Romance of the Three Kingdoms X

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Romance of the Three Kingdoms X

Post by KFCrispy »

I'm playing this game.. a ROTK noob. I've learned pretty much everything with the FAQs and some helpful gamefaqs ppl who still lurk the ROTK X boards. It's definitely very fun and I already want to play as other officers and do different things. I looked at screenshots of other ROTKs and I feel that I would have been turned off by the interfaces/graphics of a lot of them. In this one, though, the battles and units look very much like Suikoden II's. I also like the RPG-aspect of this version. I read reviews of other ROTKs and most of them don't have the RPG-element, only VIII and X... so I think I'm lucky my friend lent me ROTK X :)
Hirathien

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms X

Post by Hirathien »

What console is it on?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

PS2. there's a PC version as well
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Ah, i'll keep an eye out.
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

Lol? This is a very old game. I've played it countless of times :mrgreen:
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Might be an old game, but there's still people who's Clueless about Suikoden 1 and 2 and asked about them they go "What games? Never heard of games like that." And some people still think Super Mario bros 2 is the real Super Mario Bros 2.
Mise

Post by Mise »

I've played around half of the ROTK games over the years, and my favorite is still 7. It seemed like, in 10, most of the things they added were merely unnecessary.
Like making a Lord of the Rings movie, cutting half of the battle scenes, and including every step of the walking.

It just drew out and made gameplay that is already slow in nature, seem even slower.
Ohhh well. c: you like what you like. I'll stick with ROTK7.
It is no coincidence that man's best friend is incapable of speech.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i'd be interested in trying other versions, but i'd be sad about losing features. i never got to play with created characters so far, either. i do like the request system where sign up for little quests at taverns... you can always find something to do if you're waiting for something to happen.

i really want to be involved in the major historic events to see how they unfold in the game. being completely new to the game when i played the first time, i completely botched the flow after the 1st historic event occurred-- i played as Zhao Yun in his suggested time and the first event triggered where he saves Liu Bei's son, and then Shu and Wu became allies, but i unintentionally destroyed Wei's advances and never triggered the Battle of Chi Bi.

what i'd really like to see is HELP/HINTS on what decisions to make in order to continue the historic events or to get back in track if i've strayed from them. that would make the game more fun for me. it's way too easy to screw things up.

i'm now playing as Zhang Liao and started from the earliest time period. i've been building up my skills and pray that i can get the whole Lu Bu story to play out. i know the second time period already has Zhang Liao in Lu Bu's rogue army-- i started that scenario and it did help me figure out the events i need to follow (thanks to Zhang Liao explaining all the people he had served..).

i think Oath Brothers was a good idea, they added that in 8 or 10, right? it's annoying how limited it is, but it's great that i continue playing the same game with another character.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I still play VIII because it's such a perfect game. I like playing the role of some regional vassal with poor stats, struggling to satisfy the agriculture quota set by the governor and often failing because my stats are so dismal.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Vextor, that doesn't sound too fun at all! and in X, as a vassal you can just boss your officers to do things, so you can mass-recruit officers and set them to work.... does it work like that in VIII?

i hear a lot about VII and VIII (as well as X) being good games on various boards. nobody talks about IX at all, so i guess that's a fail... and not too many care for XI either.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ok i figured out how to get some historical events to occur in my Zhang Liao game, but i did them like 5-7 years late, not allowing other things to develop correctly so i may be screwed from future events :(

after Dong Zhuo took Luo Yang, i tried waiting around for things to happen between Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo, and Ding Yuan (Dong Zhuo is supposed to send Lu Bu the Red Hare and Lu Bu kills Ding Yuan), but years passed and nothing. then based on the ROTK VIII Events guide, it talked about friendship relationships having to be a certain level, so i visit the characters involved, and when i go to visit Dong Zhuo in Luo Yang, the events start to trigger! so you need to visit the right places to get things to work. the problem now is that if i go back to Luo Yang or Ding Yuan's city, Lu Bu immediately kills Ding Yuan... after that, if i visit Luo Yang, Lu Bu will immediately kill Dong Zhuo. i'm missing the development time where the different factions start an alliance against Dong Zhuo and the main key, Cao Cao, needs to form his own force. Due to taking a peek at Zhang Liao's scenario that starts him in Lu Bu's rogue army, Cao Cao and Liu Bei's forces go to war and allow Lu Bu to take one of Cao Cao's cities. but in my game, Cao Cao's still working under someone else! ugggghhhh!!!
it's really sad because i did so much training while waiting around, learning almost every skill and pumping up a lot of stats... i may just have to give up and just start a new game in the second time scenario to be in Lu Bu's rogue army.
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

Zhang Liao? Luo Yang? Lu Bu?? Cao Cao???

So this series is related to Destiny of an Emperor? I've never played any of the titles from this series, but Destiny popped my rpg cherry when I was a youngin. I am intrigued.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i've never heard of Destiny of an Emperor, but obviously that game, this game, Dynasty Warriors, and a lot of other things are based on the real events or the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

update: wow Destiny of an Emperor is super-old... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_of_an_Emperor
Elendil

Post by Elendil »

You know when I first played Suikoden, it reminded me of Destiny... good music, countless characters, an "all-out" battle feature. More war-story than epic-saga type stuff. Well... except for the whole True Rune part :p
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Huh, looks like it would have been fun back in its day.