The Definitive Resident Evil

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Lemmy Claypool

The Definitive Resident Evil

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

As I've mentioned before, I have some sort of obsessive compulsion when playing a game to complete every aspect of the game it has to offer. This extends to playing the "best" possible version of a game that has seen a few re-releases. When I say best I mean the version with the most stuff packed in, I.E. the 20th anniversary re-releases of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II, Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection, and Game Of The Year versions of more recent games like Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, the Arkham games and so on.

Anyway, one series that I've been wanting to get back into for a while has troubled me with this compulsion moreso than any other: Resident Evil. Due to the combined fact that I haven't played one since Nemesis came out for the PSX, and the fact that they've released a version of every game in the series for every console since the dawn of time (or at least since like the PS2) I'm wondering which versions are the most content-filled? From what I understand this may be the GameCube versions (at least for RE, RE2 and Nemesis), but then there are about 82 different releases of RE4 and Director's Cuts and Wiimakes (Wii remakes ^_^) and now I'm lost, confused, alone and naked.

Help a brother out, anyone? If you're into the Resi games, which versions of each of them has the most stuff in for me to do/shoot/solve?
freshmetal

Re: The Definitive Resident Evil

Post by freshmetal »

Hmmm... I haven't play RE since RE4 on the PS2, but if you're looking for quality, I would say the Gamecube remake of RE1 is a must. It retells the original story and adds some new areas and enemies to keep veterans of the PS1 game on their toes. As for RE4, I've heard that the Wii version is best as far as gameplay goes, but if you're into trophies and achievements, the PSN version supports trophies and has improved graphics.

I hope that's a little bit of help.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I've played every resident evil except gun survivor, the 3DS one, Operation Racoon City and Outbreak

Resident Evil 4 is pretty good and lengthy. With the Ada's quest add on (which comes with the PS2, Wii versions & PSN HD) it's got even more so I'd recommend one of those (Wii version is pretty but has wii mote controls which are sometimes annoying so your other choice is the PSN's HD version to get pretty and the extra quests). Plus it has good replay value if you want to buy the super guns.

The Resident Evil Remake for the Gamecube is the best version of the old games. Unfortunately it hasn't been ported anywhere else. It's pretty short though if you know what you're doing (at least there's a Jill quest and Chris quest), although slightly longer than the original version because they added a couple new areas and bosses.

Resident Evil 2 is very good although it doesn't have the polish of the Remake. The nice thing about it is that you play the story twice, once with Clare and once with Leon and can do it again in reverse order to get slightly different scenes and choices. Like what they did with Jill and Chris quest in 1 except you actually have more of an impact on the other version. Still, it's pretty short. The Gamecube "remake" for RE2 is not a remake but a port. Don't bother with it if you can get the PSX version, although slightly prettier it's not different enough (unlike the original's remake). It's available on the PSN.

If you're into co-op of course and don't actually want to be scared then RE 5 is very good. I actually am liking RE 6 even though the world seems to disagree with me. But I'd only play those two if you have someone there with you to play split screen co-op.

For my enjoyment I'd rate them in this order:
1. REmake 2. Resident Evil 4 PSN HD version 3. RE2

For most content
1. RE4 2. REmake 3. RE2

For best co-op
1. RE5 2. RE6
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Thanks both of you, both of your responses have been very helpful :-D
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Oh, and you did mention RE3. I don't know about you but I didn't care much for it. It's also on the PSN and I played it through just recently and tried to kill Nemi every time I saw him which added some more depth. But, it's really just too linear and I hate the ammo system with the powders. Plus there's only one quest, unlike RE1 and RE2.

Oh! and if you do play RE5 at all there's 2 DLCs. Get the Gold Edition to get them both. The Lost in Nightmares is a throw back to RE1 except with RE5 controls. It's so good. The other DLC is just a bunch of action and shooting and I hated it. I wish they'd make a whole game like Lost in Nightmares was *sigh*
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Oppenheimer pretty much summed it up.

Resident Evil 5 with a friend is really good fun. Especially if you play it on professional. Keeps you really pumped up and watching out for everything. I love it.

I'm yet to pick up Resident Evil 6 but I've seen enough from the critics to know that I'll just love it.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

That's great cheers guys. I think I'll probably play the first 3 on the GameCube then jump ship to the PS3/PSN. The likes of Code: Veronica X and Resident Evil 0 (and any other spinoffs that play like a true Resi game) - are there multiple versions of those too? And if so which are best for a completion freak like me?

EDIT: Typos!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Code Veronica is actually originally a Dreamcast game. It was ported to the PS2 and is also on the PSN now. I like it but then I like Clare a lot. It's actually super hard. There are two bosses (one on a plane and one in a blizzard on a helipad) that are extrodinarily frusteratingly difficult. Those kind of put a damper on the game. I like it otherwise though. I recommend just getting the PSN version. I don't even know if it's on the Gamecube. I like the human villian, I think he's fun. But then I like the narcissist type. It feels very much like a side story so I always forget about it.

RE0 was only on the Gamecube. I didn't really like it that much. I didn't like the two protagonists and found the plot dull. It has two players but I don't think it's even co-op which is a waste. I'd avoid it unless you're just dying to try everything.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Once again I thank you Oppenheimer, I'll be able to sleep at night again now...this kind of stuff really plays on my mind, I need to get out more O_o;;
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Speaking of spin-offs, I rather like Umbrella Chronicles myself. Sure the plot is condensed as hell and it will only really make sense if you've played the actual games but I like it. No idea how it would be to play on PS3 with a regular controller, felt like it kinda needed the Wiimote to be good and don't have a Move. Darkside Chronicles was bad though, especially the new scenario, though UC's new scenario is pretty horrid too.

Have considered getting 4 off PSN but I got really attached to how the Wii version controlled and I don't think they made any changes aside from the graphics thing and not sure I can adjust back to controller comfortably.

Oh, and 0 is available on the Wii. Maybe not in America?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Thanks Raww, I'm in the UK myself though so I'll have a little look into if 0 was released on Wii over here. Do most of those spinoffs play like a main series game? Cos I'm not too bothered about playing any of the rail shooters really.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Oh, and 0 is available on the Wii. Maybe not in America?
No, I think you're right. They did port 0 over to the wii. Good news is they actually ported the Remake over to the Wii as well. It's called: Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil. So I recommend picking that one up if you have a Wii and can't get the Gamecube version.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Are there any differences between the Gamecube and Wii versions? I only ask because the Wii can play GC discs, so if you have a Wii, either version is playable.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

They say there's some control scheme options. I don't know if that's waggle or something more useful.
Lemmy Claypool wrote:Thanks Raww, I'm in the UK myself though so I'll have a little look into if 0 was released on Wii over here. Do most of those spinoffs play like a main series game? Cos I'm not too bothered about playing any of the rail shooters really.
Not sure which ones you're referring to by spin-offs. Code veronica is just like any other game. The 3DS version is supposed to play very much like RE4 kind of camera. Of course there are the light gun games as Raww said, like Umbrella Chronicles. I played it and it was pretty good but definitely not like the core game at all except for plot. Never played UC2 though.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Yeah I just meant any of the games that aren't part of the numbered series really. Cos I did play Survivor on the PSX when it first came out and wasn't too fussed.