Resident Evil 6

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Rooks

Resident Evil 6

Post by Rooks »

I am not sure I can call myself a Resident Evil fan, as survival horror was done much better back in the days of Alone in the Dark, and later in Silent Hill. But I did enjoy RE 1-3 and code veronica for what they were: cheesy, but loveable B-movies with lots of puzzles and ambiance. Resident Evil 4 is one of my favorite shooters of that era, but make no mistake, Capcom left survival horror behind in favor of a smoother gameplay. What did not change with RE4 was the delightful camp of the story and plot, with Leon Kennedy spouting bad one-liners from the game's opening scene all the way through to the end. With villains that either look like Neo and David Bowie's emo love child, or Napoleon with Zombie Plague Syndrome, what else would you expect.

Then RE5 came along. . . The series tried so hard to be taken seriously for what I felt was the first time, and it failed, hard. Protagonist Chris Redfield obviously buffed up on the steroids after Code Veronica, and that was honestly the most believable part of the game. RE Creator Shinji Makami left Capcom after RE4, and the series has not been the same since. The cheesy dialogue of the previous games replaced by the generic self-aggrandizing tripe found in Michael Bay films. Gameplay was considerably weaker than RE4, not to mention a much shorter play time. And the fact that we now were called to take the Neo/Bowie love child seriously, just made it a terrible experience.

Now, at E3 2012, the RE 6 release date has been reveled, along with a new trailer and details about the game. RE 2 and 4 professional protagonist Leon S. Kennedy will be back, as will RE 1 and 5 leading man, Chris Redfield, who apparently is still struggling with his steroid addiction. Sherry Birkin with return as well, now all grown up from RE2, and paling around with Bowie/Neo's son, of all things.

Interviews with the game's staff promise: "The story is intricately designed with intense drama, realism, and surprising plot twists." Oh dear, here we go again. It would be one thing if I read this off the the back of the box, it is another coming from the mount of the game's director, Eiichiro Sasaki. It does not seem that he wants to return to the campy, B-movie Resident Evil, but instead wants to forge ahead with the "realism" that made RE 5 such a bad game. I just want to shoot zombies while quipping one-liners in between solving puzzles, I do not want the series to try to be something it is not.

How do you folks feel about Resident Evil?
Hirathien

Re: Resident Evil 6

Post by Hirathien »

Shooting zombies and quipping one-liners? I don't remember much of this happening in Resident Evil 1-5. Some parts, sure. But you make it sound like every dead zombie equals some one-liner.

I do remember one in Resident Evil 1 though, when Barry saved Jill from the descending roof and said she almost turned into a Jill sandwich.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Uh, I said that it happens in RE4. RE5 did not have any of that, which is kinda my point. Leon kept spouting these really bad dialogue lines throughout RE4: "You guys didn't tag along just so we could sing Kumbaya together around a boyscout campfire. Then again, maybe you did." that is from the opening scene. It is hard to find a cutscene in the game where he does not say something that would seem witty if the audience were twelve years old. RE 1 was especially bad, but in a different way: the localization and voice acting was terrible, and I have no way of knowing if things were more serious in the original, but to me it seems like just a bad translation.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I have been a resident evil fan since the very beginning. I've played every game (including Zero and the Remake) except the light gun variations (but I have read up on the plot of those). Oh, and I don't have a 3DS yet so I haven't played Revelations. I have to say that I haven't disliked any numbered resident evil. The only one I was at all disappointed with was Resident Evil 3 and I'm not sure why. For some reason it didn't have the same spark, seemed like they were just rehashing rather than doing anything new.

But, I did like Resident Evil 4 a lot. It's one of the few games since the SNES/PSX generation that I played more than once. I also bought it both on the Gamecube and again on the PS2 in order to get Ada's quest and that fun ray gun.

I liked 5 as well, although not quite as much, the co-op made the difference. It was a lot of fun to play alongside my boyfriend. I'm excited that RE6 is going to continue this idea. The actual plot and characters weren't as good but then I never liked Chris that much and they only beefed him up even more. I liked Leon because he was somewhat more intellectual and I always enjoy playing as the ladies because games rarely ever later you do that (although it's much more common in survival horror for whatever reason).

I haven't seen too much of RE6 but I've heard reports ranging from "it's a return to scary" to "it looks like gears of war" so I don't know what to think. I'll buy it when it comes out and we'll see.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Will be fun to see how the Co-op will be this time around, I loved being able to play Resident Evil 5 with friends, if I can do the same in 6, then I will be one happy salmon.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

One major thing I did not like about RE5 was the forced co-op. It is a good game to play with friends, though puzzles are a bit tedious with two people, but the AI on Sheva was simply terrible if you could not get anyone to play with you.

I can see why you would feel that way about RE 3, though. You had to play as Jill the entire time, as opposed to having different characters like in other RE games. Also, there just was not much innovation between RE 1 and 3, so it could get tedious.

I did play RE 4 multiple times, too. It was rewarding because it was so hard.

Reports on what RE 6 will be are all over the place. Though, I think it is a missed opportunity for them to not add some survival horror back into the series, as the Silent Hill games have been lackluster at best lately, and the last good survival horror game I played was Amnesia: the Dark Descent.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Resident Evil 3 had you play as Carlos when Jill gets infected though. So it's not her all the time. Was just rather dull when you moved around and you heard "STARS" followed by a roar. He was easy to avoid so there wasn't anything scary with Nemesis, sadly.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Resident Evil 5's co-op is the one thing that prevented me from liking it. I don't always have someone to play with me, and the game's AI controlled partner was legally retarded. If RE6 is going to force co-op play like that again, I'm gonna pass on it, which is sad because it looks great.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I wouldn't say it was that bad, I managed to complete it with the AI on Professional, it was a rough time but it could be done. Then again, Professional on it's own is rough...
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

If it does have forced Co-Op, it will likely be small sections of the game, as many places (at least judging from footage I've seen) just seem to have Chris or Leon running around. Sherri Birkin, as depicted by the E3 trailer, is left handed, a clue that there me be some co-op sections, or perhaps one scenario that is co-op. But I doubt it will be the entire game.

Also, there has been no mention of Co-Op in Capcom's statements about the game that I am aware of. Though, they have said the game blends action with survival horror. Though what that means is debatable.
kratoscar2008

Post by kratoscar2008 »

Resident Evil is dead to me im better playing pre RE4 titles and the OUTBREAK series.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

It is interesting you mention that, as RE 6 is directed by the same guy that directed Outbreak, Eiichiro Sasaki. I have only played the numbered games in the series, and never played Outbreak, can you elaborate on why you liked it?
kratoscar2008

Post by kratoscar2008 »

Rooks wrote:It is interesting you mention that, as RE 6 is directed by the same guy that directed Outbreak, Eiichiro Sasaki. I have only played the numbered games in the series, and never played Outbreak, can you elaborate on why you liked it?
First it has the classic RE gameplay with great additions like shooting while moving.
The characters arent specialized in survival skills they are average joes trying to survive.

The coop gameplay is very fun even offline, you could pass the game solo but is when you cooperate the the other characters where the game is really fun.

Zombies attacks you everytime and everywere making you think any desicion carefully as they can open doors, and you have to worry about pursuers like Axe man or Leech Man wich makes the game more interesting.

I really like this game, i hope that Crapcom decides to release File 1 and 2 in HD or File 3.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Hirathien wrote:Will be fun to see how the Co-op will be this time around, I loved being able to play Resident Evil 5 with friends, if I can do the same in 6, then I will be one happy salmon.
I felt the same way. Although a different experience then previous Resident Evil games because of this I found myself really enjoying playing co-op with my fiancee.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

So, I might pre-order this one, pretty much just for this:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/resident-e ... la-6388530