Dynasty warrior series

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
avenger

Dynasty warrior series

Post by avenger »

here's another series that looks like it's gonna go to 14 or you know a high number.
when the first game came out for ps, it was just a fighting game, kinda like a street fighter. who would have thought that now it 's an action fighter? and then a strategy risk kinda game (empires). i think all in all the best versions were 5 and 6. the others were good and i still own dw3 and 4 but i just like the newer games. although i enjoyed dw4empires a lot because that game was fun to play and relatively easy.
for me the best charecters were Xing Cai from dw5, lu bu of course, diao chan from dw6 and sun shang xiang from dw6. i do like others but these stand out more so for me ..
the battle system never really changed too much untill dw6 was released. the renbu system added some goodness i think. there are those who will disagree and they have every right to. it's a free world.

music was very good in every game. they all had good fealing and sound for it's game, for example dw4 soundtrack sounded very much like it should for the game. and so on.
i'm a big fan of the romance of the three kingdoms period in fact i own the chinese tv program done in 1995 on dvd. it's a 28 dvd collection. it has 84 episodes. plus i own two different versions of the novel.. well as you can see i can go on and on. so i'll stop here.
Rikimaru

Re: Dynasty warrior series

Post by Rikimaru »

ima fan of the d.w. series also, one thing that caught my eye was on d.w. for psp u can unlock legendary characters and ones profile reads that they were around in the "Suikoden" era and also referred to it as "The Water Margin" i have always been curious if theres some connection
"How dare the Flame Champion appear after we've returned to Tinto, I will speak with him, or else!!" - Lilly Pendragon S3
"That place could turn an angel into a devil." - Elza S2
avenger

Post by avenger »

hmmm, i have the psp version i'll check that out because i have all the officers unlocked.
which one was it? there are two games for the psp kay?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I just heard that Strikeforce is coming to consoles instead of just handhelds. Can't say I'm thrilled. I didn't like the handheld version. Is it still going to have split screen co-op? Or just online?

I'm a big fan of the series. It's fun to play with a friend in co-op mode. But if they take that out I won't be impressed.
avenger

Post by avenger »

well i personally dont' care for this game either. ijust want regular game, xl and empires.
strikeforce just makes the game totally different. the charecters change into beings? come on why did koei have to go and ruin the story. i heard strikeforce 2 also will be for ps3.
the difference between the psp and ps3 version? well i think they may add something and rid the game of co op, don't quote me because i really haven't studied this game because i have no plans on getting it.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i haven't played Strikeforce and don't really like it, but Koei definitely has a yearning to get more crazy with powers and such, and Strikeforce was one of their several escapes to going all-out extremely/crazy. i don't mind that they're launching all these different games, as long as they continue to release true sequels to the original formula such as Samurai Warriors 3.

i've been playing Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires lately and it's made DW5 really fun again - one big reason is that you will constantly lack items that otherwise make your character uber-powerful, and the difficulty in general seems to ramp up as you get near completing your playthrough, so using mediocre characters is much more challenging.
avenger

Post by avenger »

well , for example you'd rather use Zhang Jiao to make the game more interesting? he is very mediocre kay?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

sorry i forgot to say "EMPIRES". DW5: Empires... refreshing.
avenger

Post by avenger »

ah yes, so then you refer to the lesser officers such as Zhang Yan for example. playing dw5e with those characters as your leader makes the game harder because the movesets of the generic officers are weaker then the sun Shang Xiang example characters.
but i prefer the strategists swords and movesets. they can be just as effective. they have good moves i think.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the game is harder because of the limited items I can produce while trying to do everything else. Hard mode sometimes gets really hectic, with unreliable allies... sometimes it's still too easy though.. i'm not really why the difficulty changes so much (maybe it's the Defense level of the area or something....???). i'd like to be able to play it on Chaos but whenever there is a battle where I got almost killed multiple times (or DID get killed or lost my main camp and restarted....), I'm really afraid that I'm not good enough for Chaos mode!
avenger

Post by avenger »

well when you play on hard it is hard but you can win the game. it's not too bad. it takes long to conquer other territories but all in all you can win.

chaos? well, hmmm you need cheat codes if your not well trained in playing this mode.
it is nearly impossible to attack anyone... but i'm sure people have won this game on chaos.

the defence factor you say? well no it's just that regular soilders have bigger bars as well as leaders. so it takeslonger to kill them all.
on chaos mode, basically one hit and half your life is gone....
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well i'm saying things are hard because officers are sometimes much more aggressive and peons block more in some battles, while in others they're just sitting ducks... but yeah, i just started a new playthrough and chose Hard again, not Chaos. another big handicap is weapon levels start at 1 each time you start over, so while i focus on upgrading the third level the most, when i first start i am using a character with no weapon bonuses and no items. There are only a handful of characters i will dare use if i were to use Chaos mode, and that list shrinks significantly when i think about having to use a Level 1 weapon from the start!
avenger

Post by avenger »

Yes, it can be a problem on hard mode and above starting at level one. However i think it brings depth to the battle, this way it ain't too easy to win. You don't want an easy game in this series.

The enemy main generals do block as well as the lieutenants. If this happens try circling around them and attack their back. This way their block is voided. Once you start hitting them, as soon as your moves end back off a bit and block yourself. when the enemy attacks you wait till he 's done. then go and circle around him again. continue the process.

Make sure you save your musou attack for the right opportunity. Usually i wait till he or she is melted down. Then i do the musou dance for his or her death blow.

Chaos mode is a good mode for the likes of Lu Bu, Cao Cao and Sun Jian. those charecters can hold their own. Especially Mr Lu Bu. He has that move that he does to destroy things in his way as well as move away from the battle scene. In other words his triangle attack once does the trick.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

As for Strike Force there's definitely no split screen/couch co-op:

http://www.koei.com/community/index.php?topic=11405.60

And that means that I won't be buying it. Yet another company ignores the fact that people occasionally live with or have other live humans over to their house and don't want to play a 1 player game in front of them.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Guah ha ha.. Yeah, well in my case, I ain't getting it because this game makes no sence. It's far fetched and basically another way to make money off of people...