Spec Ops: The Line

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Rooks

Spec Ops: The Line

Post by Rooks »

So, us being Suikoden fans and all, I doubt there are many who like shooters. Especially third-person military shooters. But I did pick up Spec Ops: The Line, do to some glowing reviews. And I gotta say, this is probably going to be my favorite game of the year.

Overall, I do not like shooters myself -especially military shooters- I like games that engage the player on an intellectual level, not a reflexive level, but Spec Ops' story mode does both, it has some solid shooting action along with a great story that forces you to question the morality of the choices you are making. Also, being a "tactical" shooter, it becomes quite challenging on the higher difficulty settings if you do not tactically order your two AI companions around effectively.

On the downside, the game is VERY dark, so much so it could actually be classified as a horror game. And it is on the short side, about 7 hours or so for me. Also, I hear the PS3 and Xbox ports make it difficult to aim properly, so pick up the PC version if you can, which is priced at about $20 USD for digital download on Amazon right now.

But yeah, fantastic game.
freshmetal

Re: Spec Ops: The Line

Post by freshmetal »

I haven't played it. I usually enjoy shooters, but this generation's over saturation of military shooters has really kill the genre for me.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I enjoyed games like Half-Life and Goldeneye, but I completely agree. The gung-ho militarism just turns me off. But Spec Ops is quite different. It is actually based on Joseph Conrad's novel "the Heart of Darkness", you know "Stanley and the search for Dr. Livingston" and all that.

Without too many spoilers, I guess I can compare it to the movie "Bridge on the river Kwai." Where on the surface it seems like another WWII movie, but by the end it turns into something very, very different.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Rooks wrote:So, us being Suikoden fans and all, I doubt there are many who like shooters.
I doubt liking one makes you dislike the other. I've seen plenty of people on here and other boards who like many different genres of games. Just check the other game topic, should make it quite clear.

The game looks interesting, I'll check it some more after work.
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Rooks wrote:On the downside, the game is VERY dark
Since when is that a downside? :-)

But yea, marvelous game, kinda came out of nowhere.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Game rentals do not exist in Japan, so I ended up buying it for $40 off PSN during the spend $100, get $20 back month.

Since it can be beaten in a day, I highly recommend doing so through a rental. The story is definitely interesting enough to spend a day/weekend with. The story really stands out from all the other shooters out there.