Alliance Alive

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
JuveLeo

Alliance Alive

Post by JuveLeo »

Did anybody purchase this game when it came out and enjoyed it? I bought it at launch, but i just couldn't get into the game. It seemed boring and bland to me, although i might give it another go in the future.
Jowy Atreides

Re: Alliance Alive

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I'm trying to get back into the habit of posting on Suikosource, so I'll give this one a go.

Thankfully, I didn't have to pay for my copy of this game (3DS), but it was bad. I was excited to see what Murayama could come up with (as 'the Suikoden guy') but the story didn't really draw me in, either. He could have been constrained by whatever parameters his bosses set up for him, but it was definitely generic, as you say.

That being said, I was still willing to give the game a fair (fairer?) shake, but the gameplay was no good, too. Based on the SaGa Frontier system, where there are no levels, only stats (that go up at the end of each battle). The twist to Alliance Alive is that these stats hardly ever, you know, go up. Just fight battle after battle with almost no stat increases until...what? I didn't see the point of fighting all these battles just for the game to go back to the map immediately afterwards.

I'd read ahead and found out that the hardest boss was coming up soon, and my lack of stat increases told me to just give up before getting inevitably annihilated. I don't have the time or patience for grinding anymore.