Final Fantasy XIII-2

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Final Fantasy XIII-2

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Generally speaking, if you can't explain basic concepts of the game's story within the actual game then you're doing something wrong.

Encyclopedias and codex's are okay for in-depth details about stuff, if you're so inclined, but you shouldn't have to consult it to understand basic storylines.
Oppenheimer wrote:Or I could just buy Dragon Age 2 for $59.99. Seems like a better value for my entertainment dollar.
You'd be surprised. Story is completely linear, no choices, identical dungeons consisting of hallways, ridiculous combat and god-awful art style.

Now that I think about it it's basically FFXIII done by Bioware...
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Oh, I regret that purchase that's for sure. Terribly disappointing game DA2 was.

Still haven't bothered with FFXIII so I certainly won't be getting the sequel.
Luke

Post by Luke »

The XIII sadly was a total disappointment, therefore I'm all but hyped for this one. I'm not going to buy it for sure
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I couldn't quite wrap my head around it either. All of the other FF games I can think of I had an understanding of what was happening at the beginning. Did anyone else think it was like FF7 all over again? I mean, it starts on a train, they're going to destroy something, the main character is an anti-social soldier with a black sidekick, but they don't really know each other. **tries to make a tenuous connection between Snowe and Tifa**

Also, everyone had pink hair. Disliked that. And Australian accents (sorry Ved <3)

I enjoyed Dragon Age 2... Although yeah, it was the SAME CORRIDOR every time. And if you killed one of those massive spiders its corpse would stay there... creeping me out every time I walked by. Not as much replay value as the first one though, I thought.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, considering the fact that I hated Dragon Age 1, I won't be buying DA2 either. Funny thing: I actually traded DA 1 in to buy FFXIII and never regretted the decision. Though, I hated FFXIII as well. As I said, I likely will buy FFXIII-2, but I'll probably wait for it to be used. Though, with the poison that is WoW and the MMOs infiltrating everything, I doubt we will see a good original RPG again until someone actually decides to do something innovative with the genre, considering that most shooters are Call of Duty clones, Most RPGs are WoW clones, and most action titles are Uncharted / Assaaain's Creed clones, it looks like no game distributors are willing to step up anytime soon.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Some people are really riding the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" train.
Ved

Post by Ved »

Nikisaur wrote:And Australian accents (sorry Ved <3)
Well I was mortally offended, but since you added a love heart... :roll:
Who could stay mad at you, Miss 'Saur?
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Hirathien wrote:Some people are really riding the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" train.
Certainly, but my point is that these people are mistaken and that "it" -being the modern RPG- is quite broken. I think that publishers are not as willing to take risks anymore. Though, I can name a few publishers that have refused most risk and ended up in trouble. They realeased flimsy sequels and tie-ins deemed safe investments by marketing and the board, rather than relying on their artists.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Xenoblade Chronicles is supposed to be the best J-RPG of the new generation, or so I have heard. haven't played it, yet, I'm still missing a Wii (but owning the game^^)
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Rooks wrote:
Hirathien wrote:Some people are really riding the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" train.
Certainly, but my point is that these people are mistaken and that "it" -being the modern RPG- is quite broken. I think that publishers are not as willing to take risks anymore. Though, I can name a few publishers that have refused most risk and ended up in trouble. They realeased flimsy sequels and tie-ins deemed safe investments by marketing and the board, rather than relying on their artists.
I can definitely say that I was far more impressed by Final Fantasy Type-0 than Final Fantasy XIII. The combat system of XIII, while completely new, was also pretty flimsy in that it turned the somewhat-strategic ATB (yes, this is a bit of a stretch) into an impediment to making the game a full-blown action RPG. It's almost as though the wrong dev teams were given the wrong amount of funding for making their games.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Luke

Post by Luke »

Antimatzist wrote:Xenoblade Chronicles is supposed to be the best J-RPG of the new generation, or so I have heard. haven't played it, yet, I'm still missing a Wii (but owning the game^^)
lol me too xd.
My first D1-game ever (in the end Wii games price it's always the same more or less also after years, besides imho this will be a very rare game in the future like Suikoden 2, Castlevania sotn and so on), very huge hype, but I can't play it yet 'cause I still don't have a wii :(
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I would rather have this over the variety of Idea Factory and Compile Heart titles flooding the console.

I wonder which part of this new Xeno title is supposed to be good. 'gears killed any enjoyment I had with its whole-disc monologue, whereas 'saga is just sad. Sounds tough to justify getting a brand new console just for one high-risk-probably-high-return title.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Antimatzist wrote:Xenoblade Chronicles is supposed to be the best J-RPG of the new generation, or so I have heard. haven't played it, yet, I'm still missing a Wii (but owning the game^^)
i had been waiting for that game for a while and hadn't been following the news much, but i eventually found out that the release plus another highly successful/rated Wii RPG were both canceled for US releases. :/
Zer0

Post by Zer0 »

I have heard good things about Xenoblade but since it's on the Wii, it's barred from me =/

What isn't barred from me though is the amazing soundtrack.

On the subject of XIII-2, the little of it i have seen has hyped me up enough to want to buy it. (i enjoyed XIII for what it was, at least it was a step up from XII) Vastly expanded areas, more sidequests, ability to talk to NPC's again and a plot that seems influenced by the Chrono series. I'm sold lol.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I somewhat enjoyed FFXIII. I did complete the game, including all trophies and reading all datalogs. There's the problem: it still didn't make sense. The characters don't act in any consistent manner to their established characterization. Not only that, but there is never an explanation as to what is really going on; you never really know who's good or bad or lying or telling the truth.

That said, I'm still interested in XIII-2. Aside from the plot problems, there were no good side-ventures in XIII. Absolutely everything had to do with fighting. Hopefully they fix that for the sequel.

(I thought X was their best numbered title on any PS system. However, in X-2, they ruined Rikku, who actually had a significant amount of depth in the first game.)