Gears Of War 3

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Lemmy Claypool

Gears Of War 3

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Anybody else here play? Being the completionist freak that I am, I can't play a game without completing and/or unlocking everything it has to offer, and the geniuses down at Epic have seen fit to make this a living nightmare for people like me by making the process for unlocking one particular character skin unnecessarily complex.

For anyone interested or not in the know; to unlock the Savage Theron skin one has to complete all 12 waves of Beast Mode on Insane difficulty without failing a wave. This is very hard - insane, even - so a full party of 5 is pretty much essential (I've tried this with friends but as only myself and two others are half-competent at Gears, our 3 man team was only able to do it after dying multiple times on a few of the waves). But it gets even more arbitrary; this can only be done in a private party, as it's not possible to change the difficulty for casual multiplayer.

I realise that the above will make about one iota of sense to anyone unfamiliar with the game, but basically I'm looking to recruit four more players to help me unlock the Savage Theron, obviously anyone doing this will also unlock the skin if they haven't already. If anyone is interested, then let me know and post your gamertag, send it to me in private, ask me for mine or whatever.

Also, please use this space to discuss the Gears franchise, but if you try to subvert my recruitment drive I will kill you in the neck. Until dead.

Cheers :)
killerslime

Re: Gears Of War 3

Post by killerslime »

I play Gears 3 pretty much every night, i might have even played you before.

I have all but one Onyx badge for Beast mode, Beast Rider FTW! I play it about as much as team death match but I need that skin as well so if your still looking for members add me.

My gamer tag is 'Dopeygilgamesh'.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Cheers mate I'll add you when I get home later on :D

My GT is Megatherium420.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Cool see you there.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Never got chance to add you last night bud sorry, will do so tonight. Which time zone are you playing in? Makes it easier to arrange when to do this knowing where everyone playing is based ha.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

No worries mate. I'm in England, where are you? By the way, Beast is much easier to complete on small closed levels like 'Checkout' and far harder on big open levels like 'Sandbar'. Do you have Forces of Nature DLC?
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Also England, so that makes things easier! Yeah I have Forces Of Nature, haven't actually played on any of the maps yet though, any you'd recommend? When I tried with my friends we played on Checkout and did manage to do it, just not without failing a few of the waves first. Cole with a Boomshot is the bane of my life.
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

lol, Cole's Boomshot and Sam's Flame Grenades are the two things to look out for the most. Raven Down would be the best choice because it's tiny. I usually play after seven.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Sounds good mate, we'll give it a couple more days to see if anyone else from here is game and arrange a playdate eh?
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

Yeah cool, i usually play with my brother so thats another space filled.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Great stuff man, even if nobody else here is interested there's 5 of us right there if my mates are up for it again.
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

I played for a while and then lost interest after being blasted in the face with a shotgun too many times... I wasn't blessed with skill in this game unfortunately.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I've never played the game. It just seems to brutish to me. I prefer my protagonists to be a bit intelligent.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

AlOnZo wrote:I played for a while and then lost interest after being blasted in the face with a shotgun too many times... I wasn't blessed with skill in this game unfortunately.
It is very much that kind of game in competetive multiplayer I'm afraid. When playing against people online I tend to be little more than a moving target, but the likes of Horde and Beast mode (where you play with people against AI) really become quite addictive fun.
Oppenheimer wrote:I've never played the game. It just seems to brutish to me. I prefer my protagonists to be a bit intelligent.
I once read somewhere that Gears games are a "basass simulator" and I'm inclined to agree. Obviously a game in which you blow guys apart with overpowered shotguns, maim them with chainsaw rifles, open every door with a hefty kick and follow every brutal murder with a witty one-liner aint for everyone and borders on ridiculous, but by god do I love it. Moreso than that though, I find the gameplay to be totally addictive.

Growing up I was always a fan of the FPS; Doom, Wolfenstein and Unreal Tournament are some of my favourite series' of all time, but I find the genre too CODified now. I've yet to enjoy a single COD game outside of that Nazi zombie expansion for whichever one that was for. So I just found the TPS action of the first Gears a breath of fresh air, the cover system was brand new to me at the time and I found it just added heaps more fun. Followed the series ever since.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yeah, I'd prefer to have a game make me feel like a cunning strategist than a bad ass who spews one liners. But, Gears has many fans so clearly you're not alone.