Other games apart from RPG genre that you've played.

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Other games apart from RPG genre that you've played.

Post by Sasarai10 »

Personally i've played a lot of platform games in my childhood like the Crash Bandicoot series (the first game was massive!),Rayman and Spyro the Dragon...and some fighting games like Tekken (3!!!) or Dead or Alive. :D

What about you? :?:
catfriedrice

Re: Other games apart from RPG genre that you've played.

Post by catfriedrice »

Besides my new-found sad addiction to Minecraft, I'm also into Zelda Classic (Which uses the original zelda game style and allows users to create their own worlds/levels/etc). Some people should be submitting ideas to Nintendo, genius works available.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I find JRPGS to be truly epic games, and most other games simply aren't worth purchasing.

Why buy some cheesy Assassin game that only lasts about 15 hours when I can get the next Disgaea, Final Fantasy, or hopefully Suikoden game that will give me more than my money's worth. They play out like a 60 hour grand cinema, you can't beat it.
Zerase

Post by Zerase »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:I find JRPGS to be truly epic games, and most other games simply aren't worth purchasing.

Why buy some cheesy Assassin game that only lasts about 15 hours when I can get the next Disgaea, Final Fantasy, or hopefully Suikoden game that will give me more than my money's worth. They play out like a 60 hour grand cinema, you can't beat it.
This is exactly how I feel. Most of my games are JRPGs and pretty much anything that isn't is either Karaoke or Dance/Rhythm. I do have a few Mario games but I don't have skill in platformers so I don't really purchase them much.
Zerase
Currently Playing: Suikoden II, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy XIII, Wild Arms
Recently Finished: Final Fantasy IX
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Eh, JRPGs are the genre I've played the least this generation due to a severe lack of time. Outside of Disgaea (a JRPG): Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and Mega Man sum up my biggest interests this generation.

I guess you could add Skyrim, but that's just one game. Sure, it has a ludicrous completion time that outdoes Disgaea, but it's still one game.
Formerly known as: Gothann
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I'm with LanceHeart. JRPGs the generations have been really disappointing. They were great on the PS1 and PS2, but now, they're just meh.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Mostly I'm a JRPG man, they're my favourite genre by a country mile, but I enjoy plenty of other kinds of games too. Shooters, action adventures, fighters, sandboxes, stealth games, platformers, survival horror, puzzles and party racers would probably just about sum it up.
Aerolithe Lion wrote:Why buy some cheesy Assassin game that only lasts about 15 hours when I can get the next Disgaea, Final Fantasy, or hopefully Suikoden game that will give me more than my money's worth.
Because other games can be just as rewarding and engaging as RPGs in their own right, if you're into that kind of thing :)
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:I find JRPGS to be truly epic games, and most other games simply aren't worth purchasing.

And JRPG's aren't cheesy? I've never had any JRPG play out like some kind of 60 hour grand cinema. Do you count battles? Then I want to see you sit in the cinema and wave a controller around when you watch a movie, if that's the case.

Assassins creed can be tons of fun if you're into that kind of game, the world is big and if you try to platinum it (or 100% it, depending on the console you're using) you'll spend a good time trying to get all of the trophies/achivements. Especially without a guide.

That said, I'm more into Borderlands 2 right now, now THAT is a game I've got my money's worth from.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

You berate my opinion and then substitute your own. You do remind me of the type who'd like those games
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Excuse me, what? I called you out on calling some stuff cheesy and then ignoring the cheese on all the JRPG's. Then you say I remind you of the type who like those games.

What games? Assassins Creed? Tons of people do.
Borderlands? Again, tons.

I like JRPG's, I really do. Some of my favorite games are just that. But to call them a 60-hour grand cinema is just lying to yourself.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I guess one could point to the single most overused character in Suikoden 2's dialogue to prove how cheesy and immature most JRPGs - even the "great classics" of the genre - can be: the exclamation point.

Many characters in the game use an inordinate amount of exclamation points every single time they're happy, angry, excited or afraid. That just reeks of cheesy, yet child-friendly and charming writing.

This pretty much sums up how often exclamation points were used instead of actually adding dramatic effect: https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/ ... 1_1280.jpg
Formerly known as: Gothann
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I'm sorry, but I'm with Hirathien. I too love a wide range of games. I put nearly 300 hours into Skyrim, enjoy Borderlands, Assassins Creed, several FPS games, and have been a die hard Mortal Kombat fan since middle school in the 90s. And of course, I enjoy RPGs and JRPGs. Why else would I be on a site devoted to Suikoden, my all time favorite game series.

But even I can admit that not every JRPG is gold. A lot of them can be a little too "anime-ish" and cheesy for my taste, and anyone that has played a Final Fantasy game in the last decade knows that they can be extremely convoluted.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Let's make sure we all remain civil here eh?

I also agree with freshmetal and Hirathien. Whilst I despise Call Of Duty, Halo, FIFA, The Elder Scrolls and Battlefield as much as the next elitist prick, I understand that (millions of) people do like these games and wouldn't belittle them for it. Besides, there are plenty of AAA titles that I do like, some of which are as maligned by the gaming elite as those I listed above.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I'm a big fan of Assassin's Creed. I find the story compelling and it's the first game I've played where fiction and reality is really blurred. Real locations, real people, historical accuracy, but with Assassin's Creed written in them.
It also encorporates my two favoruite conspiracy theories, Ancient Aliens and New World Order.
Assassin's Creed isn't just about assassinating people in historical periods. It's writing it's own history. It's re-writing our history. It's explaining the actions of Hitler, Napoleon, the existence of Jesus and so much more. There's so much to AC that are easily overlooked if you do not spend time on the game.

I have a few other franchies, such as Uncharted, FIFA/Pro Evo and Metal Gear Solid, but most of my collection is RPGs. Only with the current gen I've starte dplaying games outside RPGs.
I have random games here and there though
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

My main ting is RPGs. JRPGs if possible, but I enjoy western RPGs too. Although I believe the golden age of JRPGs is over. I'm working on my citizens happiness count to boost into another golden age.

Which is my segway into the other games I play. I like strategy games like Civilisation. I shamelessly enjoy the hack and slash of the Dynasty Warriors series. Shooters too, but I don't really like (and suck at) the more 'realistic' ones, and prefer like, Borderlands. I enjoy the Resistance series as they get quite creative with different weapons and such. I haven't got into Assassin's Creed yet but I am going to play them this summer. Honestly though, I play anything.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.