Tokyo Game Show (going on now)

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
thcrock
Global Admin

Tokyo Game Show (going on now)

Post by thcrock »

Lots of new announcements coming at Tokyo Game Show. What are we excited for?

Ninja Gaiden 3 [unannounced] - Ryu will be unmasked for this game, and we're supposed to get a more human side, and also a 'more violent, bloody experience'. I didn't know Ninja Gaiden could get more violent?
http://www.videogamer.com/news/ninja_ga ... ealed.html

DmC [PS3/360] - Devil May Cry reboot being made by Ninja Theory, the studio behind Heavenly Sword. Features a young Dante.
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/15/devil ... #continued

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD [PS3] - Details are sparse, but these are following the footsteps of God of War and Sly Cooper and being remade for PS3 in HD. Supposedly, these will be sold separately, though, and treated more like Directors Cuts instead of HD ports, implying some added content. There is speculation that some of the Colossi cut from SoTC will be in it this time around.
http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/15/scee-co ... -tomorrow/

Yakuza of the End [PS3] - Warring Yakuza factions from the earlier games unite to fight off a zombie apocalypse.
http://www.vg247.com/2010/09/15/what-a- ... e-shooter/

Shadows of the Damned [PS3/360] - The long-awaited horror title from Suda51(creator of Killer7, No More Heroes), Shinji MIkami(creator of Resident Evil, Devil May Cry,Viewtiful Joe), and Akira Yamoaka(composer for Silent Hill). Judging by the trailer, it looks more like Devil May Cry than what we would expect of a 'horror' game. It is described as a psychological action-thriller.
http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/216 ... he-damned/

Asura's Wrath [PS3/360] - Revealed by Capcom, and developed by CyberConnect2, the company responsible for the .hack and Naruto games. It's described as an action game focused on large armies, which sounds like Dynasty Warriors to me. You can also summon gods.
http://www.gamingeverything.com/2010/9/ ... _to_ps3360

Valkyria Chronicles III [PSP] - The platform of the second game, but seems to take a lot of style cues from the first game. It's possible the Valkyria team split into two, and this would be the team from the first game. No more military academy, dropping the mission structure, etc. The director mentioned PS3, though...
"Motoyama added that while players wanted a PS3 sequel, it would require new ideas beyond standard gameplay updates and the firm plans to reserve them for an entirely different project."
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a ... r-psp.html
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Tokyo Game Show (going on now)

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well, technically it's not on till tomorrow, but in true E3 style everyone appears to have pre-show shows now.

Asura's Wrath might be something, but the details are too scarce. So far I haven't really seen or heard anything exciting since Valkyria Chronicles 3. Then they revealed the platform and then the excitement died.
Yakuza of the End [PS3] - Warring Yakuza factions from the earlier games unite to fight off a zombie apocalypse.
I'm all for innovation and all that, but zombies? Really? Well, I never would have seen that one coming, I'll give them that.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Yeah, everything interesting happens pre-show now, at least for those of us not at the show. The highlight of the actual show is often just being able to play upcoming games.

Personally, I'm really interested in the Team ICO remakes, especially the added content. Also, Shadows of the Damned should be interesting.

And thanks for reminding me about VCIII. Added a blurb to the top.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

After seeing the trailer, Asura's Wrath looks a bit more like God of War than Dynasty Warriors.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Out of curiosity, have you actually played ICO/SotC before or are you looking forward to them as a new player? I've played both and I find both to be rather boring, SotC is better but I still don't care enough for it to actually finish it.

Hm... does Konami have any pre-show shows? Can't find any info on it, I know EA did, Capcom obviously, and apparently Team Ninja announced Ninja Gaiden 3 as well (shocker...).
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

KoRnholio wrote: Valkyria Chronicles III [PSP] - The platform of the second game, but seems to take a lot of style cues from the first game. It's possible the Valkyria team split into two, and this would be the team from the first game. No more military academy, dropping the mission structure, etc. The director mentioned PS3, though...
"Motoyama added that while players wanted a PS3 sequel, it would require new ideas beyond standard gameplay updates and the firm plans to reserve them for an entirely different project."
http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a ... r-psp.html
Gah! The lack of voice acting and split up mission areas is really hurting VCII on my play through. They're so infuriating. Why in the world would I want to look at a tiny screen when I could have it on my big HD TV.

Edit: Also this just reeks of "If we put it on the PS3 again we'd have to try harder than the half assed job we can do on the PSP.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Oppenheimer wrote:Gah! The lack of voice acting and split up mission areas is really hurting VCII on my play through. They're so infuriating. Why in the world would I want to look at a tiny screen when I could have it on my big HD TV.
The mission areas were certainly annoying, but what cemented the deal was the incessant grinding for materials to change class and the pathetically stupid story. I stopped playing a few days ago and haven't had any itch to pick it up again.

But at least they gave up the pretense of "If you buy the inferior product we might give you the full deal next time!" they pulled when VC2 being on PSP backlashed. It's pretty much PSP from here on out from his comments.
Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes, the class changing stuff is very annoying. At least you can plan ahead for things like Arms, Arms X etc, but certificates are random!
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Devil May Cry! Awesome. Except I should go and finish the fourth one, I started it about 3 times...

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for anything Suikoden related.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yeah except Dante is androgynous, beat up, and showing a lot of chest. Did they make this game for the Marques de Sade or what?
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Hmm, not sure if I like his character design... Ah well, looks like more happy hack 'n' slash time for me!
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Noooooooooo! How can they do this to Dante?! He had the same style for 1-4, people love his looks. Why change them to something that looks so.... Totally random Japanese?

I got all of Devil May Cry games, even the god awful 2. Which got ruined by some other people, which would have taught Capcom to not let other people screw around with their games. But nooo. Ergh... I do not look forward to the character design of him... But the game might be fun regardless, hopefully.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Just droppin' by to say Andriasang has compiled a list of when each show will be on.
http://www.andriasang.com//e/features/tgs2010/schedule/

Looks like Konami's is tomorrow at 7PM (local time).
Formerly known as: Gothann
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Out of curiosity, have you actually played ICO/SotC before or are you looking forward to them as a new player? I've played both and I find both to be rather boring, SotC is better but I still don't care enough for it to actually finish it.
I've never tried Ico, but I have played Shadow of the Colossus. I enjoyed it when I did play it, but never finished it because I started it at a really bad time for playing games in my life. I got to roughly the sixth colossus (the one where you have to go up a cliff to get to him, and fall down that cliff if he launches you off of his sword thing) and didn't have time to go on. By the time I got back to playing video games again I already had a non-BC PS3 and was no longer interested in keeping my PS2 hooked up. So SoTC on the PS3 will spur me to actually play through the whole thing. Part of it was the framerate, which I would assume is being improved for the remake.

Shadows of the Damned actually looks more appealing as a Devil May Cry game than the actual Devil May Cry game.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

SotC was better than ICO but both were really good. Some of my favourite games of all time. I'm big on atmosphere though which they had in spades.