The Star Ocean series.

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
avenger

The Star Ocean series.

Post by avenger »

well i can't wait to get the new star ocean last hope for ps3. i already have the movies from the game and i watched it entirely and i have to say , what an amazing game. i was left in the cold when i saw that only xbox 360 had the game. so i went to youtube and got the movies and put them in a folder and just watched them all. it took about 11 hours to complete. what a fantastic story. and i am sure game play is a step up from so3.

i think to be fair star ocean 2 had the best musical score. then came so3 and then the new one. i like all of the charecters in all the games but i think star ocean last hope has the best charecters because not only do they look real, but they really act out their parts as if they were your friends.. kay?
i really enjoyed lymel, she reminds me of my niece..

star ocean till the end of time was very well made as well. but after seeing the series go to the newest system, well all others just don't compare. but don't get me wrong, each game had it's feal and story. and all were impressive when we first go to play them. what do you all think?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: The Star Ocean series.

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I loved Star Ocean 2 once. Then I played Star Ocean 3 and *that* happened in the plot.

The series just died after that.

Given the reviews for the 360 version there's not much to convince me to get the Last Hope. Though I predict the sales of it will be more than double for the 360 version.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
avenger

Post by avenger »

well i'm buying it so that will help the sales kay?

what do you mean by that happened in so3?

i kinda agree that so2 was good and it is a bit better then so3 was. but i am convinced that the storyline in 4 is the best and well done kay?
nobody

Post by nobody »

i played star ocean 3,star ocean 4 and i just beat star ocean 1 a couple of days ago.

But i would have to say that star ocean 3 is the my favorite and i have yet to play star ocean 2.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Yukimura, i suggest you play star ocean 2. It was fun and a good story.
I already know how star ocean 4 goes because i have the entire movie of it. However i can't wait to play it. I love this game, and i think it's the best, story wise and the characters are very different.

For me i'd say this is how i rank them all.

1. Star Ocean Last Hope.
2. Star Ocean 2 or Second Departure.
3. Star Ocean Till the end of Time.
4. Star Ocean 1 or First Departure.

Not because of graffics. but i just can't stop watching the movie , the story is just so addictive.. and you gotta love Lymle and Sarah and Mericle.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Played the first three Star Oceans of the series, the first two were nearly immaculate. The third one severely ticked me off, especially with how memory was needed for the battle trophy data. I also disliked the character design of Star Ocean: 'Til the end of Time. I haven't played the fourth installment, but I have only heard bad things from the Xbox360 version, aspects that were suppose to be common in the series were left out. I also think the entire disc swapping is a little annoying. Hopefully it will get a new life on the PS3.

Out of all of them though, the second one was by far the best. Awesome story, good characters, difficult and the villains were intriguing.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
avenger

Post by avenger »

To me, I don't care about how the majority of people dislike things in a game. As far as I'm concerned, i enjoyed all of the star oceans, and eagerly await the fourth for ps3.

I thought the characters were good in SO3. Cliff Bitter was a very cool dude and a powerhouse.
And all those so called bad reviews about SO4, well they can go to hell, they can review however they want, but to me the game had a powerfull storyline, good characters and the battles looked good.

Just because graffics improve when a series goes to the newest generation console, doesn't mean everyone can go and give a bad review because they hate this and that about the game. There are lots of people still wanting to play these games.
I guess because i have been playing so long, i have grown acustomed to what games are going to please me. And let me tell you , SO3 and SO4 are not bad games. Sure there are somethings that could be better according to the majority 'reviewers' but I don't give a hoot about reviewers.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I've never played a Star Ocean. I've always wanted to try it but I haven't gotten around to it.

I will, however, buy this one for the PS3

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

RangerDeon wrote:I've never played a Star Ocean. I've always wanted to try it but I haven't gotten around to it.

You should try out the whole series really, it's a great piece.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I always wnated to play them through in order of release, but I hate playing ROMs on the computer. It just feels different than a console. So I never play the first part.. and I stopped playing the second one because it became suddenly ridicolously difficult.
avenger

Post by avenger »

There are ways around the difficultiness, you shouldn't have given up. A true gamer plays on no matter what.

You could have gone back to an easier place to level up a bit, and, created items that would help you in that area of difficultiness.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Even though I haven't played the fourth installment, after witnessing what was Star Ocean: 'til the end of time, I am very hesitant to give the series another shot. Speaking of the series, the PSP ports were done real well with added stuff to both games.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

avenger wrote:There are ways around the difficultiness, you shouldn't have given up. A true gamer plays on no matter what.

You could have gone back to an easier place to level up a bit, and, created items that would help you in that area of difficultiness.
Well, I had no problems in the dungeons before that one, but all of a sudden.. well.. I believe I survived two random encounters :D But I guess I will pick that game up again sometime.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Hirathien wrote:
RangerDeon wrote:I've never played a Star Ocean. I've always wanted to try it but I haven't gotten around to it.

You should try out the whole series really, it's a great piece.
If I like this one, I'll definitely try them out.

Just like with Suikoden, I usually try one, love it then try them all.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Freak

Post by Freak »

I'm playing Star Ocean 3 right now and I actually don't mind *that* plot twist. I kind of like the irony of it. The implications for Star Ocean 1 and 2 are really WTF, though. I think the game is quite good, alltogether. I particularly like the Dictionary feature and all the little details you learn from it. Some of the puzzles are quite annoying though and I hate some of the dungeons. Most of all the Kirlsa Training Hall or whatever, I get lost every single time. :x
Star Ocean 2 had a horribly boring intro and terrible dialogue, but it had Ashton. Best character. Ever. :mrgreen: And cheating with Item creation and making your characters practically invicible was so much fun.