Ogre Battle

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Ogre Battle

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Oppenheimer wrote:in Ogre Battle 64.
Person of Lordly Caliber? Funny, I just started playing that myself.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: What did you name your character for the last game you p

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yup. It came out for the Wii just recently. I owned it back in the 64 days and thought it was worthy of a rebuy since my 64 is long gone now. The duplication cheat makes the alignment system actually possible to deal with. And being able to rename anyone in your unit you want to is good so you don't end up with people with names like Pizza, Dude or Badguy. . .
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Never played it before but it seems like a game that would really benefit from a real manual cause I find myself rather lost.

Then again I could try the tutorial... and I wonder if I should invest in March of the Black Queen while I'm at it.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes definitely play the tutorial. The Wii version has a manual built into it if you press the Home button which is nice (although that might be what you're referring to when you say "real" manual). But you will absolutely want to use an FAQ as well because there are tons of things that you'd never ever figure out or unlock without one.

My boyfriend likes the original SNES black queen one a lot, it's just different enough that if you use the same strategy for each game you'll get clobbered. But the gameplay is pretty much the same at its core. I prefer the sequel myself. The original has a very basic plot.
RangerDeon

Re: Ogre Battle

Post by RangerDeon »

I loved this game! I rented it way back when and I never finished >_<

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I remember playing the original March of the Black Queen like 16 years ago. It was a sweet game. Tactics Ogre is also awesome, but a very different game.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Oppenheimer wrote:The Wii version has a manual built into it if you press the Home button which is nice (although that might be what you're referring to when you say "real" manual).
Yeah, but the home-manuals are annoying to use and cover the bare basics of anything. I dunno, maybe the originals manual wasn't much better but I prefer a booklet anyway.

I am starting to get the hang of it (I think?), it's not that it's complicated as much as the controls for doing anything in the menu are unintuitive. Press R, choose submenu, choose action, choose unit. And every time it's interrupted by a speech bubble saying "Please choose unit now". Yeah, I get it, that's what I was planning on.

Couldn't we just have gone with the regular choose unit, press A, list of commands?

Also, is it possible to change the attacks a unit has or something? It lists a command 3 times, but it's all the same like "Healing, Healing, Healing" or "Slash, Slash, Slash" but I can't find any way to change them.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Vextor wrote:I remember playing the original March of the Black Queen like 16 years ago. It was a sweet game. Tactics Ogre is also awesome, but a very different game.
It's somewhat of a shame that Square Enix have been sitting on the IP ever since they purchased Quest.

I'm also somewhat cautious as to the Tactics Ogre trademark that was filed by Square Enix this past week. The old Quest team is almost completely gone, including the people who made the storylines rival Suikoden in terms of complexity (Matsuno being a major factor, though he didn't work on Person of Lordly Caliber IIRC).
Formerly known as: Gothann
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Also, is it possible to change the attacks a unit has or something? It lists a command 3 times, but it's all the same like "Healing, Healing, Healing" or "Slash, Slash, Slash" but I can't find any way to change them.
Different units do different things and depending on which of the three rows they are in of your formation it depends on what they may do something different. For example:

Valkaries:

Front Row: Slash X2
Middle Row: Slash X1
Back Row: Lightning Spell X2

Eventually you'll pick up elemental weapons and then some characters can change the element of their attacks. For example:

Freya's:

Front Row: Slash X2 (with element of weapon)
Middle Row: Slash X1 (with element of weapon)
Back Row: Area Effect Spell (depending on element of weapon)

But, Clerics heal and only heal regardless of where they are, it's just 2x in the back or 1x anywhere else.

You don't get a lot of control in battles besides picking attack leader, retreating or using a pedra. It requires prebattle strategizing more than in battle, which I think is a interesting idea.