Just marathoned Suiko 1-5 then tierkries... What now?

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
damican

Just marathoned Suiko 1-5 then tierkries... What now?

Post by damican »

Well I was bored so I decided to have a suikodenthon of sorts. After playing and beating them all with 108 stars of love and peace, I am now bored again! Look at the PS2 and NDS systems for what to play. Any suggestions? No japanese games without translation also please. Got tired of that after Super robot taisen.
Belle

Re: Just marathoned Suiko 1-5 then tierkries... What now?

Post by Belle »

Depends on what you're into! Do you just enjoy RPGs, or are you open to other genres?
damican

Post by damican »

eh mainly RPG's I reckon I've played most em. So whatever is suggested will likely be a repeat but thats fine.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Play Infinite Space on NDS, it has a great story and has some Suikoden feeling to it. It's one of the longest handheld games I've ever played, but check out if you like the battle system...
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

Try Radiata Stories on the PS2, it's a perfect blend of humor and serious story with a fun battle system and over 180 characters to recruit.
כל העולם כולו גשר צר מאוד, והעיקר - לא לפחד כלל
All the world is a very narrow bridge, the most important thing is not to be afraid.
- R' Nachman
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

I just completed my friends list on radiata 4 days ago :D
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

Xenogears.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Grandia series.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

gildedtalon wrote:I just completed my friends list on radiata 4 days ago :D
Awesome! I've played through a few times but just can't bring myself to do anything other than the Human Path. The characters are just too awesome :mrgreen:

Grandia (series) and Xenogears are excellent suggestions also. Throw in Breath of Fire (series) and Legend of Dragoon and you've got some of the best PSX RPGs under your belt.
All the world is a very narrow bridge, the most important thing is not to be afraid.
- R' Nachman
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

You should also check out Wild Arms, never played the second so I can't tell if that's any good. The PS2 games of said series, I didn't find to be worth it, so I won't recommend them, but if you feel obliged to, check them out too.
damican

Post by damican »

Hmm I forgot about radiata... If I can find it I'm definitely going to play through it.
Freak

Post by Freak »

The first Grandia didn't leave much of an impression on me, but Grandia 2 was hilarious. I loved the snarky protagonist. I made sure to talk to every NPC multiple times because his comments on everything were just too funny. :) One problem with the game is that it is completely linear and there are literally no sidequests whatsoever.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Darkbeat wrote:Awesome! I've played through a few times but just can't bring myself to do anything other than the Human Path. The characters are just too awesome :mrgreen:
Which characters are you using on human path? I need suggestions to beat ethereal queen without using valkyrie. I know elwen is mandatory, who else?
Darkbeat

Post by Darkbeat »

gildedtalon wrote:
Darkbeat wrote:Awesome! I've played through a few times but just can't bring myself to do anything other than the Human Path. The characters are just too awesome :mrgreen:
Which characters are you using on human path? I need suggestions to beat ethereal queen without using valkyrie. I know elwen is mandatory, who else?
I've tried most characters, obviously the most popular (non-Valkyrie) characters are Elwen, Kain and Nyx and to be fair they are probably the most effective for Ethereal Queen. That said, it comes down to preference a lot.

Personally I find Fernando to be superior to Nyx in every way, indeed, probably the third best character in the game after Valkyrie and Elwen. Two more often overlooked choices are Natalie and Alicia, who attack really quickly doing some of the best damage over time in the game and have status effects (Alicia's low HP makes her a liability against E-Queen, however).

Many people choose Miranda over Kain as she can cure status effects (while Kain, Elwen and Nyx are immune to them, Jack isn't).

If you want a mage, Genius is the best.

Really by that point in the game, Jack is enough of a powerhouse to do it with any (non-farmer :mrgreen: ) team. But I'd recommend at least one guild leader and that being so it has to be Elwen.

tl;dr:
Jack, Elwen, Kain, Nyx or Jack, Elwen, Miranda, Fernando, whatever suits.

On topic:
Chrono Cross is another excellent suggestion. Many characters to recruit, mind-numbing story, plenty of things to do and a rather epic soundtrack.
- R' Nachman
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

How come Fernando is superior? He likes to cast that worthless blizzard and always starts the battle by casting it