Silent Hill HD Collection New Voices - Konami's Problems

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Hirathien

Re: Silent Hill HD Collection New Voices - Konami's Problems

Post by Hirathien »

Well, I think it being Castlevania carried it a bit as well. But I'm sure that Kojima helped it get a broader audience.

Either Konami should just drop all IP's and start fresh, reboot them all, or just get a better leadership overall.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, that is interesting Lanceheart. I assumed that it was the third party that screwed it up, but I guess I was wrong. The good news is that it is unlikely that Suikoden I and II were lost, as they were released for the PSP. But it is disconcerting that one of their biggest games was mistreated so badly.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Not a double post, hopefully, it has been six months. . .

In any event, it does seem that the third party screwed up here: According to the president of Bluepoint Studios, the people behind the excellent MGS HD, God of War HD, and Ico/Shadow of the Collossus HD, they are not expected to use the final builds of the games when doing HD ports. Bluepoint takes retail copies of the games and reverse-engineers them, first to a PC build, then into the console builds in HD.

So, Hijinx Studios should have followed that protocol. But, other things where seemingly arbitrarily changed as well, like the fact that the town just looks cleaner. Silent Hill being games about scary monsters inside of dirty rooms, this is a problem. . . Here is a vid explaining virtually all the problems with Hijinx's port:

http://youtu.be/wya4XhTPMcc?t=5m46s
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Konami still offered them incomplete code under the false pretense that it was the retail version, which actually lines up with whatever polish is missing from the game (i.e. the youtube vid's stuff). It's often a lot easier to reverse engineer source code rather than a compiled retail copy, so I can't blame Hijinx for choosing that over Bluepoint's usual method.

The biggest reason why this doesn't happen more often (i.e. Bluepoint's stuff) is because the original devs often scrap or lose the source code once a game goes Gold, especially after ten or so years. Either that or they don't want anyone seeing their final code for legal or ego reasons, which wasn't the case this time around.
Formerly known as: Gothann