Skies of Arcadia HD?

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Skies of Arcadia HD?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

SEGA has apparently renewed their trademark for Skies of Arcadia, possibly indicating that they'll be rereleasing it as part of their SEGA Heritage series.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489669

I loved this game on the Dreamcast, and the Gamecube version was even better and I'll jump on the chance to bring SoA with me on the PS3 when I retire my Wii. Hopefully it will have the extras from the GC version if true.

Suikoden Trivia: Kazuyoshi Tsugawa - scenario writer for Suikoden V also wrote Skies of Arcadia.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Xelinis

Re: Skies of Arcadia HD?

Post by Xelinis »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Suikoden Trivia: Kazuyoshi Tsugawa - scenario writer for Suikoden V also wrote Skies of Arcadia.
I remember this being a big deal when Suikoden V was first announced. However, I've combed the Skies of Arcadia credits roughly a dozen times now (both the GC version as well as the Dreamcast one, just to be on the safe side) and I still can't find his name anywhere in it.

As far as I know, there's no official record tying him to SOA. While I can definitely see some thematic similarities between the games, this bugs me.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Please temper your expectations. Skies of Arcadia came out so long ago that the trademark was on the verge of expiring altogether, which is the more likely reason why they renewed it.

Renewals aren't exactly the same as new applications: the former are done specifically because you have no intention of using the trademark, but want to keep it/protect it without publishing anything under that name.
Last edited by LanceHeart on Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Edit: Okay, I asked Tsugawa on twitter if he wrote the scenario for Eternal Arcadia to settle this for certain and he said he "helped with the battle system, but was not involved with writing the scenario". So he worked on the game but didn't write it, there we have it straight from the horse's mouth. Confusion must have arisen somewhere since he lists his job as Scenario Writer in general.

Edit 2: In case my translation sucked, feel free to double-check: エターナルアルカディアでは、私は戦闘システムの設計をお手伝いしただけで、シナリオには関わっていませんでした。
Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I'd LOVE to play this game, but it's one of the more expensive games on ebay.