No Valkyria Chronicles 3 for baka gaijins

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
LanceHeart

Re: No Valkyria Chronicles 3 for baka gaijins

Post by LanceHeart »

I didn't really want to go back to this, but I have to clarify:

I know very well how Valkyria Chronicles is a redo of World War I (more I than II, due to the distinct lack of aircraft and focus on fortifying trenches) and Final Fantasy Tactics is based on The War of the Roses (the subtitle of the game is The War of the Lions).

I also used prototypical because FFT came out at a time when Japanese anime and games hadn't named and clearly defined character traits like tsundere and shota in the way we now know them. Their application in Japanese media since their identification has steadily become far more obvious and sometimes a caricature of the terms' iconic characters. It doesn't help that the Valkyria Chronicles anime heavily accentuated (and in some cases changed) many characters' predominant character trait.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Rooks

Re: No Valkyria Chronicles 3 for baka gaijins

Post by Rooks »

Well, I suppose it can make sense to use it that way. Whatever, sometimes I just let the fact that I am an English major get the better of me, sorry.

In any even, we are off topic now, so here I go talking about VC. Really I enjoyed the first game. One reason was because of its difficulty, I did not have too tough a time with the missions, but rather getting the highest rank with each mission. That really added a nice difficulty that was challenging, but not frustrating.

I have not played VC2, and I doubt that I will. When you hear -universally- that a game is terrible, and even a travesty to the original, then it is a good bet that is so.

Sega is in a rather precarious position now, and how they act could determine the fate of the company. Localizing a mediocre game to a largely dead system is not a good idea for them. Though, worth noting is that the PSVita is, at this point, faring even worse in Europe than the supposedly dead PSP system. That is, that Sony is still selling more PSPs than Vitas. Though, one can expect this to turn around later, as Sony will likely drop the price in the Vita just as Nintendo did to the 3DS.

But in all this, Sega just cannot be bothered to release a VC3 English version. They are currently making a new Aliens game, and working on their more established franchises. Though Xseed is still an option, with the negative attitudes that VC2 produced, it might be lost cause altogether. However, these types of decline/rebirth cycles can be good for a company, too. Konami, again, was once in almost the same position as Sega, and that lead to their decision to make games like Suikoden and focus on the PSX, which in the end gave us some of the greatest games ever made.