Suikoden 2: The strange Forest

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Black knight overlord

Suikoden 2: The strange Forest

Post by Black knight overlord »

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this, but here goes. Ive been bored occasionally, so I made this story about the "Squirrel squad" as they are called. These squirrels, of course, were very two-dimensional with very little personslity, so I expanded on them to make them more interesting. I assume this takes place shortly after S2, but the location is never specified.
Plz comment, I need some feedback. Basically, in a random forest somewhere a mysterious True Rune that enables intelligent thought and the power of speech(it also causes them to become malevolent) the majority of this story was written durring Geom 112, because the math teachers droning monotone would put me in a near-comatose state otherwise(2-3ppl fall asleep each class lol) so this gave me something to do. I really like how its turning out.

This is not finished btw, ill add to it later.

Here: Deep in the forest, a traveller wanders around, hopelessly lost. He begins feeling nervous as he sees a small shape out of the corner of his eye.

"Nothing to worry about....just a racoon, thats all" He said to calm himself.
Then, there was a loud *Crash* from a nearby bush, and a large bear stumbled out, clearly just as confused. Upon spotting the lone traveller, the bear became enraged and rushed at him.

The traveller fell down, completely immobilized with fear. The bear swiped a sharp claw at him, creating a large gash from which crimson blood spurted.

Oddly, the bear's eyes seemed to glaze over, and he collapsed by a tree. The traveller eventually bled to death. A symbol glowed on the bears head, then faded as the bear's life slowly ended. A bright light shone on his head, lighting up the night as the symbol rose into the air. Then soared into the endless forest.

Day 1

Walking though the forest is a small flying squirrel known as MukuMuku, he carefully creeps by careful not to bring much attention to himself. He WAS in charge after all, and he can't have something bad happening now.

He approached a large tree, large being an understatement, it was massive, probably the largest in the forest. He entered a small crack near the bottom, and it led to a large central chamber. He waited for his servants.

The wall of this room had many drawing, scratched on with some sharp object. In the middle of the room was a large round table, surronded by chairs made of small stumps. On this table was a wooden bust, and he approached it cautiously. There was a strange rune on it, it looked like an inverted tree with its upturned roots spread in many directions. It glowed with a creepy light, Mukumuku glanced away quickly. Seated around the table was four other flying squirrels, each wearing capes of varying colors. One of them, Makumaku, approached him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The group so far:

Mukumuku(Red)- The leader of the group, he hates stupidity and is known to have sinister plans for the forest(and elsewhere). He is in charge of planning and anything else he finds too important for the others. Also, he occasionally has a bad temper that he takes out on those around him.

Makumaku(Blue) - He was known as a silent type, but over the years began to speak his mind. This turned out to be a bad decision, and he is known to be a fool. He is sent out to do many chores for the group that are too inconvient for the rest. The others generally disregard anything he says as useless, and they are usually right.

Mokumoku(Yellow) - He enjoys playing pranks on his fellow members, but has trouble telling right from wrong. This can lead to him playing cruel, and sometimes heartless pranks. The other members have come to distance themselves from him, offering him bowls of curry(apparently his favorite) to distract him from terrorizing them. His twisted sense of humor causes him to feared in the group. It is unsure what goes through his small, furry head sometimes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, what was worth going out for?" Makumaku, in blue, replied.
Mukumuku cuffed him with the back of his paw, sending him sprawling to the floor.
"Your an idiot, someone was killed by a bear just this morning"
He motioned to the bust on the table.
"Whats that?"
"Just some driftwood I found earlier"

Mukumuku contemplated hitting him again, but decided against it. Instead, he reached into the small, burlap bag he carried with him, and retrieved a small map of bark. He spread this across the round, wooden table.

The others were seated on wooden stumps as Mukumuku began. "Something odd is happening in this forest, us talking, for example. From now on we will call ourselves by color only."

The others listened intently, except for Makumaku, who was watching a small bug move across the floor. "Now, if you look here" Mukumuku followed a small line on the map to where it met a larger line.

"You will see the road that passes through the forest, many travelling merchants pass through here bringing with them many usefull things. In a few days, we are expecting some to come."

He gave the others a moment to let this sink in, then continued. "We will set up a few traps along the way to make this easier" He reached under the table and pulled out a long, sharp branch. He used this to poke Makumaku from across the table, as he was clearly not paying attention.

"HEY!, bring me that box behind you"

Makumaku stumbled out of his seat and found an old, worn out chest they had stolen earlier. He brought this around the table quickly and placed it before Mukumuku.

He opened it, and inside was an old rope net, a few small spades, and a rope ladder.

"Tommorow, we will begin preparing for these Visitors, BLUE!" He poked Makumaku with the long stick.

"You will dig the hole, it needs to be quite large. You should be capable of that, at least."

They then scurried up small ladders to their overhanging beds.

That Night

In the middle of the night, Makumaku slowly opened one eye and peered around the room. Everyone was asleep at last. He crawled down the small ladder and silently crept along the narrow hall. In the storage room, he found the bust where he had left it, on top of a few boxes of food.

The strange symbol glowed enigmatically, a greyish-green energy resonated from it, filling the entire room. Just a quick peek..., he thought to himself. He ran a sharp claw across the ancient surface, as a strange thing happened in the room. The light grew brighter and blinded Makumaku, filling his body with a peculiar sensation. He was rooted to the spot as this feeling concentrated on his forehead.

What.....is...this..?, he thought as he lost conciousness.

Day 2

Makumaku groggily opened one eye and peered around the room. When he saw that hazy yellow, he immediatly shut his eyes, hoping Mokumoku hadn't noticed. Inevitibly, many acorns rained onto his head with a comical *Thump*. He vaugly heard a snicker as Mokumoku left the room, probably for curry(his favorite).

As he left the room, he was handed a small spade and led through the forest by the others. They came to the dirt road, which was overrun with many weeds and mushrooms on either sides. Once they found a suitible spot, Mukumuku said "Ok, you start digging while we go plan over there" He pointed to a shady spot between two large oaks.

Makumaku began digging, soon getting the hole a few feet deep. Eventually, he needed the ladder that Mukumuku had left near the side of the road. He held it in place with two large stones and continued digging, throwing heaps of dirt into the crisp autumn air. He was getting quite tired and began taking breaks more often.
He resumed until the stars were high above him and the others had left.

Finally, around what must have been midnight, he was finished. He ran under massive trees, flying through the darkness in fear of the larger animals that roam at night.

When he arrived at their HQ, he found the door locked. *Sigh* Those jerks..., he thought to himself as he dug a small hole. He threw some large leaves over himself and quickly fell asleep.

Day 3

The day had come. The arranged for a brief meeting at the round wooden table. Mukumuku took his usual seat in an elegant throne crafted out of dark wood. "The traps seem to be in working order" (He glanced at Makumaku, who had some bruises and cuts) " Our plans will come together today, I dont suppose I have to go over them again..."

"What were they...?" Makumaku said in a very quiet voice

Mukumuku threw an acorn at him, that connected, sending him to the floor.

They procceded through the forest and soon came to the dirt road, just in time. From the treetops, they silently watched the merchants come along the old trail. Their wagon was made of steel-reinforced wood, and it had a bronze sign that read Zelant Trading Corps. in large, elaborate script. It soon came to the spot, the horse shrieking in protest as it fell into the abyss. There were many agonized shouts from the pit for a while. Then all was silent. Makumaku, while being prodded with a long, pointy branch, lowered a small rope ladder into the hole. Among the valubles, they found many useful things. One of which appeared to be a map of the nearby Zelant countryside. Mukumuku shoved this into his small bag then looked for other things.

Once they were done, they climbed out and headed for their HQ, satisfied with their work.

Later That Night

Awaken...

Makumaku awoke with a start. There was an intense throbing in his head, it felt like his tiny skull would cave in.

Come...

He felt something take hold of him, and he began decending the small rope ladder. About halfway down, his foot missed the next rung and he plummeted to the ground. Stars danced around his eyes and his foot was twitching in the air as he waited for the pain to subside.

FOOL!!...come now!!!

He gathered himself from the floor and hurried down the narrow hall, very nervous and anxious about what lie beyond that door. Inside, that strange rune glowed ominously--calling him forward. He approached, feeling very curious. Suddenly, the rune lifted itself from the surface of the bust and hovered in the air a few feet above. He was rooted to the spot, staring at this presence before him. Then, there was a flash of blinding light as the rune flew at him. The force was enough to knock him off his feet and slam him against the back wall. Everything around him seemed to be outline in a watery haze, until that too, faded into darkness.

Elsewhere...

Darting through the trees was a strange creature, it was small in size--but something about it was very strange. There was a flash of yellow as it leaped from the shade of one tree to the next. Soon, it approached a clearing in the forest, with a scattering of leaves spread across the damp earth. He strolled over to a large oak tree and ran a sharp claw over it's surface. Damn, not this one.... The figure moved over to a another tree and repeated this several times. Finally, he extracted a long silver key from the hole of one tree. He moved towards the center of the clearing, and brushed aside some leaves with his claw. There was an old, rotting trapdoor with a rusted metal handle. He quickly opened this and decended into the abyss...

He silently crept down the stairs into a small, dark room. There were tables lining both walls, and on each was many different experiments. These included burning small animals to see which died faster, or drowning insects. He moved over to a small table in the corner and began taking notes in a quick, messy hand. There was a loud *crash* by the door, and he turned to look. It was that idiot, who then picked himself off the floor and wandered over.

"What do you want!?" He asked, quited annoyed.

"Ummm....I was looking for my shovel...." He mumbled.

Yellow than picked it up and threw it in his general direction.

"Ok...well, bye then" He replied

Yellow ignored him and continued scribbling rapidly on the page before him, because it wasnt long until they all left. He had some unresolved matters at hand...

Mukumuku, still tired, moved over to his wooden throne at the head of the table. He gazed lazily at the others, and began tapping his foot expectantly.

"Well?" he asked. "Is it ready?"

Makumaku rose from packing a few things.

"Yes"

Mukumuku acknowledged this with a grunt. He then strode nonchantantly to a dusty rug nearby and kicked it aside. Underneath was a worn out trapdoor, its surface riddled with countless cracks. He grabbed the rust door handle and threw the door open. The damp stone stairs decended into the abyssal darkness below. They gathered their supplies and procceded down, an air of uncertainty hanging over their furry heads.

Along the tunnel were many pickaxes in various states of disrepair, from their countless attempts at mining something of value. They continued for about an hour, although it felt much longer.

They emurged in an abandoned cellar. There were large drums of wine lining the walls on either side, and cobwebs infested the dark corners. A wooded staircase on the opposite side lead to an old doorway, long since boarded up. Mukumuku caught a flicker of movement out of the corner of his eye. Mokumoku darted off after it, and it appeared to be merely a mouse.

He giggled to himself and took it to a lonely corner. Soon, a disturbing *Crack* could be heard, followed by rapid chewing and something dripping on the stone floor. Mokumoku returned and quickly wiped the scarlet from his face, the blood was in striking contrast to the yellow of his cape. Mukumuku stepped boldly ahead.

"You could have just asked for food..." He said, suddenly nervous.

Makumaku snicked behind him. In a blur, Mukmuku delivered a swift punch to his abdomen. He was tired of him. Makumaku fell unconsious with a soft moan. He turned to the others and spoke sharply.

"Drag that idiot"

Mekumeku(Green) and Mikumiku(Pink) complied, pulling him towards the staircase ahead.

Mukumuku glanced casually around the room, then an idea came to him. One of the large wine drums had a crack through the center, just large enough to admit one of them through.

"Throw him in there, he would be of little use to us"

Pink and Green swung him into the drum, he slamed against the back with a *thump*. Mukumuku spoke again, an irratated tone in his voice.

"I suppose we should leave some kind of directions for him..."

He grabbed a rock and scratched an arrow on the ground, pointing back the way they came.

"It seems foolproof enough, but im sure he can find some way to confuse it"
Last edited by Black knight overlord on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Suikoden 2: The strange Forest

Post by KFCrispy »

you can't post images in the forums, btw... that's why they are being converted to 'url'
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

wow that's a lot of brain juice

... ima read this when i feel up to the task

bbut right now i'm at an awe to teh amount of text you placed into 5 ridiculous squirrels

did you write all this in one session?
Black knight overlord

Obviously not, this was over the couse of maybe a month and some, just when I could be bothered. This originally was part of a role play on another forum. Then I realized the others there were really bad at it, so I just wrote it has a story. What do you think though?

Also, KF, why is there an Img button then? does it do anything?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

urls work in other sections, but not in the General Forum....
Black knight overlord

Feedback would be appreciated.
rewinged

Post by rewinged »

Sorry to resurrect the dead but I felt that this story deserves at least one man's honest opinion... And to remain honest I have to say I loved it! I always wondered why stories about some of the more bizzare Suikoden characters aren't used as much. I have to say it kept me hooked and the ending made me laugh =p

Thanks for sharing that!