Are there any games like Suikoden?

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Are there any games like Suikoden?

Post by Sasarai10 »

I've played all the games of the main series (except Tactics & Tierkreis),a couple of times,so i want to find a new RPG-series with different worlds/stories just for a change,but i want something like Suikoden.

I mean:

- Have over 50 playable characters.
- Have optional characters. In Suikoden Games,beside the story-based characters,you were able to recruit other characters too. I don't want a game were it has only 10 story-based characters,and no optional recruits :|
- Have a HQ were your characters are residing
- Have war campaigns,except the regural battles.
- Have Unite Attacks.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Xelinis

Re: Are there any games like Suikoden?

Post by Xelinis »

Except for the bit about having 50+ playable characters, Skies of Arcadia fits the bill.

In terms of a Suikoden-like plot and setting Radiant Historia is the most Suikoden-like game I know of.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I'm pretty sure there is a thread here discussing similar games.

One game that is certainly inspired by Suikoden is Infinite Space for DS.

Similarities:
- over 100 characters and a lot of them are optional
- a political driven story
- not a HQ,but you can put characters on certain positions on your ship (like medical officer, engineer etc)
- there is a melee-system which is very much like the Duel system or the War system from the first Suikoden

Non-similarities
- instead of a medieval-fantasy setting, the game is set in space in a futuristic setting
- the standard-gameplay is very different than Suikoden
- the RPG aspect of the game is very small

I think the Fire Emblem series might be for you, it has tons of characters, but is a tactics RPG.

Of course, the RPG-maker game Exit Fate is just like Suikoden in most of its gameplay aspects.

I also think that you can get a lot of characters in the Valkyrie Profile games (at least in 2 I think, I never played it more than 2 hours. On the DS-game, you can get a lot of characters, but there are no optional recruits iirc. Still, a great game)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a thread here discussing similar games.

One game that is certainly inspired by Suikoden is Infinite Space for DS.

Similarities:
- over 100 characters and a lot of them are optional
- a political driven story
- not a HQ,but you can put characters on certain positions on your ship (like medical officer, engineer etc)
- there is a melee-system which is very much like the Duel system or the War system from the first Suikoden

Non-similarities
- instead of a medieval-fantasy setting, the game is set in space in a futuristic setting
- the standard-gameplay is very different than Suikoden
- the RPG aspect of the game is very small

I think the Fire Emblem series might be for you, it has tons of characters, but is a tactics RPG.

Of course, the RPG-maker game Exit Fate is just like Suikoden in most of its gameplay aspects.

I also think that you can get a lot of characters in the Valkyrie Profile games (at least in 2 I think, I never played it more than 2 hours. On the DS-game, you can get a lot of characters, but there are no optional recruits iirc. Still, a great game)

Exit Fate!

I've read about this game,and it's almost like Suikoden (Suikoden 2 particularly),plus in some screenshots,i've noticed some famillar places from S2.

But this game is only downloadable right? I tried to download it once,but without success,if it's possible could you please send me a PM,in order to help me? :D

Fire Emblem series,seems very good too,with many recruits as i've seen in wikipedia...but i've never played a tactics RPG,so i don't know a lot about this genre. :|
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Most of Nippon Ichi's SRPGs, including the Disgaea series, would fit your bill too;

HQs (though you won't see your recruits setting up shop, there are still vassal NPCs that make the place seem populated)
Recruit, create or capture subordinates to your heart's content (optional and story-based)
Combo attacks
No variation from SRPG battles, but each game (Disgaea 1-4, La Pucelle Tactics, Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom and Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) each have several variations to the formula and are all extremely addictive and different to one another
Excellent light-hearted-yet-epic storylines that are brilliantly written and translated, seriously can't commend the plots of these games enough

If you're not familiar with SRPGs though I wouldn't start with Nippon Ichi, their games are all seriously vast. Some good entry level SRPGs to play beforehand and familiarise yourself with the genre first would be Vandal Hearts, Final Fantasy Tactics and Suikoden Tactics (of course).
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

just type exit fate on google and go directly to its website for the download, at least thats what I did not too long ago, It just didnt impress me because the game mechanics don't seem to be interesting(this is the most important thing to me), as I havent played much so no comment about gameplot and progression.

Check out these games as well:

-Chrono Cross: 40+ playable chars, unique battle systems. About half are optional characters. Got a few unite attacks. you can start with this one since it's the most simple game among those I state here.

-Majin tensei, Personna 2 Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, megaten strange journey, nocturne, devil survivor 1&2, there're about 80+ personas/demons with different set of parameters, skills, evolution,fusions to customize your party with with. Got unite attacks between personas.

-The last remnant, gorgeous graphic and effects, they remind me of FF13 interface while playing it. Huge pool of characters(more than any suikoden game) for choice from regular soldiers to generic leaders to unique leaders. Most characters are optional LOL. The battle system would be perfect if they could reduce a bit of random luck factor, otherwise great game for customizations. It actually has 2 unite attacks in game. You should leave this one for last since it's the most complicated to grasp without reading mechanics guide. If you play it the same way you play other RPG, grind for more power, then you fail.

-Romancing saga 3, Saga frontier, share most traits with the last remnant but worse graphic since they were released much earlier

-...You haven't checked suikoden tierkreis out, right?

-Sengoku Rance, a great turn base strategy combine with dungeon crawler style,full of optional major characters, generic recruits are all over place. It fits all your crtiteria and much more, but don't have any unite attacks. A game with the most missables I've seen, possibly. There're 1 main story for the 1st playthrough and 5 more different storylines available from NG+. New game playmode will become available as well give it extremely high newgame+ value. However, it has a huge drawback : sengoku rance is an eroge game.

-Valkyrie profiles..uhm more action based than other games .

Tactic games:

-Eien no aselia: sword of infinity. Good games, fits most of your criteria but there's no unite attacks and requires english patch since there's no official US/Europe version. The game got about 10 endings, each ending branch leads to big difference in both end game story and a certain character in battle. An unique character unlocked at super hard mode.
-Final Fantasy tactics series, stella deus..etc..they are all tactic games. alot of generic and optional chars, there're some secret & unique characters as well.
TheNewTeddy

Post by TheNewTeddy »

Sasarai10 wrote:I've played all the games of the main series (except Tactics & Tierkreis),a couple of times,so i want to find a new RPG-series with different worlds/stories just for a change,but i want something like Suikoden.

I mean:

- Have over 50 playable characters.
- Have optional characters. In Suikoden Games,beside the story-based characters,you were able to recruit other characters too. I don't want a game were it has only 10 story-based characters,and no optional recruits :|
- Have a HQ were your characters are residing
- Have war campaigns,except the regural battles.
- Have Unite Attacks.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Chrono Cross has like 35 or so characters and half of them are optional.
In Breath of Fire 2, 3, and 4 you can build a "hometown" or "fairie village". It's not exactly like the castle, (in 3 and 4 you don't reside there) but, its far more customizable.
Chrono Trigger (and cross) has Unite attacks.

edit -
A fair warning though, Chrono Cross is a "base breaker". I'm sure there are some people who are 'fine' with it, but it's one of those games you either love or hate with about equal numbers on both sides.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You can also have a ant village in Breath of Fire V. It's nearly the same as the fairie villages in the other games of the series. But you only have 3 characters (but it's the best of the series imo)
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I'm surprised no one mentioned Azure Dreams.

It's a game about hunting monster eggs and finding your way to the top of a tower to gain riches and fame. There's many different monsters and you can fuse them together to create a mix of the two. Rather interesting concept.

In the same game you're also building structures in town and you can get together with a handful of women (heard rumors about being able to get together with a Man too but I've yet to confirm this).

The game is for PSX, rather rare though.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ah yeah, I only played the GBC Version with is heavily downgraded. Is it that rare? I'm pretty sure you can get it for a moderate price on ebay.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well, truth be told I didn't actually check anything before I wrote it, but I remember seeing it in a store in Sweden for 1100 SEK (roughly 170 dollars or 110 euro).
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I looked on ebay now, used copies go for maybe 15€ in auctions, don't know if the price might differ in NA.

Anyway, I already liked the GBC Port even though a lot of features were removed (iirc it's a pure dungeon crawler now). There is also an informal sequel for the DS, Tao's Adventure, which also doesn't have the city-build options.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Now i've donloaded Exit Fate 2 days ago,and it's a very nice game imo. It looks like Suikoden...for example Harliton and Blackwater are like Muse and Radat respectively
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Hirathien wrote:I'm surprised no one mentioned Azure Dreams.
I thought about games where we have to raise monsters but for some reasons can't really think of them as regular RPGs to recommend, perhaps that's a problem to do with my personal perception. But if that kind also counts then there're some other games I would list : Pokemon, digimon, monster seed, zoids series, jade cocoon