Other games apart from RPG genre that you've played.

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Xelinis

Re: Other games apart from RPG genre that you've played.

Post by Xelinis »

Aerolithe Lion wrote: Why buy some cheesy Assassin game that only lasts about 15 hours when I can get the next Disgaea, Final Fantasy, or hopefully Suikoden game that will give me more than my money's worth. They play out like a 60 hour grand cinema, you can't beat it.
...you haven't played Assassin's Creed, have you?
suiken

Post by suiken »

As much as I like the JRPG genre, todays lineup are pale in comparison to their predecessors. I'd rather play Grand Theft Auto than Disgaea, really. I'm ok with the anime design. What I don't like is the designers are trying to appeal to the "Moe fandom". They are making the characters look too cute. Another thing is the soundtrack. Modern JRPG soundtracks just doesn't appeal to me. Like the design, the sounds also trying to be too cute.

Anyway back to the topic. Aside from RPG's, I also play shooters like Resident Evil and Counter Strike. Like I mention, I also play Grand Theft Auto and some sports games. Fighting games are also one of my top genre in games. I pretty much played all the genres I guess?
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

I've always been basically into JRPG and Fighting games. I ve allways been into action games (and survival horrors back in psone times) too but unlike JRPG and Fighting games was not really a passion for the genre but a just a passion for some concrete games.

Now however I continue with the Fighting Games thing but now my main source of entertaining and passion are action games (sandboxes, 3rd person shooters) and western "rpg" (Elder of scrolls, Dragon age, Fallout, that kind of stuff).

I couldn't say if my tastes has changed or the industry has changed, I only know no console jrpg catch my eyes any more, the only jrpg that catch my eyes are for portable consoles and I don't like to play jrpgs on portable consoles.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Neclord X wrote:I've always been basically into JRPG and Fighting games. I ve allways been into action games (and survival horrors back in psone times) too but unlike JRPG and Fighting games was not really a passion for the genre but a just a passion for some concrete games.

Now however I continue with the Fighting Games thing but now my main source of entertaining and passion are action games (sandboxes, 3rd person shooters) and western "rpg" (Elder of scrolls, Dragon age, Fallout, that kind of stuff).

I couldn't say if my tastes has changed or the industry has changed, I only know no console jrpg catch my eyes any more, the only jrpg that catch my eyes are for portable consoles and I don't like to play jrpgs on portable consoles.
It's definitely a change in the industry. Hardware capabilities of the current and next gen consoles and PCs are going to make sandbox style games the dominant style imo.

Like you, I love JRPGs, but nothing this gen has really "wow"ed me in the genre. I hear a lot of talk about Ni No Kuni and I tried the demo, but I just can't get into it. It's just to "kiddy" for me. I want a JRPG with a badass protagonist, not a little kid. My favorite JRPG this gen was probably White Knight Chronicles, and even that one was a little bland with a very predictable cliche story. I just wish Konami would get Suikoden back on track or Square would take their heads out of their asses and make a decent Final Fantasy game.
PSN: FreshMetal80
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

suiken wrote:As much as I like the JRPG genre, todays lineup are pale in comparison to their predecessors. I'd rather play Grand Theft Auto than Disgaea, really. I'm ok with the anime design. What I don't like is the designers are trying to appeal to the "Moe fandom". They are making the characters look too cute. Another thing is the soundtrack. Modern JRPG soundtracks just doesn't appeal to me. Like the design, the sounds also trying to be too cute.
When you get over designs - which happens really quickly after the 20 hour main story is done - the Disgaea games open up to insane optimization and stat boosting to squeeze out better damage. That's the REAL 200+ hour fun of those games, not the otaku pandering.
Formerly known as: Gothann