Honestly, if you are already looking at options for the next game, I'd say the First Fire Bringer War has much more of the "conventional" potential than the failed rebellion at once-Higheast. It'd be much more work to render Grasslands and its neighbours in RMXP, especially if you are considering converting them to sprites, but at least you already have a fully working Tenkai.
Jack of All Trades

Well, I'm seeding for both conflicts just in case. The first firebringer war happens from 407 to 425. Eighteen years is a long fricking time! If I was going to do the first firebringer war, it would start medias res with Wyatt and Geddoe springing FC from the pokey. It happened somewhere between 418 and 420 so it would make a better time span for a war. This war has a lot of disadvantages going for it as well. It has the timespan thing, and like the Higheast Rebellion it ends anti-climatically. It ends with a big explosion that kills a whole bunch of good guys (and bad guys too), and the FC reaching a 50 year ceasefire agreement.

The Higheast Rebellion is pretty short and the High East Province is pretty small. It consists of Kyaro, Le' Renouille, and that little town to the north where you buy upper tier elemental runes. There is not a lot going on there. However, many of the series best characters could get involved. I think there is more to Highland then what was portrayed in Suikoden 2 though, so the High East Province should be bigger.

Personally, I don't care. I'm only seeding for these wars with little plot "crumbs". I need them there for potential only. If we can pick this up then great but I want to focus on the game in front of me right now.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

When is your homepage going to work?
Jack of All Trades

It got put on the backburner for the moment. We had a forum installed but we decided to go a different direction at the last minute and now both of my web designers are preoccupied at the moment. I suspect it will go up in about a month. Its funny, we currently use a windows live group for our base page. But, as some of you know the windows live server frequently goes down. One of our members started a discussion page on proboards for us out of the blue. Then another of our members mentioned that she has a free domain floating around.

We all got to talking and we decided the best thing for us would be to build our own webpage. We all wanted a real forum for discussions, something more organized for then a windows live page, I wanted a blog to talk about stuff with the public, we'd like a picture viewer program, and storage space. Between all of us we have all of the software needed, so I went out and bought a .com. I purchased the site name only from cookie host for cheap. I plan to either have my friend Sakura host it or go through squeebs for hosting.

Honestly though, the sight is more of a reliable place for us to work on stuff. I want to include a public showcase and allow people onto the forum because more fans = more volunteers. The more volunteers the faster we can get this thing done.

Right now, we are still slowly arranging all of the map tiles. We don't have a dedicated mapper and its taking much longer then any of us thought it would. I've hired like 8 mappers and fired a bunch of them too. Unfortunately, people want to be part of the project more then they actually want to work for the project. Its a hassle. Still our core group is very dedicated and we have several people who are waiting to make maps for us once the tiles are done. Our scripter is freeing himself up from his prior commitment and I'll probably either have him get back to the battle system or work on the website.

We'll see. Either way things are still trucking along.
DaveyJ

Post by DaveyJ »

Hey I hope that the project will go well. I've only just started dabbling in making games (I'm actually at college to be a game developer) but I don't think I would be much help :? Anyways, good luck. If you ever need a bug tester or something I'd be happy to help.
Jack of All Trades

If you have any graphic art skills we can find all sorts of stuff for you to do.
DaveyJ

Post by DaveyJ »

Sadly I do not. I used to be an Illustration major before I switched. But as for graphic design, I haven't a clue how to do any of it.