Arc Rise Fantasia

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Arc Rise Fantasia

Post by KFCrispy »

i started this game... there are very few RPGs on the Wii and i was hesitant on trying this because the intial reviews all said how generic this game was. well the story seems like it's some "you are the chosen one to save the world" thing but the battle system is pretty cool, and one feature i like is that bosses can kick your butt if you don't understand the battle system. i did some research on how it works in order to understand it better and now i am really enjoying it.
as usual, the American voice acting is terrible though. ppl on gamefaqs say to stop whining and lower the Voice volume, but i feel an urge to hear it since it helps form the character... or something.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Arc Rise Fantasia

Post by Oppenheimer »

I have similar feelings about The Last Remnant that I'm playing right now. The battle system is interesting but the rest of it is so cliche and boring that I'm struggling through it. There's nothing else really out right now to occupy myself with though.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i found out that there is an "undub" version of the game out there. japanese voices + english text.. awesome! i will try it out soon.
people say this game's battle system is one of the best for any rpg. so far i'm in agreement. bosses are actually challenging, which is very refreshing, while random encounters are only a little tough until you level up. and the EXP scales (not as crazy as Suikoden's) to bring you to a decent level for the bosses.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Oh, ARF was pretty damn good. I enjoyed it. It's getting harder and harder to get good RPG theses days and that one was worth my money. Got some good story and some good plot twists (as well as some cliche, but eh...). As for the voice acting, while it's terrible in the first quarter of the game, it mysteriously gets better after awhile....then become even worst at the very end. I like to believe they recorded the ending first. That's the only reason I can find for the VA to get worst there.

But yeah.... Battle system is pretty good. Keeps you thinking while not rushing you out (I'm looking at you FFXIII).
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

yeah, most RPGs are so cliche that I have a difficult time playing them anymore. I wonder about how much time and talent goes into writing a game anymore. Most scenario writers started out in the programing or art design fields of game making, and then got roped into writing for some reason. There are a few, like Murayama and the guy who did the Ogre Battle series who clearly have a natural talent for writing, but most simply emulate the genre's cliches inside a new environment.

It is really sad that most RPGs go the route of Grandia and Star Ocean, focusing on their battle system to the detriment of their plot and characters. You don't have to be Shakespeare or Joyce or anything, just give me some originality and an emotionally compelling narrative please.

And Palmguy shortened it to "arf" ahaha.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Just until now I can reach this game, and gotta say it's really good. The battle system amuses me although it doesnt have the large cast of characters to choose as we have in suikoden but I like the customization and the combos the way they are here. Still learning about it though.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i enjoyed this game a lot but did not complete all the optional boss challenges after beating the game. i am not sure i will get back to it because it's hard to re-learn, and i know it's really damn hard lol.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

You really should have completed the optional contents as those are in highlight, man. The ultimate weapons/armors are definitely in different league compared to normal gear so the characters can become dominating at post game.

But yea, bosses in this game change from annoying to challenging rather quick. I wish there was NG+ option.