Star Wars: The Old Republic

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Oppenheimer »

Is anyone else playing this game? It's the first time I've played an MMO but I do love Bioware and am really enjoying the plot of this one. Plus it's nice to be able to play an RPG like this co-op with my boyfriend.

Granted, there are some trappings of MMOs that I don't like, such as having other people complete objectives right in front of me so I have to wait for them to respawn so I can do them. It's so dumb, if the guy I'm hunting was killed by someone else in my sight I should be able to say "Quest Complete!" not sit around for 5 minutes so I can do it personally.

I've got a 40th level Gunslinger and a 20th level bounty hunter and a 20th level Sith Inquisitor and a 15th level Jedi Knight.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I am about the same, I started playing it too. It's my first serious MMO. I really enjoyed Kotor 1 & 2, and I like the storyline in this new game. I don't like paying monthly charges, so we'll see how long it last. But I like the game so far.

I got a lv42 Jedi Sentinel, lv25 Sage, and lv12 Inquisitor.
Last edited by suiko2fan2 on Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Playing it, Got a Jedi Guardian at level 26 and a Sith Marauder at 18. Too bad my PC can't run it well, otherwise I'd spend so much time with it.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I have not played it, but it does seem that BioWare (Austin), the people responsible for content and management of the game are laying off employees. Personally, I am not a fan of Star Wars (being employed by the movie industry during the releases of Episodes I, II, and III virtually guarantees that) nor am I a fan of BioWare or MMOs in general, but all the same, it is sad to see what could be the only viable contender for WoWs throne in such difficult times like this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Workforce

Though, Blizzard recently laid off many support and non-development employees, it may be that the MMO business is just that volatile.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, it is sad. However, it isn't unusual at all. The video game industry in general seems like a terrible place in terms of having a long term career at one location. It seems like everyone in that industry is hired for a game and then laid off again once it's out. I guess even MMOs, which have a regular income, are not exempt.

Subscriber numbers are definitely down. My boyfriend and I are still playing as we really enjoy the class story lines. We have finished Sith Inquisitor, Sith Warrior, Jedi Consular and Smuggler complete to level 50. We are still playing Bounty Hunt and Imperial Agent. I just started a Republic Commando and Sean started a Jedi Knight. We don't play much in the way of end game as we are just in it for the plot. I can see us getting bored once all the class story lines are done and unsubbing but in the meantime there's still many hours of plot to go.

But then we're not your average MMO players. I think people looking for a WOW like end game grind or PVP are dissapointed because the focus was put on the voice acting and story. But luckily that's what I'm interested in so I'm quite happy with the game with only a few exceptions.