The Elder Scrolls

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Chris_Lightfellow

The Elder Scrolls

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Anyone else play? Right now, Skyrim has consumed my life. I got it for Christmas after watching my guy play it and holy crap. I've played it everyday since. I can't stop, it's just so awesome.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Hirathien

Re: The Elder Scrolls

Post by Hirathien »

Played Morrowind and Oblivion before Skyrim, gotta say, Skyrim is my favorite, just slightly beating Morrowind. It's a good game, got good replay value. The only thing I'm a bit dissapointed in, is that it wasn't very hard. Arguably, there is a difficulty setting, but still.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I've played Skyrim and I don't like it that much. It's unfocused and repetitive, and the little story there is silly and all the damn bugs get annoying fast.

I know it's Bethesda so if it wasn't bugged it was probably outsourced, but at this point it's like QA is bad word over there.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Some of the bugs and glitches slowed me down recently.

xbox or ps3?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

PS3. Don't have an XBOX cause I can't justify it when most games are multi-platform anyway and the few exclusives I can either live without or they just don't interest me. I'm also afraid of it RLODing.

Irony is of course that I'm now on my third PS3 :roll:
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Ah too bad. Need some xbox friends :)

Never had the ring. But I had to swap the drive quite recently.

Back to topic: I think I will attend to skyrim again sooner or later, but for the moment I'm looking forward to other games.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Heh, I got both Xbox 360 and PS3. My friend has Skyrim for PS3 and I got it for the 360, what we gathered is that the game run better on mine, smoother even. He started the game before I did, with like five seconds ahead of me. I managed to get past him, before you're even given control or anything. It was a bit weird.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I've got it for the 360 and surprisingly have encountered little to no bugs. Not sure how it happened and I'm definitely not complaining.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

PC player here. It's by far the best Elder Scrolls game. So far I haven't seen many quest breaking glitches, but I don't really mind since I can fix them with the command console anyway.

I will say that I'm disappointed in the "radiant quest" system, though. It's literally based on talking to the wrong people while doing the main quest line of the faction you're helping, which doesn't happen much if you rely on map markers. Cooking being completely useless is also another thing I don't care for, though it's still fun to try and make the best dish in the entire game.

My worst fear is actually based on each successive patch. After Bethesda's first real patch (1.2) broke the entire game's resistances due to a coding error (someone wrote Resistence instead of Resistance somewhere in the source code), I've been extremely wary of each successive one.
Formerly known as: Gothann
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:I've played Skyrim and I don't like it that much. It's unfocused and repetitive, and the little story there is silly and all the damn bugs get annoying fast.

I know it's Bethesda so if it wasn't bugged it was probably outsourced, but at this point it's like QA is bad word over there.
What Elder Scrolls game isn't bugged or repetitive in some way?

I think Skyrim was a nice upgrade to Oblivion. The leveling system is no longer as broken, the dungeons and what not are a more unique than the repetitive ones scattered across Cyrodil in Oblivion.

Currently in Skyrim, which I was neglecting for Mass Effect 2, I am a level 63 nord. Doing the civil war subplot and sided with the Imperials. Ulfric just seems like a power hungry mad man who is very selfish and narrow-minded.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

What Elder Scrolls game isn't bugged or repetitive in some way?
Ah, yes, cause egregious flaws are perfectly fine as long as all games in the series contains the same egregious flaws.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I played Skyrim and got an Archer/Conjuration/Light Armor-Wood Elf up to 53rd level or whatever and finished the main line quest and all the faction quests. Then I started an One-Handed/Smithing/Heavy Armor-Orc but I got bored after about 20th level.

I liked it but not as much as a lot of people. I do prefer to have a bit more linearity. The plot was kind of silly but I didn't mind it so much. It's pretty standard fare for fantasy games these days.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I can forgive the bugs most of the time. There's so much going on in the game, and so many optional quests and alternative paths you can take, that I'd be surprised if the developers accounted for everything. Some of them are ridiculous, though. It's nearly impossible to finish that "Amulet of Talos/Temple of the Divines" quest properly, because there are about 10 ways you can do the tasks involved in it, and they only allowed for the most linear and least likely path. And that guy that leads you through that Vaermina quest in Dawnstar always freezes up on me. He wants me to follow him to the library, then he just stands there limbering his shoulder muscles forever, even if I use the console to move him right in front of the door. I've done that quest four times now, including twice when I started new games just to run right to it at the first opportunity, and the only way I can complete it is to keep standing in his personal space, so he slowly backs up the stairs to the door.

I'm not even sure what about the game appeals to me. I guess I just love grinding and trying different builds. I love the open world, and I like that some of the simple Radiant quests sort of let you fill in a story around them. However, in the primary quest, where actual effort was made, the story is really light, and pretty silly. Even in the Radiant quests that attempt stories, you're mostly doing things because you're told to, or because they'll stay in your journal forever if you don't. Even so, I invested way too much time in it a few weeks back, and I keep hoping the mod community will produce some quests with rich stories to them.

Oh, and half the game's "story" content and other features are in the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood quest lines. That's bunk as far as I'm concerned. If I want to play a good-hearted character, I shouldn't have to join the damn Thieves' Guild to find out about the Stones of Barenziah, or other little random things that pop up. And everybody in Riften keeps wishing somebody would get rid of the guild, but there's no quest to do it, and all the NPCs are marked essential, so you can't even dream one up without using the console or becoming a wanted man. Even the Companion's quest line feels sort of morally ambiguous. I haven't found out if you can join the Vigil of Stendarr yet, but they're basically an inquisition going by what I've heard out of them. Most of the game, I feel like I'm doing nothing but searching for an honest man.

<Spoiler>Speaking of "silly" stories, and the Thieves' Guild, why the hell is Karliah's master plan to beat Mercer selling your souls for all eternity to a Daedra in exchange for some leather armor? I was smithing and enchanting stuff better than what that Daedric Lord was handing out. Why would I want to sell my soul for it? Supposedly, you also get the Daedra's favor, and "hopefully that will give us the edge", but that's pretty thin. Especially since the whole reason you can't get any powers from her is because her power can't enter the world without the key, so I guess her "favor" is just a hearty cheer now and then. I'd be perfectly willing to take my chances killing Mercer in my custom-made Dragonscale and with only the favor of two swords that do ridiculous amounts of damage. Usually, the authors at least take the trouble to come up with a reason why the bad guy is invincible without the power of Anubis's Ancient Coprolite, or something. Karliah eventually mentions some bunk about the key "unlocking the potential of the human mind", but Mercer never uses his awesome acuity to do anything, but sound grumpy and stab things. Basically he was a guy who could break locks, and who died in two hits.</spoiler>

Edited by Chris Lightfellow to better hide spoiler
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I recently bought Skyrim via the Steam sale. And honestly I got to agree with Raww here. The bugs have been largely edited out as far as I can tell, we are up to patch 1.6x on the PC now, so as long as you do not load yourself down with mods you are fine.

But the combat feels so clunky and unintuitive, the characters are bland, while endless quest strings I find to be lazy game-making.

I do like the expansive world, and the soundtrack is great, but for me, I need to be engaged on an intellectual level more to find it fun. I mean, why do you think I am such a Suikoden fan?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I've played oblivion and liked it a lot. I especially like the strange small villages located out in the middle of nowhere. I pretty much ignored the main plot and did whatever I felt like.