[Dead] Suikoden Game for RMXP

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Jack of All Trades

Re: Suikoden Game for RMXP off to a great start

Post by Jack of All Trades »

patapi wrote:Then, that begs the question, how does one "become" a black knight?
I don't know. I'm only alluding to a larger group of Black Knights as I don't want to actually state that they exist. I imagine Arthur has some pretty dark stuff going on in his past. I figure he's commited some sins to either get into the Black Knights or to get close to Yuber. When I write characters into other characters pasts and histories I tend to go very Meta to prevent from creating continuity glitches with the other games.

As far as creating the Black Knights goes, I feel that I can create a group of Black Knights. I'm not really going to put thier origins on display though. The way Konami has it written they allude to the fact that this group may or may not exist. They are very vague about it. So if Konami decides to ever feature the Black Knights in a game, I can say that my characters are a part of that order. If they don't, then guess what they are part of the secret history of Suikoden that my game is all about.

The way I look at them they are probably kind of like the Akatske except not necessarily evil or power hungry. They are a secret society of Black Armor guys that have either have a connection to the eightfold rune or true runes in general.

Arthur is my way of making the whole Yubmerga thing right. Yuber and Pesmerga are shallow two dimensional characters. Arthur, Cain, and Co. aren't. I think fans will respond positively to the story arc that surrounds them. Although, I'm freaked out about it now. These are not main characters in the game and I've hyped them into oblivion now.
Jack of All Trades

kte03 wrote:Wow... those character portraits are FANTASTIC! If you don't mind me asking, how will the graphics of the game look? Will you be using SII's sprites?
Of course I don't mind you asking, thats the whole point of this thread. We are using Suikoden 2's sprites and tiles. Although we are probably going to editing them heavily for our game as many characters have different looks, or are significantly younger. I'm going to have to make Yensoo come and check out your guys comments, I'm sure he'll be flattered.

We are also going to add a particle effects engine to the game as well. You'll see rain, snow, fog and other cool effects in our game. I'm pretty excited about the snow on Mt. Tigerwulf.
kte03

Post by kte03 »

lol SWEET! I wanted to see a polished version of SII's appealing sprite graphics. I'm actually quite excited for this project. Good luck on this project and keep up the great job!
Jack of All Trades

thanks
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I noticed that you are planning to bring back the Skills system from Suikoden III (and, by proxy, Rhapsodia). It'd be sweet if you bring back the free positioning system as a complement to that brilliant system, but I'm not sure how that'd work out in RMXP.

How about mounting from S3? That was a downside of those Dragon Cavalry characters in V, tbqh.

Buddy system? Sharing cheap Drop of Kindness was sweet.
Jack of All Trades

patapi wrote:I noticed that you are planning to bring back the Skills system from Suikoden III (and, by proxy, Rhapsodia). It'd be sweet if you bring back the free positioning system as a complement to that brilliant system, but I'm not sure how that'd work out in RMXP.

How about mounting from S3? That was a downside of those Dragon Cavalry characters in V, tbqh.

Buddy system? Sharing cheap Drop of Kindness was sweet.
We aren't doing the buddy system and I don't even want to think about the in battle movement engine. I'm not opposed to monster mounting in fact I'm hoping its possible but to my knowledge it's never been done before. I'm confident in my scripter's abilities to create that system but that all hangs on our groups ability to find a second scripter to help take care of other duties. Which brings me to the skill system. I'd like to implement the skill system but we're on the fence about. It could go either way. I know we'll definitely do it if we can get a second scripter. So if any of you guys no anybody with any rmxp or enough spriters that I can have my lead spriter script the skill system for me.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Mounting aside, are you guys even considering Unite Attacks?

That said, I hope you guys secure that scripter soon. I'm not too familiar with the RMXP scene to recommend anybody, but I'm sure there are Suikoden fans among them who may be interested in this.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

patapi wrote:Mounting aside, are you guys even considering Unite Attacks?
I guess that's not too difficult- Exit Fate managed to include a relation-system, if you could expand it, you have your Unite Attacks.

I really can't wait (which is bad, because it will sure take a lot of time till its complete), but it's great that your still enthusiastic about everything.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That reminds of me of those relationship meters. Having them impacting in-battle performance was great and all, but that would have been better if the non-obvious relationship are expanded upon in due course of the story. Perhaps something similar to Rhapsodia's Good Will talks or even Fire Emblem's support talks would have added some story-driven explanation behind their relationships.
Jack of All Trades

My scripter is including Unites in his battle system. He claims to be able to be able to kick out a CBS, a Rune System, Dragon Racing, an Entourage Party System, and the Skill System but I have my doubts. We'll see if he can really do it all.

We are doing a Karma Point system in this game. The choices you make will affect everything from character recruitment to Unite Damage. Additionally, we want to include a harvest moon style dating system. However the perspective has to be changed. We are looking at creating a match maker kind of character to fascilitate love between various people.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Is Jeane going to be in it? She would make a funny (maybe not good) matchmaker.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Wouldn't it be better to have another character for that though, what's with Jeane already serve the function as the Rune Sage.
Jack of All Trades

The new stars list is up at Duefiumi. Just click the link in the original post to check it out.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I was just joking about Jeane. She'd be the worst matchmaker in the history of the world.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Heh. Maybe it could be like the Theatre setup, where any character can be appointed to play the role as "matchmaker"? Jeane would be hilarious, especially if the client decided to go with her instead of the one she was supposed to match them with.

On the Stars list, I'm surprised that Kilawher is a Falcon-style fencer. Is this canon?

Original Black Knights occupying the Chiki-Chimou duo could go either way, I guess. Especially seeing how their canon predecessors easily had the least likable personalities or, worst, none whatsoever.

Wish you'd keep the vowel pattern for the names of those non-star, or at least go for a recognisable theme like the Japanese numbers in Koroku's quintet or music notes used for the Doremi Elves.