Fire Emblem: Awakening

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Neclord X

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Post by Neclord X »

I've heard lot of good things about the new FE title for 3ds, and I was wondering, someone here has played it? I'd like some opinions from Suikoden fans since I was told I'd enjoy it since "I'm a Suikoden fan", but...all game rental services on my town dissapeared so its either buy or not buy and I'd like to be sure is going to be good before expending 40 € on a game for a console I don't even own (I'd borrow one from my brother)
Antimatzist

Re: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Post by Antimatzist »

I was never a big fan of the FE series, because I always felt difficult to keep all members alive. Well, I played one the last time when I was 12, so I'll definitely get the 3DS one to give the series another chance.

Weren't you complaining about Tactics difficulty? Then FE is nothing for you. Every death is perma-death. There are other cool things like a lot of characters and in this game, your mc cann marry another character and get children if I am not mistaken.
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I never complained about Tactics difficulty, I'm not very fond to tactic games cause there is always a point where battle starts to feel too long for my tastes. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them for a while or even finish it if is entertainin. I only completed like two of them in my life though XD
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

I havent been this hyped for a game since Suikoden 5. Keeping your allies alive is part of the games magic, it makes you really care about each unit and makes you plan every move carefully. In the 3ds game there is a casual mode for beginners of the series where you can save anytime and theres no perma-deaths. Of course i wouldn't be caught dead on this mode because i'm too damn hardcore!

Europe got the short straw on the release date though. I have to wait until April, i want to be playing it now dammit!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

A huge fan of Fire Emblem here and, yes, I can somewhat understand the similar lure that someone who enjoys Suikoden could experience towards the series. Especially if you did enjoy Suikoden Tactics/Rhapsodia.

I wouldn't worry about permanent death though, as it has been made optional since the remake of Monshou no Nazo. Nintendo is doing rather well at pushing the games to casual players by introducing this so-called Casual mode. Too bad Shadow Dragon is so unpopular that the remade sequel will never see an overseas release.

As part of the desire to appeal to said casual players, this Fire Emblem also brings back the ability to repeat maps and grind your characters to make storyline battles a breeze. I suppose it's not a bad thing since it's entirely optional, but I wouldn't be surprised if old time players consider this a further effort to vary the difficulty, similar to what happened with Sacred Stones.

I'm still debating whether to get the 3DS for this title alone. Supporting region locking feels like committing a capital offence!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I hear the latest FE actually has a casual mode that doesn't have permadeath. If I had a 3DS I'd probably try it. I hate having to replay a map because an enemy got a lucky crit.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Heh, Fire Emblem. The very game who made me cringe and swear and hate those kind of games, until Vandal Hearts showed up.

Seeing as I don't have anything Nintendo related anymore, this doesn't interest me too much, shame though, the series are rather good. I just happen to suck.