Ico-Shadow of the Colossus-The Last Guardian

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Night Shadow

Ico-Shadow of the Colossus-The Last Guardian

Post by Night Shadow »

Anyone familiar with these games?

The Last Guardian (Trico) isnt out yet but its coming out this yr.

I find Ico to be a rare gem. I barely know people who have even heard of the game. The princess-in-distress concept was used extremely well, if I may say.

And being a bit left of field, I actually prefer Ico than SotC. There was a lot more meat to the story. Anyone else play?
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: Ico-Shadow of the Colossus-The Last Guardian

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:o Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are two of my top 10 games. Though i'm afraid i would have to place SOTC a little higher as that game id the definition of 'Epic', from its giant landscapes to its giant bossess this game has it all. And once you've completed the main game theres a hard mode, a time attack mode, loads of lizards to hunt and fruits to find and eat, i havent even mentioned the long climb up the temple walls. While i really enjoy Ico, (it has a very unique atmosphere) the games a little short unless you get stuck on one of those puzzles where you want to bite your own hand off! I wonder how different the PS3 remake will be?

I've been waiting for the last guardian to be realeased for ages now. ive been putting off getting a PS3 until it comes out, theres no other PS3 exclusives that im too interested it. It looks like a short of cross beetween the other two: Ico's little boy but instead of interacting with Yorda you get this giant (i dont know what you would call it) creature. Anyways i like your taste in games buddy.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

Wow! Finally, someone who actually knows how wonderful these games are! :D

And I get what youre saying, and I agree. What they did with SOTC was get the essential selling points of Ico, and make it 10x better and cooler. I always found SOTC to be the sadder, more mysterious counterpart to Ico. At times, I would be reluctant to kill a Colossi, merely because of how gentle and unwavering some of them were. There's this large argument going on among SOTC fans over how the game translates into a moral and philosophical aspect (ex. is killing a gentle colossi just to save the girl really something you'd do?), but ive never really understood that. =P

I think the reason why I do prefer Ico is because I'm sort of a "less is better" sort of guy. I loved its simplicity, the "cold, mysterious" setting and background music...the puzzles were pretty fun too. And I guess, in some weird way, the idea of a little boy saving this princess always seemed appealing to me. :D

you are a lucky man, my friend. at least you have the means to get a ps3. im stuck with an xbox360 and wii, and what i'd give to get a chance to play the last guardian. supposedly, the game is going to come out late fall or winter this year. so, it should be good since they took their time. the giant is supposedly a griffin, i believe. oh, and if youre looking for something similar to the last guardian, theres this game for the xbox called majin and the forsaken kingdom. its not really a great game, but it gives a little taste of what the last guardian should feel like.

and right back at you! you have awesome taste in games. suikoden. the legend of zelda. okami. ico. SOTC....what other awesome games do you play? :D haha.
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:D Thanks, at the moment im pretty glued to Red Dead Redemption (online mode) im two levels away from being on the maximum level, (come on Zebra!) but the constant bitching from people when you kill them gets to be a bit of a headache. Im only just getting into online games on xbox 360 recently, i really like Castlevania Harmony of Despair as i like my ol castlevania games (Lords of shadow is actually really good, despite being a reboot.)

Im near the end of Tactics Ogre as well at the moment, i think that that game will be quite fun to replay as thers loads of paths to take. Other games that i think are noteworthy are: Alundra (not the shoddy sequal though), Breath of Fire 1-4, Final fantasy 4,8,9,12 (never played 7) FFT, Grandia 1-2, Muramasa, Odin sphere, DIABLO! (III's gana be the tits, hopefully all though it doesnt have the classic soundtrack from the first), Blood Omen Legacy of Kain (again sequal not so good), Tenchu, Alex Kidd in miracle world, super mario world...I could honestly type all day but i wont bore anyone any further. :P

I never really felt too bad about killing those colossi especially that giant ape like one near the end and the last boss is a bitch, i still need to kill him one day on time trail hard mode. I maybe felt a little bad for the flying one in the desert whos sacks you shot, i mean hes really just minding his own buisness. Oh yeah another thing i missed out from SOTC is those magic items you get from killing the colossi on time trail mode. The exploding arrow and cloak of invisabilty were almost too cool. Its just a shame you cant use them in the time trail mode. :x
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Thing is, forums work you create a topic, something you talk about. If you were talking with a friend of yours about a tasty sallad, wouldn't you be a bit annoyed if a third friend of yours just went into the conversation and started talking about the grass outside the hospital?

That said, making a few notes here and there about a game being better than the game being discussed at the time, wouldn't be too bad, I guess.

To contribute to the actual topic now, It's not bad games, Shadow of the Colussus and Ico, just, they never lured me in.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Mmmm salad. But yes, Hirathien is quite right, don't hijack a topic. I have split the Diablo posts to its own thread.

Rule of thumb is always have something in your post relating to the original topic even if half of it is about something else.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

long time no post. got a bit busy.

anyway, back on topic. i did a replay of SoC, and only now have i realized how amazing timed mode is. i have yet to get any of those items gilgamesh is talking about, but they sound amazing. oh, and has anyone noted the similarites of Legend of Zelda with this game? you know, a boy. his horse. really open field. hyrule, much?

hirathien, i beg you to try this game. :D trust me, youll like it. its quite an artistic piece if you think about it. theres this site that put this, fallout, and abes odyssey together as most artistic games.

oh, and i think they just confirmed japan will get a release for the last guardian later this fall.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Damn it will probably spill over into 2012 now, the European release i mean. Theres loads of cool items to collect, theres this cloak you can use as a paracuat, stronger swords, stones that show you when a lizard or fruit is near, loads others. You unlock one for each collosi and you get different weapons depending on which difficulty you play as the final item from beating the last boss on hard in time trail mode is from something from Ico but i still havent beat the bastard yet!

I can see alot of Zelda in this, its like a zelda game but with not much talking and no dungeons.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

i got this from wikipedia, so just as a side note, we cant really rely on this, but anyway:

In interviews during February 2011, Ueda stated that while they were still planning to ship the game worldwide by the end of 2011, some design decisions remained in question. These included if any kind of on-screen heads-up display would be present, such as a strength or stamina meter for Trico, a decision that Ueda is "still anguishing over".

from the looks of it, the 2012 this is pretty sure dead set for a us and european release.

right now with my SoC game, im trying to look for all those fruits and lizards. theyre a big pain to find. @_@ then, ill probably go on and do all of those fun things youve been saying. the parachute cloak sounds awesome. :D man, you just got me really hyped up with this game. you might eventually convert me into thinking SoC is better than Ico. :lol:

one more bad-ass thing about ico: THE LIGHT SABER. ive never used it, but it looks awesome. oh, and knowing you come from europe, have you ever tried the two player mode where you get to have a friend tag along as yorda? how is it any different? it seems interesting. it would be awesome if they released it for NTSC. but even so, i dont have a lot of gamer friends so i still wouldnt have anyone to play it with. :?
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Light Sabre! sounds cool. I didnt know about the two player on Ico either, my dog destroyed my second controller so ill have to wait until i replace it to try it out. The thing about the items you win from time trial in SOTC is that you cant use the items in time trial.

I would suggest after killing a collossi in story mode, killing the same collossi in time trial mode (which you access by kneeling down infront of the giant statues in the temple) that way you can use your new found items in story mode. I think the lizard and fruit stones come after you kill about 4 collossi in time trial.

SOTC is defenetely alot bigger and has a lot more to do in it then ICO. You can change your horses colour from black to white or brown as well. Theres also a secret garden at the top of the temple that you can climb up if you eat enough lizard tales. Hell your making me wanna replay it now! Cheers for that info on the release date mate :mrgreen:
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

tell me once you finally get to do it. @_@ i envy people who have actually tried it....you must have one rabid dog, then.... :lol:

im gonna try that over the weekend. school starts soon, which cuts my gaming time by half. =(

annnd may i ask how you can do that? changing the horses color, i mean. hehe. im excited now. i wanna try to do a perfect game for SoC. ^_^
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

My dog wrecked it when she was a puppy, shes a husky/german shephard. Ill get a new one at some point.

To get the Brown Horse you must first get all the items in Normal Time Attack mode. Then hold down Square button at title screen and to get the white horse you must first get all the items in Hard Time Attack mode. Then hold down Circle button at title screen.

Theres also a fun little trick where you can grab holf of birds and fish and they drag you around. The birds in the temple are the easist to catch you can fly with them temporarily. Just press R1 or whatever the climb button is.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

Thanks, thanks! ^_^ I'll come back to you once I get to try all of the things you said.