FF7 remake on PS4

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
BrucePrintscreen

Re: FF7 remake on PS4

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Actually yes, you have a point here. And interestingly enough, if you read the massive walls of text I posted the link to earlier, you will see the guy concurs with you.

In fact both our points can be reconciled around what is THE crappiest thing in FF7: Sephiroth.

Sephiroth is what wastes FF7 for everyone. He is what makes the game looks dated. He is what spawned hordes of retards giving the game a bad name by chanting his name all around.
And as you & I said, Sephiroth is both the super abstract, artsy fartsy mistake, and the nauseously fashionable, japanese caricature.

FF7 explores plenty of good themes, alienation, paranoia, modernity, and all of them are strangely even much more topical today than they were when the game was first out. But Sephiroth? He may very well has been out of date already when he was created. What's Sephiroth about? Trying hard to look cool while never being clear about exactly what the hell he is butthurt about... It's just as you said, instead of allowing us to explore an interesting theme in the storyline, Sephiroth is a weird abstract that fails to deliver anything.

If they remake FF7, they should replace Sephiroth with Luca Blight and there, you have a perfect game.
Pen

Post by Pen »

Yeah, agreed, he really don't suit to be the Main Villain of the game. He could be one of the villains, but not it's main one. That role suit better to Hojo and Shinra as a whole.

For me, Sephiroth was more of an "ever present menace" than the proper villain of the game. The game actually do a pretty good job building Sephiroth status as a "menace" from the ground up. Like impaling the Snake that you had so much trouble in running away/defeating in a tree, or in the flashbacks, how he can clean the screen of monsters and kill dragons with a single blow. So Sephiroth job was to basically "scare you", plotwise, so you feel the same feeling Cloud do, that his party is on route to face a legend personified.

So yeah, not really Main Villain material, but a nice "The Dragon" material.

But there is one thing that I do enjoy in Sephiroth story is mostly Cloud flashback. The Super Soldier having an existencial crisis is not that bad for me.
BrucePrintscreen

True, not everything was bad about the way they conveyed him. The flashback scene was full of brilliant moment and a seminal aspect of the plot. The idea that there is a legendary warrior turning into a global menace was good. If only they had spare us the emo whining, the angsty teenager fashion, and the masturbatory monologues!
Shojo is definitely THE villain, he is the one who caused all that mess.
I also agree that the fight when he kills the dragon in a single blow is a very good way to introduce the character to us. It's using gameplay as a language to tell a story. It's a bit like, in Suikoden 2, when Jowy enters your party again to fight Gorudo and you realise how many new spells he has: this says a lot about the character without telling anything, you understand through a stupid command menu that Jowy has been through trials of his own and considerably grew up since the last time you met.
Pen

Post by Pen »

So basically your main problem with Sephiroth is not much his character on itself, but more on the fact of the constant whinning, correct?
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Pen wrote:Final Fantasy 7 is a odd game, popularity wise.

It's overrated and underrated at the same time. It's outstanding.

Overrated because while it is a good game, some people sell it more than it was, and Underrated is that people who dislike it can't see the good things the game have, and the legacy for the industry.
This, I played the game after it came out, and in my opinion it is a good game. It is not a great game and claims that say it is the best rpg ever is very debatable. Overrated.

I don't know if the underrated things is true, because in my experience, people opinion on FF7 is always between, "it is a good game" (which came from regular video games fans) and "it is the best rpg ever" (which came from fanboys/fangirls). I never meet people who say it was a bad game. I guess it is understandable though, as Suikoden fanboy myself, my opinion on Suikoden must be seems very biased to regular rpg fans.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Ick. Sephiroth. He's not fit to lick Kefka's boots.

FFVII was revolutionary in its time. I remember when it first came out and it was the craziest thing anyone had ever seen. My entire sophomore year of college was spent playing this game or watching others play it. The problem was (as it still is) I have no idea why anyone is doing anything in this game. The worst mystery to me is: why does Tifa lie about Nibelheim for 3/4 of the game and perpetuate Cloud's delusion? It drove me crazy then and it still does now.
Pen

Post by Pen »

Here what I believe:

I think the fix for Cloud problem was beyond just slapping his face and saying "You were a failure in life! You are not Zack! You were not a SOLDIER, you never reached your childhood dream! Now get over it!". I mean, Tifa had a LOT of work to bring Cloud "back" when he snapped, walking through his memories to short things out. If she had to do THAT to fix him, I believe just telling Cloud the truth never would've worked. Cloud would dismiss it, or act like the answer never arrived.

A delusional person sometimes is so lost on their fantasy that they can't hear the reality. But you are kinda right, since they should've explained it better.
veriaqa wrote:This, I played the game after it came out, and in my opinion it is a good game. It is not a great game and claims that say it is the best rpg ever is very debatable. Overrated.

I don't know if the underrated things is true, because in my experience, people opinion on FF7 is always between, "it is a good game" (which came from regular video games fans) and "it is the best rpg ever" (which came from fanboys/fangirls). I never meet people who say it was a bad game. I guess it is understandable though, as Suikoden fanboy myself, my opinion on Suikoden must be seems very biased to regular rpg fans.
Like anything who is overly popular, FF7 have a big share of "haters", as I may say.

Some within the Final Fantasy fandom. Some in the fandom, specially the Old School ones, really hate the direction the series took after 7. They complain that Final Fantasy is supposed to be a Medieval Adventure with little bits of Sci-Fi, not fully "Steampunk" or something similar. FF8 cleary received a lot of influence from 7, since that one as well doesn't take place in a world of "Sword and Magic". Same could be told about 10. And 13 and 15 follow the same suit.

As you may imagine, some even dare to say that "this was the point the series went bad" kind of argument that we so see in long franchises. I personally don't mind the Steampunk and Technology myself.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

Source RPG FAN
In a recent interview with Famitsu, the producer of the Final Fantasy VII: Remake, Yoshinori Kitase, discussed some of the development challenges of recreating one of the most beloved video games of all time.

Some key quotes:

"We're starting to see the visual direction,"

"...we're currently working out the battle system and such through trial-and-error."

"Since there's a possibility that the command battle system of the old days might not work today, we're thinking hard about what kind of direction we can take it."

"Normally, when you do a remake, it becomes somewhere along the lines of a familiar action RPG, so we're looking at how we can put out something like Final Fantasy VII while still surprising players."
Facedesk, facedesk, facedesk
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Neclord X wrote:"Since there's a possibility that the command battle system of the old days might not work today, we're thinking hard about what kind of direction we can take it."
As long as they don't take it to real-time combat. Unless it's Kingdom Hearts, it's either turn-based or nothing.
Last edited by wataru14 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrucePrintscreen

Well, Secret of Mana was real time and it was awesome.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But only because of its Coop.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

wataru14 wrote:
Neclord X wrote:Since there's a possibility that the command battle system of the old days might not work today, we're thinking hard about what kind of direction we can take it."
As long as they don't take it to real-time combat. Unless it's Kingdom Hearts, it's either turn-based or nothing.
They should replace the " battle system of the old days might not work today" with " battle system of the old days won't like casuals" I don't think there is anything wrong with the command system, is still used in lots of RPGs, but probably they aim to something that the large public will like...which I don't think is necessary, I think they would sell as hell even if they use the old system
Last edited by Neclord X on Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pen

Post by Pen »

I bet will be something like Advent Children or Dissidia.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

Can we save Aerith this time ?
BrucePrintscreen

If you recruit the 108 characters, Aerith is brought back to life.