RPGs Set in Fedual Japan?

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Raou

RPGs Set in Fedual Japan?

Post by Raou »

I've seen very few games set in this period much less set in a period inspired by it. We've plenty of games set in ancient China (I.E: Romance of the Three Kingdoms) and other titles set in Japan during the Warring States (I.E: Samurai Warriors).

But I've seen a lack of rpgs making use of the ways of the Samurai (aside from the Way of Samurai games, and even then...meh.) What do you think it is? Do you think that developers simply do not want to try and create a fantasy of historically based rpg for gamers or do you think it's because many people in Japan have familial ties to people from back during those ages?

I might be wrong but as far as I know, I've never seen a game set in a Japanese setting of old. What do you think it is?

And I apologize in advanced if there is a topic for this already.
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: RPGs Set in Fedual Japan?

Post by Vextor »

They simply don't localize those types of games outside Japan. For example, Koei has been running their Nobunaga's Ambition MMORPG since 2003, and its the longest running Japanese MMORPG in existence. There's bunch of other RPGs in Japan that are based on feudal Japan-- but most publishers think market for that only exists inside Japan.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

To add, Japanese (or any non-European/American) history simply isn't a subject that interests the majority of people in the West. Whatever the rest actually know is heavily filtered through whatever popular media they know of (Samurai Warriors doesn't really represent things properly, much less Sengoku Basara).

Then again, the era most people seem to know (Sengoku) also doesn't lend itself that well to single player RPGs. If there's a remote amount of action, it'll end up being yet another Samurai Warriors. If it requires a minimum of strategy, you might as well make it into a strategy game (Total War:Shogun 2 just came out).
Formerly known as: Gothann
Raou

Post by Raou »

Valid points. I didn't take any of that into account but now that you've mentioned it, makes sense. The kind of game I was thinking of has different versions, really.

Firstly: An MMO set in an older time in Japan. I played Heroes of Three Kingdoms and thoroughly enjoyed it until I had to move, but felt like maybe there should be a Japanese version set in the Sengoku era. I mean, there's enough war and conflict to have a large MMO on that, especially with campaigns.

Secondly: A sandbox RPG a'la Oblivion set in post war time Japan. In addition to a full scale geography of Japan from back then, and dealing with bandits, you have to fend off against the occassional remants of enemy armies (if you're alligned with any), and traversing from town to town, city to city, temple to temple, could yield thousands of quests. Not to mention, with Japan's mythology they could do some fantastic quests allowing for godly-bestowed gifts. The one big problem I could see is if they were to try and have several warring factions fight, that the game might not be able to handle it too well, or might not be able to do it at all.

Thirdly: A real-time combat RPG in the vein of Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy 12 set in the Warring States. Have a customizable MC (you can set the personality, looks, traits and so on so each playthrough is different, and choose your own weapon type or be multi-talented in a variety of weapons). You start off a wanderer looking for a lord to serve having recently completing your training (or you can pick a different start, such as, having already served but being a ronin). The game could have a Samurai Warrior esqe battle system but not so heavily influenced by hack-and-slash but taking more from KH and FF12, just using the wide scale amount of enemies to combat during major conflicts. Though, that might have some serious slow down. lol.

I have several other ideas...

Are rpgs set in Japan really not that popular in the West? So many people play JRPG's, that I know of, but I think that's a smaller percentage than those who play, say, Halo.

As for Samurai Warriors -- Hah, yeah...it does a bad job representing the era, but thankfully that's what history books are for. Such as what they did to Musashi...I lol each time he talks, because I don't think the real Musashi was such a cocky twit.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

there are 2 Total War games set in that period (look up Shogun Total War). i don't play those games myself but i watched 1 person on youtube (ended up being really weird/boring as the player was not very good and started 'arguing' with the commentaries!!)
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Most of the RPGs based on Japanese history includes a bunch of fantasy elements, so the tendency is for there to be little if any reality. You typically have prietsts and shamans casting spells, samurais sending shock waves from their katanas, ninjas cloning him/herself, and tea ceremony masters creating tea that can obliterate entire fiefdoms.

When looking at historically accurate RPGs, there's few if any. I can actually only think of one and it was pretty boring (Sanada Jyu-yushi). The plot was to get 9 other party members and amass troops so you can kill Nobunaga (the plot was fantasy though, but there was no magic).

In terms of MMORPGs, the only one I know of is Nobunaga's Ambition Online, which only covers central Japan in terms of geography. There's plenty of magic and ki-power stuff, and you mostly fight against monsters. They do a good job showing what Japan looked like back then though, because all of the towns look fairly drab and unspectacular.

As far as something Oblivion-like, "Way of the Samurai" would really be the only game that comes close. It's actually fairly accurate in terms of depicting how Japan used to be, although it does include a lot of strange silly stuff. It does a good job showing how Samurai were often loathes by non-samurais, and how they were often parasites to society.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Ryuu ga Gotoku Kenzan - The best video game representation of Edo-era Kyoto. The in-game representation of Kiyomizudera(famous shrine) inspired me to go see the real thing in Kyoto. And the famous spear users HouzouinryuuSoujutsu no Inshun/Inei inspired me to go check out a local exhibit of spears used by practitioners of that style. And you play as Miyamoto Musashi! Too bad it was never localized.