Chatty Shopkeepers in Role-Playing Games

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
sticky-runes

Chatty Shopkeepers in Role-Playing Games

Postby sticky-runes » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:35 pm

I've recently been playing Dragon Age: Origins, and while it's a pretty engrossing game with well thought out characters, I can't help but feel incredibly irritated by one thing: Every single merchant in this game is a bloody chatterbox who will not shut the F#ck up.

Seriously, you just approach them to buy and sell stuff, and they give you their life story. "Hey, it's you! Welcome to my shop! Thank you for saving our town from Darkspawn earlier, it's nice to have things back to normal for a while. You and your friends must be really busy with all this crazy stuff that's going on in the land, I suppose I should be grateful that I'm here in the safety of my shop and not out hunting monsters and bandits. So how can I help you today?" and when you select the option to browse their wares you get "I'm not the best merchant in the whole world, but I'm sure I've got some items here that you might find useful. Perhaps you need some new weapons or healing items? Why don't you have a look at what I've got here on my shelves."

FFS :evil: I haven't come here to listen to you repeating your thoughts on current events and describing the layout of you poxy little shop. What happened to games where you just walk up to the shopkeeper and immediately get a menu of things to buy and sell? Why does it have to be a cut scene just to something as mundane as stocking up on supplies.

Have you encountered any shopkeepers in other RPGs who want to halt the progress of your adventures with tons of unnecessary dialogue?

Rein

Re: Chatty Shopkeepers in Role-Playing Games

Postby Rein » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:41 am

If you look at life as the ultimate RPG, merchants are the worst. Some would sell their children lol.

bluemask

Postby bluemask » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:24 am

Ha! You probably haven't tried Skyrim (Elder Scroll series) yet. Almost everyone in that game is chatty af. Starting from the Shopkeeprs, to the Smiths until the City guard whom you just passed by. Everyone is literally a chatbox in that game.

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:54 am

The merchants in Dragon Age Origins are much worse than Skyrim. You know how in Skyrim, you get the option to ask questions such as "why set up shop here?" and "how's business?" well, imagine not asking those questions, only wanting to buy and sell items, and getting answers for them any way, and they tell you in every detail before it finally takes you to the shopping menu. And all of the talking is a cut scene showing the shopkeeper from different camera angles, and you can't skip the dialogue.

bluemask

Postby bluemask » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 am

That's.... just beyond acceptable. I guess that really would make anyone grinding. When you just wanna buy a goddamn potion! Sorry to hear that.

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:54 pm

I remember getting frustrated with Adrienne's squawking dialogue whenever I used her smithy in Suikoden Tactics, and the in-house merchants in Suikoden 5 talking about their thoughts on current events every time the story progresses, forcing you to talk to them a second time to actually use their services (taking even longer if one of them is in your active party, as you have to talk to the stand-in NPC a second time as well) Now I have to listen to a shopkeeper's life story every time I go shopping.

The only merchant in Dragon Age origins who gets straight to business is the autistic dwarf boy who offers enchanting services, and only knows one word.

bluemask

Postby bluemask » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:45 am

LOL. I guess that's the only way these shopkeepers get to talk to people when they aren't on their breaks. At least they give you info in case you missed the late night news lol jk

Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Postby Wolkendrache » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:12 am

There were chatty shopkeepers in the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series, but fortunately the mechanics allowed for quick skipping. I'm among those who usually get frustrated by unnecessary/repeating dialogue or cutscenes.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan

sticky-runes

Postby sticky-runes » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:26 am

And it does not make things more realistic or immersive, it's just annoying. I work in a shop for a living, and I don't engage in conversation with every single customer. Some customers are chatty and I will talk with them if there's not a cue behind them, but other customers don't want to stop and chat and hear about my thoughts and feelings, they just want to buy their sh!t and go. And if I get a regular customer, I don't tell him the exact same story that I told him the last 5 times he shopped here. And if I get a customer who finishes their shopping, then realises they forgot something and they whizz round the shop again to buy it, I don't repeat the same dialogue I just had with them 20 seconds ago.

Return to “Other Games Discussion”