Silent Hill HD Collection New Voices - Konami's Problems

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Silent Hill HD Collection New Voices - Konami's Problems

Post by dragonmasterx »

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/632692-s ... n/60165320

Looks like a lack of communication from Konami isn't a problem among just the Suikoden fans.

Troy says residuals don't happen in the game voice acting business. If that's true, Konami should have contacted Guy and told him that outright instead of giving him the silent treatment.

It seems like a fuzzy gray area in terms of legality. It would have been interesting if Guy or another former SH actor sued, just to see who the courts would side with in the end. There has to be a precedent, or this will always be a gray area(what's standard in the game business, and what state law dictates).
Last edited by dragonmasterx on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Preria

Re: Silent Hill HD Collection New Voices

Post by Preria »

Fans are people who don't have any limits in communication!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I've never really liked the introduction of voice acting in gaming. The costs involved far outweigh the benefits.

The only thing worse than it is the advent of paid downloadable contents.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/03/23/wh ... ollection/

Lol, Konami has been doing so many things wrong lately. As the publisher for Gaijin Games' Birds of Steel and Blades of Time, many in both Japan and the US noted the lack of marketing, even the official websites seemed like a hack job, as if Konami didn't give a damn whether the game sold well or not. In Birds of Steel's case, it's a shame because it's getting rather decent reviews overall, better than Ace Combat.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Yeah, I noticed that all of a sudden there was a game called Blades of Time around. Konami really need to up their game on the whole marketing thing... It's ludicrous.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

This puts a major hamper in my wanting an HD/straight port collection of the Suikoden series on PS3/360/WiiU. The quality of the Silent Hill HD collection coupled with the quality of any other publishing partnerships they've had (since nobody does HD collections in-house. Ever.) make me despair at the thought of them handling Suikoden.
Formerly known as: Gothann
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Re: Silent Hill HD Collection New Voices - Konami's Problems

Post by dragonmasterx »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... 524-Konami

A great video detailing all the major problems concerning Konami over the past few years.

Silent Hill: Book of Memories doesn't even look like Silent Hill, they're just slapping the Silent Hill name onto it... It's like Castlevania and Suikoden all over again...

Imagine the fate of Konami if Hideo Kojima went off to start his own company...

---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc-wp_Gn ... r_embedded#!

2:30 of the video, Akira Yamaoka and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn were gonna do a live concert together, but Konami Japan said NO! Konami never explained why, just a big fat NO! Then the two work together with Grasshopper who gives them full support, letting them work on a concert together immediately...
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

One has to wonder what will happen to the ZOEHD collection. Will Konami treat it similarly?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Time for fans to gather enough funds for a hostile corporate takeover?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Castlevania: Harmony of Despair was just released on the Japanese PSN, so suddenly. I didn't see news of this anywhere and I follow many games news sites in both English and Japanese. I thought it was never coming. Wow, great advertising, Konami! I downloaded it way back when it was out on US PSN, and all the menus were automatically converted to Japanese, meaning the translations were already done. I have no idea what took them so long to bring it out on the Japanese PSN. It's not even mentioned in Konami Japan's official facebook page, where they can advertise for free. Instead, they waste resources on advertising crap like Neverdead and Silent Hill Collection.

Also, iOS Castlevania puzzle game, that was never released on the Japanese iTunes store, and I shall never know why. Probably just Konami Japan saying NO for no particular reason...
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I do agree that something strange has been going on at Konami of late. Suikoden fans know that their marketing has always apparently been operated by shut-in agoraphobics, probably as some kind of charity tax write-off. But that aside, the recent decisions they have been making cannot even be explained by that.

The only two things I can think of are: (A) The KDE building is being held hostage by a disgruntled employee, who forces his former bosses to make decisions by either flipping coins or by playing Russian Roulette. Or, (B) There is some kind of political power-struggle going on inside the company, and it has become nearly dysfunctional. I.E. The Silent Hill releases were attempted to increase sales and give more power to a particular executive, then the testing and marketing departments were -by a rival executive- all put onto a month-long paid vacation as a way of jilting said Silent Hill releases. Or something along those lines.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ok i'm officially calling the time of death.........
so frustrated.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, we have seen this kind of activity from Konami before. Back when TMNT and the Simpsons Arcade games were big hits, they decided to make lots of bad games based on that same engine -usually Movie tie-ins, with heavy royalties paid. They were nearly bankrupt by the time Castlevania SotN came out, and squeeked by on some successes like Suikoden the previous year, until Metal Gear Solid came out and nearly saved the company.

With that said, MGS was followed by Suikoden II, Silent Hill, DDR, and many, many other good titles, so hopefully they will come out of this slump in the same manner.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

http://www.destructoid.com/silent-hill- ... 8158.phtml

Ouch. Looks like Konami really outdid themselves this time around. That gives me even less hope that we'll ever see a Suikoden collection if they can't even catalog the Silent Hill series' code properly.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Konami doesn't have a marketing department. Only Hideo Kojima creates hype, because ... well... he's Hideo Kojima. MGS was a massive succes and that led to the hype created for MGS2 and then MGS3. Konami did very little. Do we really need to go back to Konami's E3 press conference with that guy completely off his head on whatever Japanese drugs he was on? "Yeah man, Ninety-nine Knights 2. Awesome. You can clap for this"

Konami doesn't know what marketing is, even if it hit them in the face with a big sign saying "hello, this is marketing!" The reason Castlevania: LOS got so much hype was because Kojima's name was on it. That and the trailer was pretty epic. Patrick Stewart does attract media attention as well, but Konami themselves did very little.

It is simple, anybody of us could do a better job at hyping up games than whomever suppsedly does this at Konami. They're useless when it comes down to marketing.